Part 2 of Journey Through Twin Peaks: The Center Cannot Hold

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mb3
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 2 of Journey Through Twin Peaks: The Center Cannot

Post by Mb3 »

bosguy1981 wrote:Looking forward to the next chapter in this series! And then I'm realllly looking forward to seeing you tackle FWWM & The Missing Pieces.
Me too. I've got very high expectations for it, especially for that fourth and final part of our journey through Twin Peaks. That'll proably be the climax of it all.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Thanks, guys. I'm wondering how I should deal with the Missing Pieces. All the options are problematic for me:

1) Treating them as examples of deleted footage/alternate routes before moving onto a discussion of FWWM, the finished film. This could work, practically speaking, but I consider the Missing Pieces not just a collection of fragments but also a loose work with its own identity so this approach seems too dismissive.

2) Discussing the Missing Pieces as a distinct entity before moving on to FWWM. This is how I prefer to watch them - as a bridge between the TV show and the film - but the video series is structured chronologically so I don't like this. Even the asides follow this pattern, plus they usually look back rather than leap forward (true of both the Laura chapter, and the upcoming Cooper one). Since part of my purpose is tracing the development of the saga over time, jumping ahead to look at something Lynch designed in 2014 feels too contrary.

3) Covering FWWM and the Missing Pieces simultaneously. I see the two as distinct works rather than part of the same story so this doesn't work for me, tempting as it may be in the Lodge-focused chapter for example. Most importantly, I think quite a bit of the stuff in the Missing Pieces reflects 2014 Lynch rather than 1992 Lynch (see above).

4) Going ahead and dealing at length with the Missing Pieces AFTER FWWM. This makes the most sense in terms of how my series is structured but I want FWWM to serve as the climax. A lengthy analysis of the Pieces would detract from this, especially since they mostly take a step backwards from our perspective in FWWM.

5) Addressing the Missing Pieces only briefly after FWWM. While the series will climax with FWWM, there will be one more chapter, an epilogue of sorts. It will cover all the post-FWWM stuff: the Log Lady intros, the "What Does She See, What Does She Hear?" video, and the impact Peaks & FWWM had on Lynch's subsequent films. (I know exactly how I'm going to end the series, not including the final musical montage, and I'm going to let it be a surprise. :) I think it will be.) It would certainly make sense to throw the Missing Pieces in here as well. But again, they seem to deserve a bit more than that cursory treatment.

So I'm in a bind. We shall see...
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Thanks, guys. I'm wondering how I should deal with the Missing Pieces..
Having watched them over the weekend, I'm minded of a snake shedding skin, or a butterfly emerging from a chrysalis. FWWM got the the core of what it needed to be. Much of the cut material featuring TV characters is leftovers from a dead TV show, shaken off for TP's new incarnation. There were a couple of nice scenes, but I think they're an interesting footnote rather than anything all that worthwhile.
HoodedMatt
Roadhouse Member

Post by HoodedMatt »

I've just watched both parts today and thoroughly enjoyed them. Lots of food for thought and I'm looking forward to the next course!
Jude
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jude »

I watched the latest part yesterday, it's so fascinating to watch these, keep up the good work!! 8)
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks again for the feedback, it's good to hear people are enjoying them.

Re: The Missing Pieces
Gabriel wrote:Having watched them over the weekend, I'm minded of a snake shedding skin, or a butterfly emerging from a chrysalis. FWWM got the the core of what it needed to be. Much of the cut material featuring TV characters is leftovers from a dead TV show, shaken off for TP's new incarnation. There were a couple of nice scenes, but I think they're an interesting footnote rather than anything all that worthwhile.
Although I see more value in them, this is probably how I will end up treating them in the video. Hell, I'm sure in 2016-17 I will be compelling to add Part 5 (and possibly contradict numerous things I've said in the first 4 parts, haha). At that point I can devote more extended attention to The Missing Pieces as a kind of prologue to/warm-up for the new series.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

YouTube has just removed one of the videos. CBS made a copyright claim on Chapter 10 (episodes 15 &16) which is bizarrely arbitrary given that none of the other chapters received any trouble. I am considering a counter-notification, which involves legal complications (though I don't expect them to kick in). If anyone has advice on the matter please let me know.

It's extremely frustrating given that there are videos out there with zero critical/educational purpose which are just straight rips from film and have thousands of views. This video had 95 and its entire purpose was analytical with zero financial remuneration. And it falls well within fair use perameters. Oh well, I'm annoyed but not especially surprised; I've heard of video essayists having particularly trouble with YouTube before. They are very trigger-happy when it comes to removing content.

