Lara Flynn Boyle putting paid to Cooper and Audrey romance?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

underthefan
Great Northern Member

Re: Lara Flynn Boyle putting paid to Cooper and Audrey romance?

Post by underthefan »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Sure, but I still think it's weird.
It is weird. I especially took it to heart when in a Tweet Sherilyn basically bragged how glad she was she chose to do (a totally forgettable version) Of Mice and Men rather than FWWM. I remember when Miguel Ferrer talked about people who were disloyal to Lynch when it came to FWWM, and he may have been referring to Boyle, Fenn and Beymer in that context.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

underthefan wrote: It is weird. I especially took it to heart when in a Tweet Sherilyn basically bragged how glad she was she chose to do (a totally forgettable version) Of Mice and Men rather than FWWM. I remember when Miguel Ferrer talked about people who were disloyal to Lynch when it came to FWWM, and he may have been referring to Boyle, Fenn and Beymer in that context.
At the end of the day, we're fans. We eat up all the Twin Peaks we can and it's our sole focus. For many actors, it's just another job. The show got cancelled and the cast and crew moved on to new things. Would I want to be called back to work on a continuation of a project I did a couple of years ago? Possibly not. We have to separate something we watch at our leisure from the hard work of being a cast or crew member of a TV show. Truth is, I'd probably choose something new over something I've done before too, unless I was strapped for cash. Actors also fear typecasting, so that's another factor.

Going from a Hollywood-financed TV show of Twin Peaks to an indie movie financed by an obscure European financing organisation might also have been an issue.

People move on, not everyone necessarily enjoyed working on Twin Peaks or felt any desire to go back to it in the early 1990s. Such is life.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Gabriel wrote:
underthefan wrote: It is weird. I especially took it to heart when in a Tweet Sherilyn basically bragged how glad she was she chose to do (a totally forgettable version) Of Mice and Men rather than FWWM. I remember when Miguel Ferrer talked about people who were disloyal to Lynch when it came to FWWM, and he may have been referring to Boyle, Fenn and Beymer in that context.
At the end of the day, we're fans. We eat up all the Twin Peaks we can and it's our sole focus. For many actors, it's just another job. The show got cancelled and the cast and crew moved on to new things. Would I want to be called back to work on a continuation of a project I did a couple of years ago? Possibly not. We have to separate something we watch at our leisure from the hard work of being a cast or crew member of a TV show. Truth is, I'd probably choose something new over something I've done before too, unless I was strapped for cash. Actors also fear typecasting, so that's another factor.

Going from a Hollywood-financed TV show of Twin Peaks to an indie movie financed by an obscure European financing organisation might also have been an issue.

People move on, not everyone necessarily enjoyed working on Twin Peaks or felt any desire to go back to it in the early 1990s. Such is life.
This is all 100% true, but let's not forget Lynch gave people like Fenn and Boyle careers, and re-started Beymer's career as well. Clearly, he doesn't seem to hold grudges against them and is willing to work with them again, but I think it's worth noting that.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

underthefan wrote: This is all 100% true, but let's not forget Lynch gave people like Fenn and Boyle careers, and re-started Beymer's career as well. Clearly, he doesn't seem to hold grudges against them and is willing to work with them again, but I think it's worth noting that.
True, but if there were supposedly rivalries (I'm not keen on gossip and we don't know the extent of things) then neither of the ladies concerned might have wanted to go back to something that at the time held bad memories for them. There are places I've worked at that I didn't enjoy or turned sour and I know I'd never go within a mile of them again. In time I've forgiven people concerned, but that doesn't make me want to continue a relationship with those former co-workers. Sometimes you hope you learn lessons and move on.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Gabriel wrote:
underthefan wrote: Sometimes you hope you learn lessons and move on.
Or you vent in interviews, at fan conventions and on - drumroll, please! - Twitter. Even after a quarter of a century.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Agent Earle wrote: Or you vent in interviews, at fan conventions and on - drumroll, please! - Twitter. Even after a quarter of a century.
Ha! Sadly so true! ;)

It must be awful, though, to be able to narrow something you consider bad in your life to one small era and be able to pinpoint that as the moment you consider your life went wrong.

I mean, we've all done terrible or stupid things in our lives to ourselves and to other people who deserved better, but we've stumbled along and can usually recover or at least move on in a different direction. I could point to errors in judgement that added years to my progression in my career or knocked my development as a person, betrayals of friends I can never forgive myself for, just as I can point to things people did to me that damaged me.

But I'm still here, 42 years old, 'battlescarred' and more streetwise and hopefully the better for it. But to be able to look at a time quarter of a century ago and say 'That's where I peaked' (massive apologies for the unwanted pun) and 'that person or situation forced my career to plateau, then spend the rest of my life in decline' must be horrifically difficult to deal with; that one moment affecting everything that follows.

