Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Pinky wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:46 pm just rewatched 18. At the end of the Sheriff Station scene, it almost fully fades in to the Cooper head for a few seconds and we hear the wind sounds. It feels like a callback to the Red Room scene where the curtains drop out and we see infinite lodge space. Does it feel like the realization Dreamer Coop is having is taking place at a particular repeat of that moment? Can't remember how often the wind motif came in or where.
Hmm is it similar to the wind noise that opens every episode?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:53 pm
Pinky wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:46 pm just rewatched 18. At the end of the Sheriff Station scene, it almost fully fades in to the Cooper head for a few seconds and we hear the wind sounds. It feels like a callback to the Red Room scene where the curtains drop out and we see infinite lodge space. Does it feel like the realization Dreamer Coop is having is taking place at a particular repeat of that moment? Can't remember how often the wind motif came in or where.
Hmm is it similar to the wind noise that opens every episode?
Are we talking about the right episode? I don't recall the Sheriff's station in this part...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Oh yeah, Pinky definitely means Part 17. I didn’t even notice this in the wrong thread! The poor Part 17 thread is so much shorter than all the others because everyone just posted in this one that night!
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

ah sorry folks, they're very close together in my head and I was reading about three of the Parts threads at once
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Pinky, I certainly agree that it is the exact same framing as in ep.2 (as well as how Cooper is positioned when frozen on the VCR recording in the Jeffried scene in FWWM), and don't think it is a coincidence. The only thing I disagree with you about is that it happens in episode 17 :D
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Good pick-up/suggestion. Whether or not it is the same wind sound, I believe that scene has always pulled at a viewer's intuition and begged them to try to decipher where Cooper's big face is currently at, and if we've seen it before. And since the likely place is sitting in that chair in the lodge in Part 2, that matches up with your interpretation of the wind-sound whether it's exact or not. I can recall the exact sound you're talking about, but I'll have to check it out with comparison in mind.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

On approaching the desert location where Cooper will exit the car at 430 mile mark ("the threshold"), we see skid marks on the pavement. Those look to be the ones that Mr. C's car was making as he was losing control of it (judging by the surrounding ground features). If so, then that was the place where Cooper and Mr. C were supposed to swap places earlier.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

boske wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:46 am On approaching the desert location where Cooper will exit the car at 430 mile mark ("the threshold"), we see skid marks on the pavement. Those look to be the ones that Mr. C's car was making as he was losing control of it (judging by the surrounding ground features). If so, then that was the place where Cooper and Mr. C were supposed to swap places earlier.
Are we sure that's the same place? Apart from it being the desert, I remember the terrain looking pretty different. It would make sense, though.
I'll see you in the trees
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Rainwater wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:01 am
boske wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:46 am On approaching the desert location where Cooper will exit the car at 430 mile mark ("the threshold"), we see skid marks on the pavement. Those look to be the ones that Mr. C's car was making as he was losing control of it (judging by the surrounding ground features). If so, then that was the place where Cooper and Mr. C were supposed to swap places earlier.
Are we sure that's the same place? Apart from it being the desert, I remember the terrain looking pretty different. It would make sense, though.
FWIW, Axxon N. and I discussed this awhile ago in the Part 3 & 4 thread: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 18#p123818
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:36 am
Rainwater wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:01 am
FWIW, Axxon N. and I discussed this awhile ago in the Part 3 & 4 thread: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 18#p123818
I watched part 18 a week ago and noticed the skid marks, it looked like there was a definite emphasis placed on them, so it could have been intentional, although I did not compare the terrain frame by frame, it is just that the textures looked similar.

Now what made me watch the part was interesting. I had ordered TPS3 DVDs in March of 2020, and the parcel was declared lost in May or so (no air traffic due to Covid). I then got the DVDs in a roundabout way from elsewhere. I was very surprised last Saturday that a package arrived with DVDs in it, they were probably at the Dutchman's for almost a year and a half. I also had another lost order that came in too, having only some music CDs: Bowie's "Blackstar" and "No Plan", Johhny Jewel's "Themes For Television", and finally TPS3 Bang-Bang Bar CD.

It would be superstitious to say, but this could be a good sign for more Twin Peaks. :lol:
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

"You will see your parcel in 25 years" does sound like a common Amazon customer service reply.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I have not ordered from them since. It is funny though that I now have two S3 boxes, the first must be a Mr. C one. Just in case, I will keep the boxes separated so they do not annihilate each other. :lol:
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

That is interesting. Just to make sure I took the "what year is this?" still into Photoshop, to see if it could be the red-striped tie but with minimal lighting, but it is indeed a black tie, also used in other red room scenes in The Return. In both the pilot and episode 29 the tie is red (although a ridiculous variant of it in the pilot). Also it seems, like I've mentioned here before, that when Cooper gets stuck at 2:57 he is in the same framing as when frozen at the elevator in Fire Walk With Me + and he is also stuck in this framing in TPTR part 2 when the doppelganger starts to interfere. So a loop that has several doorways to jump through - but probably never out of.
windh
Roadhouse Member

Post by windh »

Just finished my fourth watch of The Return.

To me, the last episode is very much Mulholland Drive-like. Mainly, in that it seems like the ending, as the ending of MD, is "reality". The previous 17 hours (and the previous two seasons) was a dream. All in all, all of that is pretty dream like.

"Coop" is the dreamer, as are we all. Or "Laura"...

The reality of part 18 might be future or past, but to me it seems to be where many parts for the dream that is "Twin Peaks" are drawn.

Just like in MD where Diane gets the name "Betty" from the waitress of the diner, here "Coop" gets the name "Judy" from the name of the diner.

Themes repeated throughout the series are effectively introduced. I.e. when the group of gun wielding douchebags starts assaulting the waitress. Guns and violence. Women in trouble.

Of course, some things in this "reality" is quite weird... Why does "Coop" insist that Carrie is indeed Laura Palmer? And why does she seem to almost realize that she is? Some things from the dream seems to blend into the "real world" here.

Just a few thoughts after just finishing the series last night.
/windh