Twin Peaks Episode Guide

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Episode Guide

Post by MysteryMan »

Jerry, I think the episode guide you have put up on your site looks amazing. I have been checking them out for a few weeks now and I am really impressed. It looks so professional and there is so much work and thought put into it. The pictures are really fantastic, it makes you relive watching the scenes in a way.

That being said, I don't agree with you 100% in gradings of the episodes. I think especially episode 17 is one of the better episodes of the second half of the second season. I find especially the opening scene at the Palmer house and the funeral reception very powerful. Both very sad and very beautiful at the same time. Like Audrey mentioned the scene with Cooper and Audrey is really good, the same going for Catherine's talk with Truman, and Norma's confrontation with her mother. Despite not a lot happening (except the last 10 minutes) I think this episode has an elegance and direction, a vulnerability, that makes it stick out - that the episodes that followed didn't have. At least this is how I see it. So I would probably rate it B-. Also episode 23 I feel deserves a better rating. I was thrown away by the presence of Bob and the Man From Another Place in the very end of that episode. It was very unexpected, giving it the "oh my god" factor. He is not gone after all... I didn't find it silly at all. In fact very intriguing and as I was only 16 when I saw this the first time, could barely bear to look!!

I notice a lot of episodes got a C from you. Compared to the early episodes of TP I agree with you very much in that. Compared to other TV series though I think the episodes were A+ all the way.... Seen in this perspective there was never a bad moment for me in Twin Peaks, only some things could have been better. But it was never nowhere near what I would rate as "bad".
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I gave 23 a B+ !!! I just don't think it deserves an A and be compared to the likes of the Pilot, 2, 14 and 29.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

How in the world did you get those beautiful screenshots? They just jump off the monitor at you! I almost feel like I am watching the episode they are so vivid.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Snapz pro x for Mac. Very simple and easy! The great quality of the DVD's helps ;)
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Come on, Jerry! New episodes, new episodes!! I need it, I crave it.

Promise I'll resume the Palms Ever Itch entries for every entry you post!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey Horne wrote:Come on, Jerry! New episodes, new episodes!! I need it, I crave it.

Promise I'll resume the Palms Ever Itch entries for every entry you post!
It's a deal! I miss your Audrey thread :(

I wanted to take some time off to enjoy the weather, however, I was planning on resuming it this week. Should have the next one up in 2 or 3 days.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey Horne wrote:Promise I'll resume the Palms Ever Itch entries for every entry you post!
Done. It's your move.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Damn you, Jerry Earle and your diabolical and deadly game. (readers, I never beat, Jerry. In all the games, I never beat him. You don't know what he's capable of, you just don't know).

Okay, will get my entry up by tomorrow.

Looks good, Jer.

I don't know your thoughts on this episode yet, but mine are actually really high. I'd sound like a broken record, but most of my ratings for the episodes from the pilot to this one would hover in the solid A+, A, A- zone -with a possible B, B+ for the 2.03- 2.05 area.

This episode is in a difficult spot because it comes right after the dramatic, and deserving of its praise Lynch installment unmasking the killer. But it really is a solid entry. The tension is high, yet we still get the mundane daily life of the town. For the first time, the audience has the answer that Cooper does not. At the time, I never expected that we would know before Cooper. Actually, most people over the years that have watched the show with me, this is the episode we stop at. I'm not a fan of the following episode with the explanation at the Roadhouse, but I know I'm in the minority on that one -and wished the series kept going a little bit longer with Leland free. (hell, I did a whole reimagining of the series on that alone). But I feel this episode is successful in what many would think is a "filler" entry. The writing is good, the performances and essences to the characters are excellent.

The standouts to me are the Louise Dunbrowski reverie by the Horne Brothers, Ray Wise's stellar performance, and the beautiful Audrey/Cooper scene complete with cherry pie. It's such a pity that this is essentially the last scene before the writers and Maclachlan took it in another direction for obvious reasons, but also because it ends the wonderfully tense Cooper/Audrey/Ben Horne triangle.

Even the introduction of Norma's mother and Ernie Niles is welcomed- before knowing it leads to nowhere.

I'd give this one an A- or B+.

PS. The stills chosen look great.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

lol - thanks Audrey! I agree 100% with everything you have said (and to prove it I may steal some of it for my review) The last scene with Audrey and Cooper makes me a bit sad as, like you said, it's basically the last full scene they have alone with each other.

I'm house sitting for my parents right now and starting tonight, I'm locking myself in their home theatre and watching every episode of Peaks and will blog them all. More of the fun observations and nothing serious. Oh I might rant about not having a complete soundtrack box set, but what else is new. Off to start with the Pilot - right now!

Woo-Hoo!!

^ ^

P.S. I'm hoping to watch all 30 episodes in 7 days. I hope my teeth don't turn black...
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

wow, I'm loving these new off-the-cuff entries at your site.

