Lara Flynn Boyle putting paid to Cooper and Audrey romance?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: Lara Flynn Boyle putting paid to Cooper and Audrey romance?

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Agent Earle wrote:At least in LFB's case, you can partially excuse what she did on account of her youth, inexperience and hotheadedness at the time; SF, on the other hand, is (or at least should be) a grown and mature woman and she's still unable (unwilling?) to come to grips with it.
Yep
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Not to mention, based on Sherilyn Fenn's Twitter activity, which often reads as petty, childish, and jealous (for example, liking a tweet of someone criticizing Kimmy Robertson, bemoaning that she is not included in TP promo, etc. etc.), I have become much more suspicious and distrustful of her claims of LFB sabotage.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

At the risk of turning this from a LFB hate-thread into a SF one, we do need to consider that Fenn, despite her own character flaws, actually knew LFB backstage and perhaps is merely being candid about her true colors as she saw them. It's difficult to say how justified she is in her comments without the full story. Her being the only one to candidly paint LFB as trouble means, as an anomaly, that she's either right or wrong.

What I find interesting is MacLachlan was always in tandem with LFB resisting something; she declined FWWM, forcing Lynch to re-cast, and Kyle, until the last minute, also bowed out, being the only cast members to do so -- it seems, regardless of all potentially decent motivations behind the screen -- that MacLachlan and Boyle were always the ones responsible for big external changes. Being the biggest stars attached to the property, then flaking out, it seems reasonable to me for Fenn to feel a certain enmity, if in her eyes she saw this as someone who shouldn't have muddying the waters.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

AXX°N N. wrote:What I find interesting is MacLachlan was always in tandem with LFB resisting something; she declined FWWM, forcing Lynch to re-cast, and Kyle, until the last minute, also bowed out, being the only cast members to do so -- it seems, regardless of all potentially decent motivations behind the screen -- that MacLachlan and Boyle were always the ones responsible for big external changes. Being the biggest stars attached to the property, then flaking out, it seems reasonable to me for Fenn to feel a certain enmity, if in her eyes she saw this as someone who shouldn't have muddying the waters.
Technically, Richard Beymer also refused to be in FWWM -- he didn't want to play a character who gives a high school student coke in exchange for sex (at least, not overtly on screen). However, as far as I know, Audrey was never in the FWWM script (not even in the scenes with all the other Hornes, oddly), so I doubt she particularly cares what actors did or didn't bail on the film.

I think MacLachlan's diminished role on FWWM was more due to his friendship with Lynch souring after Lynch's season 2 abandonment rather than anything related to LFB. Were they even still together at that point?

In terms of people besides SF saying negative things about LFB, I remember seeing a quote attributed to Lynch saying he tried to call LFB about FWWM, but that it would be easier to get the Pope on the phone than her. I'd be interested to know if this is an actual quote and what the source is, because I've never been able to track it down.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote:What I find interesting is MacLachlan was always in tandem with LFB resisting something; she declined FWWM, forcing Lynch to re-cast, and Kyle, until the last minute, also bowed out, being the only cast members to do so -- it seems, regardless of all potentially decent motivations behind the screen -- that MacLachlan and Boyle were always the ones responsible for big external changes. Being the biggest stars attached to the property, then flaking out, it seems reasonable to me for Fenn to feel a certain enmity, if in her eyes she saw this as someone who shouldn't have muddying the waters.
Technically, Richard Beymer also refused to be in FWWM -- he didn't want to play a character who gives a high school student coke in exchange for sex (at least, not overtly on screen). However, as far as I know, Audrey was never in the FWWM script (not even in the scenes with all the other Hornes, oddly), so I doubt she particularly cares what actors did or didn't bail on the film.

I think MacLachlan's diminished role on FWWM was more due to his friendship with Lynch souring after Lynch's season 2 abandonment rather than anything related to LFB. Were they even still together at that point?

In terms of people besides SF saying negative things about LFB, I remember seeing a quote attributed to Lynch saying he tried to call LFB about FWWM, but that it would be easier to get the Pope on the phone than her. I'd be interested to know if this is an actual quote and what the source is, because I've never been able to track it down.
Audrey was never in the FWWM script? That's curious 'cause
AVC: You weren’t in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. Was there a specific reason why? Some sources say you didn’t want to do it, some say you did but couldn’t work out the scheduling.
SF: I was just doing Of Mice And Men. David was mad at me. I was going to do it. I was set to do it! I was like, “What am I supposed to do?” And then they were going to have me do it in between that and whatever I was going to do next, but he wanted my hair to be cut, and there was this stupid thing where… [Dismissively.] Really, if they’d really wanted me, they could’ve figured it out. Not that they didn’t really want me to do it, but productions like to have you and just you, you know what I mean? The dates were completely conflicting, because I was supposed to be in Santa Ynez filming Of Mice And Men for eight weeks, so… that’s what happened.
(For all his consistently stellar performance, I find it funny how Beymer stated he had trouble getting into the character at first, baguette anecdote and all... and also later? Yes sir, your character's defining trait in the central Laura Palmer narrative is indeed that he groomed a teenager into prostitution and sold her drugs and had sex with her? This is hardly news)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