We've seen it with Orson Welles, who never quite got past Citizen Kane, with George Takei's seeming obsession with William Shatner (they last appeared on screen together, fleetingly, in 1991) and, obviously, some Twin Peaks alumni, among many others. For some people, I feel sympathy and others a slightly contemptuous pity. It's a sad fact that the media's a tough industry.

But, going back to the original point, ranting about people quarter of a century later lacks class and does no one any favours.

Still, who knows? Maybe the final scene of season three will seem like a 'happily ever after' right before white-eyed versions of Michael Ontkean, Sherilyn Fenn, Lara Flynn Boyle and Heather Graham burst into the room and mow everyone down with Uzis!! ;)
Last edited by Gabriel on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

LOL! That last paragraph, man... :)
Other than that, beautifully put. Don't have a thing to add.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Yep, well said, Gabriel! I definitely have sympathy for people like Fenn or even Boyle, which is why I wouldn't board the hate-train. I do feel a certain amount of disappointment learning about some of their personal issues and, worse, unwillingness to move on past it and accept one's wrongdoings. Which is why I'm really happy that my fave, Sheryl Lee, (who even Sherilyn always speaks very highly of) is the stand up, classy, and generous human being that she is.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

underthefan wrote:Yep, well said, Gabriel! I definitely have sympathy for people like Fenn or even Boyle, which is why I wouldn't board the hate-train. I do feel a certain amount of disappointment learning about some of their personal issues and, worse, unwillingness to move on past it and accept one's wrongdoings. Which is why I'm really happy that my fave, Sheryl Lee, (who even Sherilyn always speaks very highly of) is the stand up, classy, and generous human being that she is.
Oh, there are a LOT of stand up, classy, and generous human beings among the cast, to be sure - besides Lee, think Amick, Marshall, and Ashbrook, to stick with the (originally) younger crowd. None of them developed (at least not to my knowing, correct me if you know otherwise), for lack of a better term, "personality" issues due to them being in the spotlight at a relatively early stage of their careers. It's just that the publicity and human interest tend to be drawn to nastier stuff...
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Agent Earle wrote:
underthefan wrote:Yep, well said, Gabriel! I definitely have sympathy for people like Fenn or even Boyle, which is why I wouldn't board the hate-train. I do feel a certain amount of disappointment learning about some of their personal issues and, worse, unwillingness to move on past it and accept one's wrongdoings. Which is why I'm really happy that my fave, Sheryl Lee, (who even Sherilyn always speaks very highly of) is the stand up, classy, and generous human being that she is.
Oh, there are a LOT of stand up, classy, and generous human beings among the cast, to be sure - besides Lee, think Amick, Marshall, and Ashbrook, to stick with the (originally) younger crowd. None of them developed (at least not to my knowing, correct me if you know otherwise), for lack of a better term, "personality" issues due to them being in the spotlight at a relatively early stage of their careers. It's just that the publicity and human interest tend to be drawn to nastier stuff...
You're absolutely right, Earle! 95% of the cast are nothing but stand up, classy, and generous people. I only mentioned Lee because she is my favorite, and it would always surprise me when SF would speak highly of her because she may be the only one she spoke highly of.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

underthefan wrote:Which is why I'm really happy that my fave, Sheryl Lee, (who even Sherilyn always speaks very highly of) is the stand up, classy, and generous human being that she is.
This, this, 100% this.
She's my favorite 'TP person' too.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
underthefan wrote:Which is why I'm really happy that my fave, Sheryl Lee, (who even Sherilyn always speaks very highly of) is the stand up, classy, and generous human being that she is.
This, this, 100% this.
She's my favorite 'TP person' too.
High five, Agent Stanley!
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

1992 was a very different time for the cast of Twin Peaks. Despite the show's cancellation and its decline in popularity, the cast members (particularly the younger ones) were a hot property at the time, and were being courted by Hollywood for roles in feature films. Boyle and MacLachlan in particular went on to have pretty healthy careers for over a decade. You can't really blame them for striking while the iron was hot. As much as I love it, Twin Peaks as a property was pretty much dead. FWWM was a labor of love and while I can admire people like Sheryl Lee and James Marshall (who were also in demand at the time) for their dedication to appear in it, I can also understand that some of the others chose to move on to other things.

I'm still a bit dumbfounded that Sherilyn Fenn didn't hit it big. She had the world at her fingertips and made some odd choices. She says she was too picky and wanted material with substance. She should be as big as Julia Roberts today, not sure what happened.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Lara Flynn Boyle putting paid to Cooper and Audrey romance?

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I wouldn't say as big as Julia Roberts, but I agree, she deserved a lot more than what she got.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

It confuses me that Fenn has criticized Season 2 and others for meddling in the story, while at the same time she had very strong ideas about the Audrey character that may have contributed to the character losing some of her edge. Her transformation into a successful businesswoman was a really boring story and it sounds like she had a hand in that direction, to some extent.