For the washing machine outside the Johnson home, let's say it's part of the house that isn't finished yet. When Shelly protests about it, "Um, Leo do you think this is safe...?" Leo just pulls her close by the collar, "Shelly, you better make sure that gas line doesn't explode, or I'm going to be really mad. And I mean mad!" Or I like the idea that Shelly is the one doing construction on the house. "Shelly, when I get back these walls better be up, and I mean UP! And I want that dry wall really dry!" "Okay, Leo. Just as soon as I get done giving you a pint of my blood and regraveling the driveway..." "NOW SHELLY!"

I agree with you on the Washington rainy quality. But I think the first season does a really good job in getting as close to it as possible. Other thoughts of random -I love Bobby and Cooper's relationship in the pilot, "Bobby, here's how this is going to work: I'm going to ask you questions, and you're going to answer them. Simple and to the point." Audrey's short hair in the pilot doesn't bother me at all- it makes her tougher, hard for her first reveal- like an extreme version of Natalie Wood in Rebel Without a Cause. It's an extreme look that sets her apart. Then in the next episode when it gets longer and softens her, it's like a layer of the character is peeled away, part of the armor. Of course nothing beats her Veronica Lake peek-a-boo bob starting in 1.01 off set by her perfect beauty mark. Oh, man and did you get to her smoking in the bathroom with Donna scene yet? One of the most underappreciated scenes. That's my kind of show.

In any case, I won't spoil the show for you. Don't worry, Frost assures us, the killer will be unmasked by the end of the first season. I trust him.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Day two of my marathon starts today and look at the foggy view outside! I'm looking and hoping for dead corpses to wash ashore. I need some mystery in my life! The stripes in that bathroom remind me of the racing stripes on Eileen's wheelchair. Coincidence? I don't think so. How did she end up in the wheelchair? Giving birth to Ben's secret boy - John Justice Wheeler?
Attachments
FinderScreenSnapz063.jpg
FinderScreenSnapz063.jpg (48.47 KiB) Viewed 8464 times
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Cooper doesn't like birds - my hero. Where did Leo get that truck? Lucy is responsible for Waldo's death. Did you notice that the hot new perfume at Horne's department store is Invitation To Love? Is that promo standee Jade or Emerald? Jenny can be seen nude in Wild At Heart, she also used to go out with a Beastie Boy. Soup De Jour at the Double RR is 'Very Vegetable'. Hank is a klepto eh? Is this the weakest episode of season one? Why is Josie wearing a blanket?

Blasphemous!! It's a homerun with Audrey smoking in the closet alone, and meeting with Blackie -"hmmm, Hester Prynne." Cooper and Ed as Fred and Barney! Cooper and Audrey's milkshake... Nadine's "rejected." Walter Neft and Catherine, Waldo being shot..., Cooper in his tuxedo, and Audrey slipping the note under the door and seeing the Japanese stranger.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I agree it's a home run! But are the others grand slams? What is your pick for weakest episode from S1?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Nooooo, don't make me play Sophie's Choice with the first season.

If I had to give one up, it would be the fifth episode, you know episode four. (that drives me crazy, the second episode is episode one etc)
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

All right, it's back on.

Fun entry. And I agree, the second season premiere is completely underrated. I understand the semi-backlash of it though, and probably not the wisest choice to lure the casual viewer into a show. But Twin Peaks had so much working against it by then anyway -the anger people felt about the season finale and not finding out the killer, and now the announcement that it will be on at Saturdays at 10! (geez, know your target audience, ABC ... I think it should have been moved to Wednesdays if they were really supporting it. Don't make it compete with Cheers or LA Law, but couple it with thirtysomething and piggyback of the young urbanite, or the intellectual teenager, etc.)

Jerry's "s-n-a-g" is a snag. Spelling it out like you would when a young child is in a room so they won't know what's being talked about. Maybe he thinks the new girl (Audrey) is like a child and won't know. A snag is when something gets caughts or tugged on, but usually thought to be a minor problem, but a problem nonetheless.

Donna and the blue sweater doesn't work for me. I get it though, get what they're going for -at least the mystery and ambiguity of it. But it seems too extreme and glaring instead of interesting. It's forced in my opinion and comes off more embarassing than seductive or capitatving. James' "wow" can only be replied with a "really, James? Really?"

One character that is finally working though is Maddy. I thought that character was one of the weakest in the first season, but now a tone is found with her and she's interesting instead of a tagalong. When watching this back in 1990 (after calling in sick to my teenage job) when Maddy broke her glasses, I honestly expected her to just casually confess to Donna that she is in fact Laura.

I loved the return of Albert. You have to remember he was only in two episodes prior, and we didn't know he was coming back. Kimmy Robertson was a big hit of the first season, and she was bumped up to the opening credits. At the time, I thought she was laying it on a little thick in the premiere though and thought maybe the fandom went to her head -not the case at all.

I love Fenn in this one. The moment of lowering the mask after Ben leaves is one of the finest moments in the entire series, creating a fantastic sad image. And then coupled with Cooper's scenes -the tension is really high between these two magnificant characters. Lynch changing the shooting script slightly to make Audrey's praying scene appear that it could be inside Cooper's dreamstate, subconscious was a masterstroke.

And the casual pace of the Hayward supper club is firstrate.