wizard of oz homage in twin peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

waldo

wizard of oz homage in twin peaks

Post by waldo »

love the similarities between these two scenes, right when ben wakes up from his mad dream:

and you were there, and you, and you...
@3m10s

btw, major Briggs first name is Garland. Judy, Judy Garland! ODD NAME

oh, and just found this on youtube:
Last edited by waldo on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Achievement is its own reward, pride obscures it.
Annie
Global Moderator

Re: wizard of oz homage in twin peaks

Post by Annie »

You know David is a huge Wizard of Oz fan, as am I. Remember Sheryl Lee as the Good Witch in Wild at Heart?
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
waldo

Post by waldo »

Annie wrote:You know David is a huge Wizard of Oz fan, as am I. Remember Sheryl Lee as the Good Witch in Wild at Heart?
yes, but this twin peaks bit is so subtle i almost didn't noticed it.

well, maybe not that subtle...
Achievement is its own reward, pride obscures it.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

haha -I'm glad you added the last comment.

It's about as blatant as can be. I'm pretty sure it is intentional to be the final cap to the high jinx portion of the civil war antics and then the Peaks music comes on and returns to a more truthful tone.

Maybe this was Diane Keaton adding the final bit knowing David loves Oz. Can't remember if it's in the script. But it's fun.

*I hadn't watched this scene in years, and it still makes me cringe. But all those actors are so much fun.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Funny enough, Piper Laurie played Auntie Em in Return to Oz!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Was looking for a better quality clip of the promo than the one that's currently on Youtube (which also cuts off the beginning when Kyle calls Piper "Auntie Em") and found this thread. I see the Youtube clip of it above is gone too.
Brad D wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:30 pm Funny enough, Piper Laurie played Auntie Em in Return to Oz!
Interesting. I didn't know that. Do you think it was a deliberate reference in that case then?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:52 am Was looking for a better quality clip of the promo than the one that's currently on Youtube (which also cuts off the beginning when Kyle calls Piper "Auntie Em") and found this thread. I see the Youtube clip of it above is gone too.
Brad D wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:30 pm Funny enough, Piper Laurie played Auntie Em in Return to Oz!
Interesting. I didn't know that. Do you think it was a deliberate reference in that case then?
I’m gonna guess those two events are not related. Piper was much more well known for plenty of other roles
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I would imagine Piper was on DL's radar because of Carrie, since Fisk had worked on it, and I think Sissy helped DL out with donations and such on Eraserhead, so he must have watched it at the time.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Don’t forget Dorothy in Blue Velvet.

And here’s one to blow your mind… Audrey removes black and white shoes and puts on ruby red ones!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Wizard of Oz and Twin Peaks are both inside of dreams.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

In The Missing Pieces Cooper is in the lodge and asks, “Where am I, and how can I leave?” The MFAP replies, “You are here, now there is no place to go, but home!”

It’s very Wizard of Oz.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

TwinsPeak wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:50 am Wizard of Oz and Twin Peaks are both inside of dreams.
That's brilliant!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Follow the garmonbozia brick road to the emerald ring, (or perhaps to the green land of Douglas Firs, or something).

Both Twin Peaks and Wizard of Oz have a woodsman or woodsmen.

In episode 29 (I almost wrote part), the Man From Another Place emerges from behind the curtain.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Definitely must give some credit to this one:
Audrey Horne wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:33 pmAnd here’s one to blow your mind… Audrey removes black and white shoes and puts on ruby red ones!
Now, I’m not sure what was in some of the videos above, because some links are dead, so I don’t know if any of this came up already, but I'm guessing that some of it probably did.

That being said, I almost forgot the FWWM has a monkey in blue lighting (or with a blue filter) that says “Judy,” and of course The Wizard of Oz (starring Judy Garland) features blue monkeys, and they pursue Judy/Dorothy.

As mentioned by Annie, in Wild At Heart, Sheryl Lee appears in a sphere in a direct reference to Glinda the Good Witch from the Wizard of Oz, then in The Return, a smiling Laura (or her soul/essence) floats down to earth in a golden orb.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Briggs also explicitly mentions Judy Garland after returning from the Lodges.