My intention is definitely not to turn this into a SF or LFB hate thread. Despite my soured personal feelings regarding Fenn, I still admire her acting abilities and her performance as Audrey. My point was simply that if I have learned anything in life is that every situation has not two, but many sides to it, and that nothing is simply black or white, including her contention regarding LFB, which should be taken with a pinch of salt.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

She may be in the early draft which is not publicly available, which Bob Engels has discussed and which comes up here on occasion. The later drafts do have the Ben scene but not Audrey.

I think Ben, like many characters on the show, is a figure with both a whimsical lightness and a real darkness existing side by side, even contradictory. I can understand Richard Beymer not wanting to play the scene given the more kooky character Ben became later on (some of which I think was a valid evolution - I liked "Good Ben"), but the fact is Ben was running a brothel and working around the drug trade. I think all those light and dark aspects of Ben exist in the same character, and that's okay.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

laughingpinecone wrote:Audrey was never in the FWWM script?
Maybe she was in earlier drafts? I've always found it very odd that she is the one series main character (besides Catherine) who is absent from the shooting script, even though her entire family appears (and she is referenced in dialogue). Her explanation in that interview is all over the place and really doesn't explain anything.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

AXX°N N. wrote:At the risk of turning this from a LFB hate-thread into a SF one, we do need to consider that Fenn, despite her own character flaws, actually knew LFB backstage and perhaps is merely being candid about her true colors as she saw them. It's difficult to say how justified she is in her comments without the full story. Her being the only one to candidly paint LFB as trouble means, as an anomaly, that she's either right or wrong.
Sherilyn is not the only one - it also comes from production staff and the writers - but she is the most vocal.

Regardless, I see no point in raking LFB over the coals 25 years later. She made her choices and she turned up her nose at FWWM - fine. She was young and she's had a difficult time, just as Sherilyn Fenn has. It is what it is.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

I remember a quote from Sherilyn Fenn back in the day where she said she chose not to be in FWWM because of how S2 turned out.
She sings a different song today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:I remember a quote from Sherilyn Fenn back in the day where she said she chose not to be in FWWM because of how S2 turned out.
She sings a different song today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It figures.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

N. Needleman wrote:Sherilyn is not the only one - it also comes from production staff and the writers - but she is the most vocal.
Yeah I worded it sort of strange -- I meant to say, that while there are several with things to say about LFB, they're always careful and distant about it, whereas Fenn is more cut-throat.
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Technically, Richard Beymer also refused to be in FWWM.
Never knew that. Weird, because Ben's role on the show was basically to be a suspect for Laura's murder -- and he went through filming the Maddy scene as spoiler decoy. Maybe FWWM struck him the same way it struck Peggy Lipton -- I recall in an interview she said she felt the film was 'a contest to see who was suffering the most' in a very dismissive way.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

To me the explanation that Beymer refused to shoot scenes for FWWM because he didn't want to be a guy who would give drugs to a teenager in exchange for sex makes absolutely no sense.
It's like Sheryl Lee refusing to appear because she doesn't want to play a teenager with a drug addiction. But that's the character she signed to play in the first place.
Beymer's reason seems like smokescreen to me.
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:To me the explanation that Beymer refused to shoot scenes for FWWM because he didn't want to be a guy who would give drugs to a teenager in exchange for sex makes absolutely no sense.
It's like Sheryl Lee refusing to appear because she doesn't want to play a teenager with a drug addiction. But that's the character she signed to play since day one.
Beymer's reason seems like smokescreen to me.
I think there's the issue that the actors explored and developed these characters across a couple of years and FWWM would effectively have erased all of that development and added different, somewhat unsavoury aspects to some characters. Sherilyn Fenn said at the time that she loved Audrey and how she'd developed and didn't want to go back to 'Pilot' Audrey. Ben had become a loveable rogue trying to be become good; it's a heck of a turnaround to be shown offering a teenager drugs in exchange for sex and, perhaps, making the character irredeemable in the eyes of the viewers.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Sure, but I still think it's weird.