The entire series remains intact on Vimeo and all the other chapters are still available on YouTube where I plan to continue uploading subsequent chapters, although the next batch may well trigger the deletion of my account if I'm unlucky.

Anyway, just fair warning. Best to bookmark or share the blog pages, which will be contiuously updated, rather than the video pages themselves. Thanks to all have enjoyed viewing, and hope you enjoy the upcoming chapters wherever you have to watch them.
Frketson

Post by Frketson »

LostInTheMovies wrote:YouTube has just removed one of the videos. CBS made a copyright claim on Chapter 10 (episodes 15 &16) which is bizarrely arbitrary given that none of the other chapters received any trouble. I am considering a counter-notification, which involves legal complications (though I don't expect them to kick in). If anyone has advice on the matter please let me know.
Thats bs. I'm not sure how worthwhile it is to 'fight back' though. Generally only the bigger/famous/popular youtubers are the only people that can challenge these things and come out on top.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Sorry to hear about that. I don't have much advice... if you are planning to do a segment on "The Missing Pieces" you might want to just stick with Vimeo... I suspect CBS is prowling pretty hard for those clips since it's on a recently released box set they are still hoping to sell.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

FauxOwl wrote:Sorry to hear about that. I don't have much advice... if you are planning to do a segment on "The Missing Pieces" you might want to just stick with Vimeo... I suspect CBS is prowling pretty hard for those clips since it's on a recently released box set they are still hoping to sell.
Interesting...I actually included some clips from that in the Killer's Reveal chapter and that didn't even get a matched content notice. But the one with Leland's death got taken down. Go figure!

Btw, I ended up filing a counter-notification through YT; according to another video essayist that was a pretty safe option to get CBS to just drop the matter.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Request for files

I have a request for anyone who is interested. I own the blu-ray, and have been able to rip footage from it in the past but am not immediately able to at present, as I attempt to finish Pt. 3 of this video series.

All I need are a handful of still shots from the special features: the picture of Sheryl Lee, made up as a corpse, sitting up and smiling on the table of the morgue, and maybe 3-4 images of the trading cards (I don't care which ones - whatever you want to send!).

If you have the capability of pulling these images - or have hi-res images available - please contact me via a PM and I will send you my email address to send the files. And of course you will be thanked in the credits!
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
FauxOwl wrote:Sorry to hear about that. I don't have much advice... if you are planning to do a segment on "The Missing Pieces" you might want to just stick with Vimeo... I suspect CBS is prowling pretty hard for those clips since it's on a recently released box set they are still hoping to sell.
Interesting...I actually included some clips from that in the Killer's Reveal chapter and that didn't even get a matched content notice. But the one with Leland's death got taken down. Go figure!

Btw, I ended up filing a counter-notification through YT; according to another video essayist that was a pretty safe option to get CBS to just drop the matter.
Well it was a guess on my part, and perhaps not a very educated one. There does seem to be something rather arbitrary at play on CBS' part here so who knows... good luck with the counter-notification.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

FauxOwl wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:

Well it was a guess on my part, and perhaps not a very educated one. There does seem to be something rather arbitrary at play on CBS' part here so who knows... good luck with the counter-notification.
No, I've definitely noticed that too (particularly with the Q2 thing) so I was a bit surprised when they took down the other chapter instead. It's all so arbitrary the way that stuff works.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

1st video of Part 3 - The Ensemble

Ok, because Part 3 is taking a bit longer than expected, I'm sharing chapters individually as they go up. Which might be a better approach anyway, since this part is going to be so long.

First up is "Chapter 12: Beyond the Investigation (the ensemble)." It pauses from the chronological approach (as several chapters will in Pt. 3) to examine what everyone else has been up to in town, now that the investigation is winding down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZaw-XHtdac

Enjoy! I will wait until Part 3 is complete to start a new thread.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: 1st video of Part 3 - The Ensemble

Post by bosguy1981 »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Ok, because Part 3 is taking a bit longer than expected, I'm sharing chapters individually as they go up. Which might be a better approach anyway, since this part is going to be so long.

First up is "Chapter 12: Beyond the Investigation (the ensemble)." It pauses from the chronological approach (as several chapters will in Pt. 3) to examine what everyone else has been up to in town, now that the investigation is winding down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZaw-XHtdac

Enjoy! I will wait until Part 3 is complete to start a new thread.
I just watched Chapter 12. Great work on this one. And I really loved the closing montage set to "I Remember." Very, very effective.