Twin Peaks fan = horror fan?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks fan = horror fan?

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

djerdap wrote:Polanski's Apartment Trilogy is definitely the epitome of creepiness in film. Repulsion in particular seems to be an influence on Eraserhead.
Those were exactly my thoughts when I watched Repulsion. The whole atmosphere and setting felt so familiar. IMO Deneuve's best performance and one of the most disturbing final shots ever in cinema.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Not the type of horrors I've seen mentioned below, but I very much enjoy classic horror, especially Roger Corman's EAP adaptations with Vincent Price.
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

Love horror. All the classics have been mentioned, but there have been some really good ones over the last few years - It Follows, the Babadook, Paranormal Activity, Insidious, The Conjuring.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

I like some horror films, but the genre is riddled with cheesy storylines and jumpscares, so majority of them are quite rubbish, especially never ones. I liked The Witch tho - the story was original and it didn't rely on cheap gimmicks.
The cow jumped over the moon.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

I don't bother with splatter pictures or any recent ghost/possession films, but I do at least appreciate that some of the newer releases seem to be circling back to suspense and psychological terror. I didn't think It Follows or The Babadook were anywhere near as good as I'd been led to believe, but still, appreciate what they were doing. The one I did really like though was Goodnight Mommy. It reminded me a bit of Lynch and of Brian Evenson (one of my favorite authors) in that it didn't feel the need to explain things and took a weird kind of detached or clinical approach to some weird maybe abstract ideas about horror. I don't articulate my thoughts well sometimes, but anyway, I'd recommend that film to anyone that likes both horror and David Lynch.
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

goodnight mommy is definitely a very strong film. i think a lot of people were disappointed in the babadook...but i enjoyed it nevertheless. i probably would have liked it more had i not read so many reviews. i agree about slasher movies...most are truely awful. then again, i find very "bad" (not sure that is the right word) movies often more entertaining than good ones. i really like h.g. lewis for instance, although his movies are not all exactly bad - they are cheap though.
despite mostly disliking them, there are a few slasher movies that are really creative and engaging. george romero's "martin" ( 1978) is my favorite romero movie, and it's really more or less a slasher picture. and there was a quiet little release called "may" (2002) by director lucky mckee which impressed me quite a lot. lovely performances and a pretty surreal concept.
next step: rocket science!
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

the woods wrote: and there was a quiet little release called "may" (2002) by director lucky mckee which impressed me quite a lot. lovely performances and a pretty surreal concept.
Did you see McKee's following film, the woods? 'The Woods'? :)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

May and The Woods are great, as is practically anything else from this director, in particular Red (2008) about an old man getting revenge on thugs who murdered his faithful companion dog, and The Woman (2011) about a feral female discovered in the forest by a very disfunctional (to say the least) family who sets upon a task to civilize her. McKee (he also contributed an episode of the excellent Masters of Horror anthology show, "Sick Girl") is such a good director, albeit a criminally underrated one, and the stories he tells are never less than compelling; he's truly one of my favorites.

Oh, and btw, regards to everyone on this great forum from the first-time poster, long-time reader! What a great time to be a Twin Peaks fan, eh? :D
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

no, saturn's child - i wasn't aware of "the woods" but will definitely check it out. thanks for the heads up!

and yes to this being the right time to be into twin peaks.
there were some cool filmmakers on the masters of horror anthology. i remember the joe dante and argento epis very well!
next step: rocket science!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Masters of Horror was truly great, especially in terms of the gore, violence and sex boundaries they were able to push on television. And it also ran on Showtime (it was the show which put it on my radar actually), the fact that gives me high hopes for new Twin Peaks.
The fact that I'm a sucker for horror anthology TV shows didn't stand in the way in the slightest :) One of these days, I'm going to treat myself to a grand horror anthology re-watch, which will incorporate shows like Tales from the Darkside, The Hitchhiker, Alfred Hitchcock Presents (the 80's version), Monsters and Tales from the Crypt. Any of you remember any of those?
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

I'm a Twin Peaks fan and a HUGE horror fan. Most particularly psychological horror. I find it's a rare genre that really forces you to move outside of your comfort zone and confront your own demons. My favorite horror franchise is hands down Silent Hill. It's actually a video game series that debuted on the PlayStation back in 1999. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who is a Twin Peaks fan. The games are very surreal, light on combat, and extremely story driven with a razor tight plot. It's a horror story but it's also a sort of romantic love story and feels a bit Lynchian at times. The game developers were huge fans of David Lynch and even included a Lynch Street in the town of Silent HIll. :)
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Isn't silent hill made by Kojima?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

TvinPiks wrote:Hello to all,

my second post here, great site, exciting times for us lifelong TP addicts. Here's a question that's been on my mind a few times: how many of you TP fans are also horror fans? I know I am, and I've been wondering if there's something in a horror fan's taste that makes him more acceptive of TP's peculiar, unique pulse. TP's a mixture of numerous different genres, modes, aesthetics, approaches, to be sure, but horror seems to stand out the most, what with all the frightening otherworldly stuff, Maddy's graphic murder, the last episode etc.
I think Twin Peaks mostly appeals to the artistic the creative the philosophical and the adventurous. Those of us willing to go off the beaten path. That group may include a few horror fans but more compatible are fans of avant garde. That being said TP does integrate some elements of psychological horror at key points in the story.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

krishnanspace wrote:Isn't silent hill made by Kojima?
No, Kojima wanted to reboot the Silent Hill franchise with Guillermo del Toro but the project ran into quite a few roadblocks and was sadly scrapped. :(
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Twin Peaks got me interested in the horror genre. I hate 'realistic' stuff with humans stalking people and torturing and cutting them up; that's just vile and I take no pleasure in it. I can't cope with Miike most of the time either. I like a creepy, subtle ghost story that plays on your imagination. I adore the Nakata/Tsuruta Ringu films and the Shimizu Ju-On films (although White Ghost went in for realistic violence and made me feel physically sick) and quite a lot of K-Horror as well. I'll always love Hammer Horror though. Interested to see The VVitch mentioned here. Need to pick up that one.