Update on the Black Lodge - a Web Homage to David Lynch

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Update on the Black Lodge - a Web Homage to David Lynch

Post by Simbabbad »

Hello,

I'm Emmanuel Papillon, the web designer of "The Black Lodge - a Web Homage to David Lynch".

That site is an attempt to link together all the Lynch movies that share the same logic (Eraserhead, Twin Peaks, Lost Highway...) into a virtual world. The site has lots of randomized content and branchings, so that the visitor has the illusion he's into a living, evolving world.

The central part is the Black Lodge/Red Room, every other part go to it. Alas, it's currently the less well done part of the site, because I only have had VHS captures to work with.

I finally have access to the last episode DVD, and since my latest update happened a few years ago, I also have better tools to work with, and people have better screens and connections, so I'm currently adding/updating elements from the non Red Room parts as well.

The recent changes include (I'm not mentionning the very little improvements) :

- Sound in the X scene in Eraserhead (climb the stairs here to go to the X).

- More things to see and do in Henry's room. You can now take a look at the picture above Henry's bed, and if you play too much with the lamp on the left with the switch, the bulb can blow up (it doesn't work if the baby is sick and under his boiling thing, get out of the room and back again to reset that random element).

- New ambiant sound in the Blue Velvet part. There's also more to see and do in Dorothy Vallens's Apartment : more random elements, and mostly, there can be up to two "people" in the room (if you don't see anybody, same as above, refresh or go back one page to get back in the hall then back in again to randomize the thing). Also, a surprise can await you in the closet (or not).

Those are the updates of the non Twin Peaks parts. I'm now working on those (most of the parts of the site, that's why I chose to post this thread into the Twin Peaks part of this forum), then after I'm done, I'll redo the Red Room scenes.

Also, a new Twin Peaks part has been added since the previous big update a few years ago : Ghostwood from the last episode, where you look for Cooper and the gate to the Black Lodge. You'll meet Sherif Truman there, and maybe Andy (with dialogue), with music from the last episode. I'm not entirely happy with it and this will be updated in the following weeks.

Finally, you can have a glimpse of the improvements to come in the Red Room :

Current Red Room hall.

Improved Red Room hall.

I hope you'll like the changes, or you'll like the site if you didn't know it before. I'll keep this thread updated with the new content.

Also, I have a request : does anybody know some episodes in the series when we see family pictures of Laura ? Or Laura and Donna ?

Thanks.
dugpa
Site Admin

Re: Update on the Black Lodge - a Web Homage to David Lynch

Post by dugpa »

Excellent work Simbabbad! I'll add a link on the main page later today.

-B
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Amazing site; love the artwork. Thanks for posting here, Simbbabad!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Your DL homage is one of my favourite things on the web, Emmanuel. It evokes the feel of some of Lynch's worlds remarkably well, and I like the way you've blended aspects of different films together. Congrats on the new updates, and keep up the good work!
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

GREAT site Emmanuel. So much fun getting lost in it. You have really nailed the feel of the "Lynch world" in your site, can't wait to see how you progress with it!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
este

Post by este »

J'ai toujours eu un faible pour ce site que je consulte régulièrement depuis quelques temps déjà, et que je trouve assez remarquable !

Bravo Emmanuel pour tout ce travail et ce bel hommage :)
Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Post by Simbabbad »

Thanks a lot for all the nice comments !

It means a lot to me, comments helped me at first to change a few things (when scenes were too long for example), and knowing people enjoy the site is of course a big motivation.

I recently added more music to the vinyl player at the Palmers :

Palmers house

The player is on the right of the page. It's not very visible right now, I should change that later.

The musics you can hear (it's random) are :

- The music when Leland dances with Laura's picture

All songs Leland sings :

- Mairzy Doats
- Get Happy (by Judy Garland)
- Getting to know you
- Surrey With The Fringe On Top

I'd like to add Palmer family/friend picture popups when you click on them.

(Et merci à este, je suis très content de t'apporter des nouvelles choses à voir dans le site) !
Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Post by Simbabbad »

New update : the Pink Room sequence is better explained and shorter, also, there is a new
group of popups (4) to see by clicking between the two stroboscopic areas on the
right.

http://lynch.batbad.com/tp_roadhouse/fw ... index.html

I hope for new updates soon.
Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Post by Simbabbad »

Hello,

here are the lastest updates of the Black Lodge :

http://lynch.batbad.com/

- The last episode scene (Ghostwood) now has cleaner music (straight from the
CD) and better navigation in the woods (the HTML is generated and not downloaded
anymore) :

http://lynch.batbad.com/tp_ghostwood/last_episode/

- Navigation in Ghostwood the night Laura dies has also been improved, and the
death scene of Laura Palmer is now much better :

http://lynch.batbad.com/tp_ghostwood/fw ... ght/train/

There is now only the Jeffries scene to update then I can work on the Red Room.

I hope for new updates soon.

E. Papillon
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

hey Emmanuel,

Just out of curiosity - have you considered adding some Inland Empire material to your website?

Again, keep up the great work!
Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Post by Simbabbad »

Well, I actually don't like Inland Empire :D !

You can read my review/opinion here :

http://lynch.batbad.com/core/geant/

Click on "movies".

This being said, when everything (and I mean everything) is done, maybe I'll consider it, because Inland Empire obviously belongs to the same logic as the other films that are in the site. But for now, I'll redo the Jeffries part that still doesn't quite work, and mostly try to make a behemoth out of the Red Room. I want something huge and impressive.

Some short Inland Empire parts, like I did with Mulholland Drive, could work quite well, though.