Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Histeria wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:02 pm But then she also said he's still trying to get her to shave her head for that role. So I'm not sure that quote is as oppositional to the earlier one as you think it is.
' he may have mentioned the fact that I won't shave my head in our recent conversation.'
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I swear this whole thing is an experiment in how many times and in how many ways they can tell us something and we still won't believe them.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:51 am I swear this whole thing is an experiment in how many times and in how many ways they can tell us something and we still won't believe them.
And/or an experiment in how much they can get us to read meaning into innocuous statements/words. Time will tell. ;)

Lynch’s dad worked for the Department of Agriculture studying trees, and he’s spoken about what a big formative impact that had on him. David has been in love with trees for his entire life. I don’t think the single word “tree” has any deeper meaning.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Oh yes. Definitely one or both.

As for your second point, context is important. The medium is the (presumed) message. My response to that is people just don't act the way your theory on (non)significance would assume they do.

If anyone can find a single example of people acting this way for any other production (real or perceived) I'll be very grateful.

But it's just not something people do. Especially not serially. Because context is important. It is a very safe bet all these "innocuous" messages are made in the knowledge they'd be interpreted (wrongly or rightly). We know this because Sabrina follows everything and even likes posts speculating or joking about speculation. And if we assume non-ignorance I would bet a lot (alas if I was a gambler) that they wouldn't act that way because suddenly starting to post a handful of "innocuous" messages at this point in time is by default not innocuous.

Tl;dr: people just don't act that way and we will find out sooner or later.

I would contend, with a lot of conviction, that the "innocuous" explanation is a lot less plausible. It has the veneer of credibility because it is offering a denial of something uncertain and ephemeral. But weigh these hypotheses against each holistically, in context, and I just don't see how they're innocuous. Either they support speculation or the messages are being encoded in spite of speculation.

This isn't aimed at you specifically BTW. Just against the more general assumption that these pieces of evidence (weak in isolation), taken collectively, can be waved away as coincidental or non-causal.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

You do you, Histeria and I'm not saying this to rain on your parade or say that you're wrong but more just explain why I'm still not inferring much of anything from Sabrina's IG posts:

So much of it is up to interpretation. We can say that all the Twin Peaks S3 BTS pics with captions and the purple heart emojis are strong hints that Wisteria is TP but she's also posted pics of Lynch at home building something or working on a painting with the purple heart emoji, the pics of Lynch at the Eraserhead stables at AFI were tagged with the purple heart emoji, she even tagged a picture of Santa Monica beach with the caption "Happy Saturday!" with the purple heart. Even if you don't think the purple heart has any significance as to being connected to Wisteria she's also posted pictures of satellites captioned "Calling all UFOs" and a pic of deer/antelope running on the Pacific Palisades (taken together that gives me strong Antelope Don't Run No More vibes), she also posted a pic of a Ronnie Rocket t-shirt a while back. All taken together it's just kind of a jumble as to the significance. If you cherry pick only the TP related ones then sure, you could say she's strongly hinting it's more TP but her feed is a lot more than just TP BTS pics but for some reason that's what folks keep picking up on.

Again, not trying to argue or change your opinion but until we get a concrete announcement or an irrefutable piece of evidence (i.e. Lynch on set tomorrow captioned "On set of #UnrecordedNight #TwinPeaks", etc.) I still am not sure if it gives me any better picture of what this upcoming thing is. I do think something is happening slowly but surely but I definitely wouldn't assume it's one thing or another based on Sabrina's teases, personally.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I mean it's unfalsifiable either way. Can't be proven or disproven that there was a causal link even after they announce the show and even after all these alleged links are proven to be correlational. But there's a difference between something being unprovable and something being beyond reasonable doubt. Even the criminal justice system sets the standard as "reasonable doubt" not "no doubt."

You'd just have to think of a plausible external reason for the timing just happening to match the theory of this leading upto an official annoucement.

Even then I guess it's still possible that was all a coincidence and suddenly becoming a very active on SM was nothing to do with suddenly becoming very active in pre-production. But unfalsifiable either way. There are only so many days in a lifetime and sometimes, arguably, things just happened to match up.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:34 am
As for your second point, context is important. The medium is the (presumed) message. My response to that is people just don't act the way your theory on (non)significance would assume they do.

