NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Fashion Suicide
Roadhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Fashion Suicide »

David Locke wrote:Honestly, every promo Showtime ever has or will put out should be scored to "Just You and I," if only because I've never understood the (apparently) widespread hate of that scene even amongst fans -- and so perhaps such prolonged exposure would induce such people to warm to it a bit...
Me neither. I love that scene, and it's up there among my favorites. But these kinds of opinions about certain things spreads like flu.

I had a dream just before about a "new faces" teaser.. beeing slightly Cooper-esque about my dreams, i believe it will happen soon. (Though probably not, since i also had a dream some weeks ago where i was in some kind of Twin Peaks/Walking Dead universe, half prison, half great northern. I slept with Laura, Ben Horne got pissed and Daryl, TWD, got shot by masked police and then his soul left his body onto a prison-platform with a lot of synthesizers. His soul was David Bowie, and he started playing Lazarus while the end credits rolled. "Look at me, i'm in heaven". I Woke up with mixed feelings, and i sure don't hope my dream was right about that one.)
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

In the book TV Peaks the author is clearly a fan of that scene and spends like three pages on describing its qualities. One of the few things I've seen that have vindicated my appreciation for that scene! :)
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Funny... After hearing - much to my bewilderment - people hated the scene in question for years and years, I've met no-one but its fellow appreciators on here.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

AXX°N N. wrote:In the book TV Peaks the author is clearly a fan of that scene and spends like three pages on describing its qualities. One of the few things I've seen that have vindicated my appreciation for that scene! :)
It's a good and quite cinematic scene. It manages to convey a lot about the divide between James romantic ideals as they clash with his constant searching for a stronger love than the one he has on hand - in an attempt to fill the void from his loveless upbringing.

I assume that what people could bash is the song itself - but those banal lyrics are perfect at describing how immature is on the subject of human connection.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think maybe some dislike of the song stems from its subsequent (mis)use on the show? The instrumental gets played a lot over less-than-stellar James-Donna scenes over the course of season 2. My girlfriend, watching the show for the first time, liked the scene itself, but has come to roll her eyes every time the instrumental strikes up, because it seems like the show uses it to try to romanticize the unhealthy James/Donna dynamic. (E.g., James's San Francisco postcard: "Hey, I abandoned you during probably the most psychologically damaging period in your life and shacked up with a married woman, then after you drove who-knows-how-many miles to save my bacon, I abandoned you again. Next stop, Mexico! But don't worry, I'll tell you some stories one day." Cue romantic music. Awwwwwwww.)
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think maybe some dislike of the song stems from its subsequent (mis)use on the show? The instrumental gets played a lot over less-than-stellar James-Donna scenes over the course of season 2. My girlfriend, watching the show for the first time, liked the scene itself, but has come to roll her eyes every time the instrumental strikes up, because it seems like the show uses it to try to romanticize the unhealthy James/Donna dynamic. (E.g., James's San Francisco postcard: "Hey, I abandoned you during probably the most psychologically damaging period in your life and shacked up with a married woman, then after you drove who-knows-how-many miles to save my bacon, I abandoned you again. Next stop, Mexico! But don't worry, I'll tell you some stories one day." Cue romantic music. Awwwwwwww.)
I concur on that; it should have remained unique to Lynch's scene. Its effect in the first place was uncanny and ambiguous; on repeats, in trying to evoke the scene but falling short of it in terms of nuance, it jarred with its use as a musical motif.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

So Lynch likes podcasts and The Shield. Who would've thought
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

Major Briggs wrote:
So Lynch likes podcasts and The Shield. Who would've thought
first season of serial is basically twin peaks :lol:
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Well that was nicely cryptic and succinct and unmistakably Lynchean.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Considering Lynch's experience and work in sound design, I'd be very intrigued by a podcast made by him. It could be a fantastic radio play.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

“There are different threads in different parts of the U.S.” that eventually converge, Nevins says. “It does not go outside the U.S., but it is in multiple locations in the U.S.”

Hmmm.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Some interesting quotes:
None of the 18 episodes will be released in advance to critics, and very few details have leaked out.

Nevins lets it slip that Lynch’s character, the hearing-impaired FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole, is “pretty prominent” in the new season. “I probably said too much,” he adds.

For those expecting a similar structure to the original, which revolved around Laura’s death, Mark Frost issues a warning: “It’s going to be very different this time around.”

The scope of the reboot is greater, says Nevins, adding that the new installments of the drama reflect Lynch’s advancement as an artist. “I think he’s evolved to an even more extreme version of himself, but all of the Lynch themes are visible,” Nevins says.

Given the wider scope, it’s not surprising to hear that, though “Twin Peaks” returned to Snoqualmie, Wash., for some filming, certain storylines in the new season take place outside the Pacific Northwest, and the bulk of the new season was shot in Southern California.

“There are different threads in different parts of the U.S.” that eventually converge, Nevins says. “It does not go outside the U.S., but it is in multiple locations in the U.S.”

One last clue from Lynch: The film “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me,” he says, is very important to understanding what’s coming May 21.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

you can stream Windswept now :D

http://www.deezer.com/album/41032201