The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

beano
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by beano »

speedbeatz wrote:So I'm a little over halfway through the book, and another inconsistency with the series has come up which is so extreme that I really can't imagine it was a simple oversight. I'll further obscure it as best I can, seeing as how the book isn't officially out yet:

In a section (purported to have been written by Coop during his "time off" post-Leland's death), Norma's mother is mentioned to be named "Ilsa" and to have died in 1984.

Something very fishy is going on here.
didnt vivian first appear in the episode where leland died?.. i am still firmly planted in the "its all intentional" camp. no way frost has forgotten entire characters..

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

beano wrote:
speedbeatz wrote:So I'm a little over halfway through the book, and another inconsistency with the series has come up which is so extreme that I really can't imagine it was a simple oversight. I'll further obscure it as best I can, seeing as how the book isn't officially out yet:

In a section (purported to have been written by Coop during his "time off" post-Leland's death), Norma's mother is mentioned to be named "Ilsa" and to have died in 1984.

didnt vivian first appear in the episode where leland died?.. i am still firmly planted in the "its all intentional" camp. no way frost has forgotten entire characters..

Agree with you.Either that or they are changing the story because the new season requires it
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by Panapaok »

All this is so perplexing.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

So, to the good folks who are readin' this damned thing - where're all the juicy bits, yo??? After all, this is (well, supposed to be, in any case) the SPOILER thread, ya' know ...
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

beano wrote:

Since I am her namesake, I'll answer- she appeared one episode before Leland died.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

mtwentz wrote:
beano wrote:

Since I am her namesake, I'll answer- she appeared one episode before Leland died.
I'm at a complete loss with this latest thing. A switched tattoo is one thing, but a complete character? I guess we'll just have to wait and see if there's any possible explanation.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
beano wrote: didnt vivian first appear in the episode where leland died?.. i am still firmly planted in the "its all intentional" camp. no way frost has forgotten entire characters..

I'm at a complete loss with this latest thing. A switched tattoo is one thing, but a complete character? I guess we'll just have to wait and see if there's any possible explanation.
My best guess- Frost just wanted to re-write the history of some of the more minor characters to make them more interesting. Maybe he felt he had to do it to make a more compelling book that would stand on its own.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

mtwentz wrote:My best guess- Frost just wanted to re-write the history of some of the more minor characters to make them more interesting. Maybe he felt he had to do it to make a more compelling book that would stand on its own.
I'll be really disappointed it he changed something like that just because he felt like it was a better story.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Ross wrote:

uuummmm... WHAT!?!?
Any chance she was her step mother?! Am I grasping at straws?! :D
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:
mtwentz wrote:My best guess- Frost just wanted to re-write the history of some of the more minor characters to make them more interesting. Maybe he felt he had to do it to make a more compelling book that would stand on its own.
I'll be really disappointed it he changed something like that just because he felt like it was a better story.
In Frost's defense, I don't think it is that important that the book align exactly with the show.

I'ts more of a big deal if Season 3 does not line up with Seasons One and Two.

Some of these details that are different in the book may not show up anywhere in Season 3.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Maybe Ilsa is like her middle name or first name and Vivian is the other?

Jesus, if this amounts to a whole book of discrepancies I am going to be so mad at Frost.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was supposed to be 'another' Twin Peaks that was accessible somehow and would feature in the originally planned third season. Maybe that's what all the talk about everyone being still alive was about at the end of season two. That way, Laura and Leland could still be around.

Heck, maybe the new show is set, Fringe-style, in an alt-universe Twin Peaks, allowing for recast actors and the sorts of inconsistencies that beset everything from The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer to My Life, My Tapes to FWWM.

In fact, with one FBI agent definitely being a time traveller, alternate timelines in the show are inevitable. We know Jefferies jumped back to FWWM from the future. Maybe he went right back into the past as well... Maybe others did too.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Ross wrote:
Well, even if he did want to change a story, that wouldn't necessarily require him to change names... right?

I can't wait to until a decent list of discrepancies is assembled, and maybe start making sense of this.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Sid

Post by Sid »

Wasn't Ilsa the name of Norma's grandmother, the RR Diner founder's wife?

Maybe Coop was a bit inaccurate with his records, yeah I know...Coop of all people :lol:

I don't know... maybe all these inconsistencies do in fact indicate an alternate timeline
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Sid wrote:Wasn't Ilsa the name of Norma's grandmother, the RR Diner founder's wife?

Maybe Coop was a bit inaccurate with his records, yeah I know...Coop of all people :lol:

I don't know... maybe all these inconsistencies do in fact indicate an alternate timeline
vicksvapor77 wrote:I took a peek at the "leaked" photo of the Double R Diner menu. It says it opened in 1938 to founder and owner Marty Lindstrom and mentions who I presume is his wife, Ilsa Lindstrom.

Are we assuming these are Norma's grandparents?

Norma's postcard to "Mom and Dad" aka Mr. and Mrs. Lindstrom is written in 1969.

Wasn't her mother's name Vivian Smythe? That would be a massive continuity error if Ilsa is actually Norma's mother. But Norma's maiden name also seems to be a continuity error as "Lindstrom," no?

And didn't her mom say something to the effect of "This is just not a good restaurant" in season two?

Someone give me a reasonable theory on all of this!