If anyone can find a single example of people acting this way for any other production (real or perceived) I'll be very grateful.
But I don’t think Lynch is acting any way “for” a production. He does these weather reports for his own fun and for his fans. I don’t view it as a promotional thing for the Netflix show at all. He did these back in the early 2000s, and revived it as a gift for us all during the pandemic. He just likes doing weather reports, and at a certain point started adding the bonus of “today I was thinking about,” song recommendations, etc. Everything he does doesn’t have to be a promo for Unrecorded Night or whatever. I think there’s an element of confirmation bias in viewing it that way. That’s really not the way Lynch has ever operated historically.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Yeah, I definitely think something is happening and I'll even buy that Sabrina is purposely teasing something is in the works. I guess I mean more for me it's harder to parse what the content/form of the final product is based on the teases so far. I know a lot of folks are assuming it's a straight up S4 with all the TP references and while I think there's a strong chance there's a TP thread or references to the TP universe I'm still not entirely sure we can infer it's All Twin Peaks All the Time. The fact that the scripts were copyrighted as 13 distinct episodes and not one massive 380+ page script like The Return was, that Mark Frost is seemingly not involved all give me pause that it's just a straight up 4th season. All the weird allusions to UFOs, deer, Eraserhead, paintings in Sabrina's IG...hell, maybe it's an anthology thing of 13 separate movies and one is hand painted/animated and one is Antelope and one is Eraserhead related, etc. Who the hell knows? I guess that's my main takeaway. I think there's still lots of surprises in store and even if a large portion of TP actors are coming back and it's ostensibly more TP it might look/take the form of something a lot different when it's all said and done.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:36 am
Histeria wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:34 am

But I don’t think Lynch is acting any way “for” a production. He does these weather reports for his own fun and for his fans. I don’t view it as a promotional thing for the Netflix show at all. He did these back in the early 2000s, and revived it as a gift for us all during the pandemic. He just likes doing weather reports, and at a certain point started adding the bonus of “today I was thinking about,” song recommendations, etc. Everything he does doesn’t have to be a promo for Unrecorded Night or whatever. I think there’s an element of confirmation bias in viewing it that way. That’s really not the way Lynch has ever operated historically.
I didn't mean the reports themselves are entirely in service of that function. Sorry if I gave that impression.

And I don't think it's a "Season Four" (whatever that means). I think it's a series that directly shares at least some (more likely all) of its continuity with the Twin Peaks universe or features Twin Peaks characters and motifs.

The S4/spin-off/prequel distinction is one I don't make or care for anyway. But still.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I just think Lynch mentioning trees (or coffee, for instance) is un-noteworthy because these are things he talks about all the time and which made their way into TP precisely because he’s passionate about them. Now if he specifically mentioned Douglas firs or sycamores, that would catch my ear a bit more.

The Sabrina posts absolutely feel intentional, but like Ickles, I’m not really sure what to make of them. It’s a bit of a hodge podge.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:50 am I just think Lynch mentioning trees (or coffee, for instance) is un-noteworthy because these are things he talks about all the time and which made their way into TP precisely because he’s passionate about them. Now if he specifically mentioned Douglas firs or sycamores, that would catch my ear a bit more.

The Sabrina posts absolutely feel intentional, but like Ickles, I’m not really sure what to make of them. It’s a bit of a hodge podge.
90% sure the accompanying photo was a pollarded sycamore. And if that doesn't - ehem - hammer it home, the story that they put out within an hour or so of the tree reference was a tall tree accompanied by Laura's theme as background music. And then after that one there was another with a felled tree and the crew looking over it on set; with the caption "TREE".

So the specificity you desired at the end of your reply has in fact been established already.

Again, if this word was the only one then it wouldn't mean anything. But there's context to these occasional whether report intermissions.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Oh, IDK about all that. I don’t really use social media, I just watch the daily videos on his YouTube channel, so I don’t see the stories etc. I thought you were just referring to the word in isolation. My mistake.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

the 13 individual scripts for Unrecorded may be a lesson learned from Return budgeting. It was really painful for all parties concerned to have that fight in public over how many episodes/ how much it would cost to break a single script up, and maybe this is the best way forward to approach it, to have a clearer idea how many installments and how much money required.

Or it could be self contained anthological. Hotel Room style. Who knows. He does use the term continuing story a lot, which infers an overall narrative, so I would think his heart is less invested in a Hotel Room project and more of a 13 part feature. Though even in Hotel Room, the bell hop guy was the same in the different eras, and had HBO allowed it to continue, maybe the episodes would have been revealed to have been connected.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I think it's more the latter but some of the former. Loosely serialized anthology of self-contained films. Hopefully that's not a oxymoron.