SPOILERS: Inconsistencies in the Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: Inconsistencies in the Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by kitty666cats »

Histeria wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:47 pmOn an unrelated note, it was mentioned in this thread that he didn't watch the original series in preparation for S3. Is there a source for this? From what I've read, he watched the whole thing while Lynch concentrated on the pilot, finale and FWWM.
Where'd you read this? This makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, for some reason :P I was kinda bothered by the notion most people seem to have that neither of them extensively reviewed the whole original series!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I cant recall but for starters it would have been nearly impossible to write the book in such detail from memory.

The amount of minute biographical info (accurate or not) is staggering and it's easy to forget this when recalling a handful of examples where the writing doesn't perfectly match what we saw or assumed from the original show.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I recall, quite the contrary, Frost stating that he (as in on his own, as opposed to him in tandem with Lynch, who reviewed very little of the old material as a team) had indeed reviewed everything, including every episode and even the previous tie-in books. And I don't doubt that whatsoever, since he brought something up in TSHOTP that was only ever mentioned in the super obscure Access Guide, but chose to present the opposite outcome of it, something as completely binary as a football game win. That doesn't read as messy error to me, that reads as someone intentionally changing a coin-flip event in accordance to a butterfly effect they knew takes place in the scripted season they had just finished. Especially given that this wasn't a minor footnote, but somewhat lengthy segments in each book.

For all the lamentation that there are inconsistencies and ret-cons, and portrayals of Frost as being ignorant at worst and treating the franchise precedent as disposable at best, I never in a million years would have dreamed that there would be a serious attempt to incorporate Cooper's autobio into FWWM canon, and he went out of his way to do that.

Unfortunately, I don't recall where I heard the rewatch claim, only that I'm positive it's either a facebook interview video he did with Welcome to Twin Peaks or the 2016 interview with PBS Twin Cities Almanac. Perhaps someone with more time than me could review it and put it to rest once and for all.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Indeed. There's stuff in the book that I kinda suspect he didn't really know (or hadn't known well enough to commit to memory) at the time the original series aired. Let alone just winging it from memory over two decades later.

I was re-reading some passages over the weekend and the notion they were written without going back to the original episodes they directly reference felt ludicrous.

I bet he'd struggle to get anywhere near that accuracy if asked about the book now, just five years later. Nevermind when writing that book on narratives he contributed to 25 years prior.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

"More recently he [Parsons] had escaped to the desert for seclusion in which to meditate and practice his magic. His favorite place was marked by the intersection of two massive power lines, their source and goal lost in both horizons. The sagging cables emitted an ominous, enveloping drone, as if they were the antennae of an almighty cicada buried deep beneath the ground." (Pendle 263).

[and then, at the end of his life] "Parsons' body was cremated and his widow, Candy, took the ashes into the Mojave Desert. At the intersection of the two massive, whirring power lines, she scattered his ashes and watched as a light desert wind swept them into the air like smoke." (300)

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... biography/
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Thanks for sharing, great find!
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.