The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by dugpa »

I'm guessing any mistakes in the book are just that, mistakes. It happens. Yes, it sucks but he's only human. Perhaps he meant to do them but very unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

dugpa wrote:I'm guessing any mistakes in the book are just that, mistakes. It happens. Yes, it sucks but he's only human. Perhaps he meant to do them but very unlikely.

This has been my feeling too. But how could he forget that they actually had Norma's mom on the show?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Ross wrote:
dugpa wrote:I'm guessing any mistakes in the book are just that, mistakes. It happens. Yes, it sucks but he's only human. Perhaps he meant to do them but very unlikely.

This has been my feeling too. But how could he forget that they actually had Norma's mom on the show?

Indeed. Frost has a writing credit on S02E09 in which Vivian appeared. Hard to believe he forgot, and if he seriously did, it is then hard to believe he didn't go back and reference his own material.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I heard a nasty rumor that Dr. Jacoby had a different first name... any truth to that?
speedbeatz
Roadhouse Member

Post by speedbeatz »

I too feel that the extreme nature of the inconsistencies - changing the name of a character who appeared in multiple episodes of the series and stating she died five years before the series took place, as well as changing the entire Ed/Nadine backstory radically but remembering to keep consistent with how she lost her eye - seem more likely to be something that is intentional, and not in the sense of a simple retcon attempt. Another thing which reinforces this opinion is the fact that another not-so-beloved plot line from season 2 (the Lana debacle) is addressed in detail and with complete accuracy to the show, down to quoting of specific lines of dialogue.
The only real way to know is to either ask Mark Frost about it - one of the upcoming signing/Q&A events would seem a perfect opportunity - or to simply wait until season 3 airs and see if these details come up.
Brad D wrote:I heard a nasty rumor that Dr. Jacoby had a different first name... any truth to that?
Not true, sounds like someone's reading very sloppily.
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

LonelySoul wrote:What you're about to read is probably a very unpopular opinion.

These discrepancies are actually pretty infuriating to me. Like - just why? Why is it necessary to change Vivian's name? Why the hell couldn't Frost - who wrote an episode with her in it - just stick to what already happened in the series? WTF?!

Also, some of you have speculated that Mark and David are possibly "retconning" out some the less popular season two plots or otherwise reshaping them. Here is where I might get really unpopular. Depending on the episodes, the particular plot or the particular period of time during filming, Frost and Lynch just weren't around. I understand they had other stuff they were doing. But they have to understand that, even if this show was their brainchild/baby, if they can't be bothered to stick around or at least guide from afar (some writers, like Peyton, have said it was very difficult to get ahold of either of them and they just had to run with certain things), then fuck 'em. The show had to carry on. There were contracts and deadlines to adhere to. We might have ended up with some less-than-savory aspects of the show, but that's what we got. It happened. And it has been canon for 25 years.

A timeline shift/other universe seems like a complete cop out. And straight up retconning makes me angry at them. I know readers have only reported these three main discrepancies (which are already annoying enough), but it's possible the series may have more (or others in the alleged volume 2 of the book). If it's true they're trying to erase some stuff that already happened in the show, they can fuck right off. Should've paid more attention to your show.

I allow there could be a good reason for all this. And if that's true and there's something I don't know, great. I welcome it. Otherwise, I'm left feeling cheated.
I don't know about the rest, but I'm certainly hearin' you. In fact, from what I've heard/read, this book pretty much seems a disappointment to me. Practically no post-S 2 stuff ... I mean, c'mon! Maybe the early marketing (that whole "bridging the gap between then and now" angle that has since disappeared completely) did it damage, but I certainly feel no better taking this factor into account. I'm almost sorry I pre-ordered it.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

speedbeatz wrote:
Brad D wrote:I heard a nasty rumor that Dr. Jacoby had a different first name... any truth to that?
Not true, sounds like someone's reading very sloppily.
Phew! That would be terrible. Changing Vivian's name is distracting but changing Jacoby's would be infuriating.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Nope still Lawrence, however: there is a Robert Jacoby who is his brother
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

FrightNight wrote: (that whole "bridging the gap between then and now" angle that has since disappeared completely)
You can't really say it isn't bridging a gap if you don't know what season 3 is about. I think a whole lot of stuff in the book which is seemingly unconnected to the originals will tie in to S3.
Last edited by Soolsma on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Margaret wrote:

Wrong, trust me. I thought the people who ran this forum would at least have a clue! :lol:
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Ok, Frost just lost my support. Unless there's a good reason for the changes.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

You mean Larry Jacoby? Image
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Ok, Frost just lost my support. Unless there's a good reason for the changes.
Man, if you guys are freaking out over this then this forum is going to be unreadable when the actual show starts to air.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

ForKeeps wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Ok, Frost just lost my support. Unless there's a good reason for the changes.
Man, if you guys are freaking out over this then this forum is going to be unreadable when the actual show starts to air.
Seriously. I admittedly have high expectations for all new Twin Peaks works we are getting over the next couple years, but I've had to constantly remind myself that the more fervent and rigid those expectations are, the more they will only set myself up for more disappointment if I don't remain malleable and open-minded to what Lynch and Frost are doing. To spend this much time waiting for new Twin Peaks only to write off someone's work because of some minor inconsistencies seems like it'd just drain the joy out of all of this.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

BEARisonFord wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:
Seriously. I admittedly have high expectations for all new Twin Peaks works we are getting over the next couple years, but I've had to constantly remind myself that the more fervent and rigid those expectations are, the more they will only set myself up for more disappointment if I don't remain malleable and open-minded to what Lynch and Frost are doing. To spend this much time waiting for new Twin Peaks only to write off someone's work because of some minor inconsistencies seems like it'd just drain the joy out of all of this.
Expectations like getting the names and backstories of characters correct that they wrote in the TV show they created. It's really not a lot to ask.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.