NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by dronerstone »

Compared to other current TV content, it looked warm to me, to be honest. I immediately got that feeling I got from the old Peaks, when I spotted the soft, slightly brown/orange tone. It gave me that vintage vibe...
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Soolsma wrote:Woah, I actually like the colors in the teaser
Fair enough! It's a matter of taste, I guess.

I'm certainly not beholden to the look of the original show by the way. FWWM has a very different feel, and I certainly like the way that looks well enough. I just hope that the revival will have a distinctive beauty of it's own, which is something I simply can't see in this murky brown teaser.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

You should also take into account the different settings in the pictures you compared.

I also think most 90's tv had less natural colors compared to what's generally on tv nowadays.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

dronerstone wrote:Compared to other current TV content, it looked warm to me, to be honest. I immediately got that feeling I got from the old Peaks, when I spotted the soft, slightly brown/orange tone. It gave me that vintage vibe...
Same!
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Yeah, definitely looks like a set (after all, he's in costume).

As for whether or not it's actual footage from the show, a long take, a reaction shot, or just something they did up really quick for publicity, or hell, just literal footage of Lynch having some downtime on set ... who knows!

But, I personally like the look, even if it's just press material. It's warm, but, it's not aggressively warm like some spots of the show were (someone posted an example a few posts above of the original series, and, I personally find it too hot). I've said before though that I always liked/preferred the idea of a cold looking Twin Peaks though (both in terms of time of year outside and the weather, but, also the look), so, I might be in the minority. Of course, a place like the Double R feels right to be shot a little on the hot side just because that place is supposed to be sort of the beating heart of Twin Peaks. Regardless, colour timing tends to be one of the last steps, so, I wouldn't really use this as an absolute reference for what the show will look like anyway.

Also, the actual quality; was worried that going digital would result in too sharp of a look (keeping in mind that my only touch stone for how Lynch handled digital was .. well, Inland Empire, which was on DV and ugly-as-sin, albeit prolly by design). This looks pretty good.

As for the slowed-down/redone theme/remixed/whatever, love how heavy the bass is near the end (around 18 seconds). Very ominous and dark.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I like the teaser with the FBI guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I just choked on my donut a little bit.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

It's not a shot from the series. There's a crew member's hand holding a coffee cup haohazardly at the edge of the screen for crying out loud. I strongly suspect that it was shot by Showtime and not even TP crew.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

ForKeeps wrote:It's not a shot from the series. There's a crew member's hand holding a coffee cup haohazardly at the edge of the screen for crying out loud. I strongly suspect that it was shot by Showtime and not even TP crew.
Yup, fully agreed. I don't think this teaser is representative of the show's visual style and aesthetic in any way.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Mordeen wrote:All I have to do is remember Dell Mibbler shuffling oh-so-slowly across the bank floor to remind me that it is indeed possible that we could see Cole mouth sexing a donut in protracted silence during an actual scene. This is Twin Peaks, after all.

-Mordeen
It would be funny if there would be a scene like this where Gordon eats a donut and takes long time doing it, and someone is talking to him (the one who is seen holding a cup of coffee). She(?) talks and talks and talks, Gordon eats and eats and eats. And after the long talking is over, Gordon says: "EXCUSE ME, DID YOU SAY SOMETHING?"

Because that looks like there's something going on, someone talking to him, and he's not listening at all - only focusing on taking another bite of the donut, like an innocent kid who just wants to get more of that taste in his mouth :D
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Rudagger wrote:I've said before though that I always liked/preferred the idea of a cold looking Twin Peaks though (both in terms of time of year outside and the weather, but, also the look), so, I might be in the minority.
That coldness is good outside. But if you bring that cold feeling also to interiors, I think it kills some of the feeling Twin Peaks originally had. I loved the feeling of the walls and furniture warming the characters and the viewers from the coldness of outside.

But as that was already pretty much gone already in Fire Walk with Me, I'm ok with S3 being whatever it wants to be. But I would definitely prefer the look of the originals instead of what we see in the teaser. To me it looks a bit too artificially "sepia"-like. It kinda brings you back in the 30's instead of the 50's. But maybe that's where they want to go aesthetically in S3.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime SPOILERS Thread

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
I'll predict that a teaser trailer will play on the 9th at the TCA's but won't be shown to the public until the TP marathon on Showtime 5 days later.
Do you still think the same thing after this last teaser ?
Maybe. Or they might just play that one. Who knows.
Ok. I hope we will have at least the reléase date!!
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Rami Airola wrote:
Rudagger wrote:I've said before though that I always liked/preferred the idea of a cold looking Twin Peaks though (both in terms of time of year outside and the weather, but, also the look), so, I might be in the minority.
That coldness is good outside. But if you bring that cold feeling also to interiors, I think it kills some of the feeling Twin Peaks originally had. I loved the feeling of the walls and furniture warming the characters and the viewers from the coldness of outside.

But as that was already pretty much gone already in Fire Walk with Me, I'm ok with S3 being whatever it wants to be. But I would definitely prefer the look of the originals instead of what we see in the teaser. To me it looks a bit too artificially "sepia"-like. It kinda brings you back in the 30's instead of the 50's. But maybe that's where they want to go aesthetically in S3.
Seconded. I particularly enjoyed the Great Northern interior in the series. It felt so cosy and warm.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

1) I don't think we can take the color correction of this teaser to be representative of the series.

2) I love the warmth and "coziness" that most of the original series exudes with its welcoming earth tones and super-saturated reds and oranges, etc. But I also love the bizarre, green-inflected, sunlit darkness of FWWM which is more de-saturated and "colder," visually. Or even the comparatively "cold" look of the Pilot. In each case, the visual look was beautiful partly because it was completely fitting for the material. I trust Lynch to have concocted a visual (and aural) aesthetic for these new episodes which is likewise fitting and beautiful, regardless of whether it resembles the original series very much.

3) In fact, I would very much prefer that S3 didn't look just like the original series. I don't think it will just by virtue of Lynch's evolution as a filmmaker, but there's no reason to just copy and paste former glories. I suspect the new season will have similarities with the old look, but ultimately break new ground. Which is exactly how the season as a whole should be IMO -- something old and familiar/cozy mixed with something incredibly, uncannily new and strange. It doesn't have to reach FWWM levels of intentional subversion or whatever, but then again I suspect it will look and feel quite different from FWWM as well, that it may be closer to Mulholland Drive mixed with some of the insanity of Inland Empire than anything else.

4) After all, these episodes are merely the canvas on which Lynch is painting his newest work; his eccentricities and evolution as an artist will be what shapes the work, not some pre-conceived notions of how Twin Peaks is "supposed" to look. All great series evolve with time, anyway, often becoming visually (and thematically) darker, or just different. If we're to look at S1&2, FWWM and the new episodes as three different parts of the TP whole, then I don't see why the new episodes would be expected to revert to the style of how the work operated in the very beginning. It would be like if Season 6 of The Sopranos suddenly ditched its doom-laden, apocalyptic de-saturated palette for the brighter tones and mood of its Season 1 episodes. What's the point in going backwards, unless it actually has some solid narrative or thematic motivation?
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

1) Very

2) Well

3) Said

4) Indeed.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .