Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by KyleRickards »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:A couple of questions I didn't see brought up.

1) William Hastings says he doesn't have the coordinates as Ruth wrote them down. If that's the case, why would his secretary have them? Ray was trying to get them from his secretary correct? Or are these separate coordinates? One that Briggs is looking for and ones that helped him enter the 'dimension'?

2) Whoever grabbed William Hastings in the 'dimension', why would they ask for his wife's name? That part seemed unusual but I do remember Bad Cooper telling her she 'mimics' human behavior well.
Why are the co-ordinates on his own web site then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

I feel it's worth echoing a very good point raised by an earlier poster. Hastings refers to the netherworld using terminology shaped within his sphere of understanding - not the FBI, nor Lynch and Frost. It would be strange and unrealistic if he didn't, really. Look at the Zone site. By his own admission, he even likes "goofy" supernatural junk. These are accepted terms used by the layman spoken, crucially, by a layman. Preston (Bell was brilliant here, happy for her) used them only to enter an even dialogue with him.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

KyleRickards wrote:Why are the co-ordinates on his own web site then?
Those are probably the first set of coordinates that led them to where Briggs was hibernating. Assuming they aren't just a fun easter egg planted by Rhino Records marketing the soundtrack album. They could have zero to do with the coordinates talked about in the show. I have a feeling the marketing wonks just found a spot in the woods and slapped the coordinates on the site.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:Wasn't there a rumor in the pipeline that Cooper is supposed to awaken in episode 13? Take everything with a grain of salt I know, but with how things have been moving and the next episode title in mind I have a feeling it might happen then if not sooner.
Spoiler:
It very much depends on who says it, I suppose, and the context. It's a stand-out title to the Twin Peaks viewer, of course, but I wonder if Laura is "the One" or just "the one".

Have we had any titles beyond 12: "Let's rock" announced yet?
Last edited by DeepBlueSeed on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Hmm wonder what's going on here at Hutch's hideaway?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 12.53.47 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 12.53.47 AM.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 9221 times
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
krzhuva

Post by krzhuva »

sylvia_north wrote:Hmm wonder what's going on here at Hutch's hideaway?
They're sleeping.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

sycamore wrote:Positive and negative critiques of performances, myopic examination of endless clues and fascinating speculation (yes, my finger is pointing at myself!), ideas that make some sense and theories that seem outlandish. I've read every single post since Part 1 ... and I've got to admit, I'm consumed by Twin Peaks. For the most part, as a group, I think we're mostly moving toward getting 'it' ... yet, I think we might be looking too closely. I think that something's brewing even bigger than we ever imagined. Part 8 was the 'Pure Heroin Lynch' we read about ... and just maybe it's yet to come.

From our 'normal' world of three dimensions, let's step way back and look at the big picture:

Length. Width. Height. Time. Frequency.

Yeah, I mean: let's step way, waaaay back.

"Is it future, it is it past?" - Phillip Gerard

"I am dead, yet I live." - Laura Palmer

If you could sum it up in a few sentences, what is it that David Lynch and Mark Frost are trying to get across to us through narrative story? What's the greater purpose here? I'll offer my attempt at the end of this post.
This is great stuff!

I've always loved the sense of duality in Twin Peaks, but it makes me wonder if they are hinting a third side throughout this. Or at least a middle path. The spinning coin that doesn't land. "Heads I win, tails you lose..." might not be the only outcomes.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

idk she doesn't look asleep splayed faceplanted like that. C tells Hutch to vacate. Maybe they're the owners, drugged or dead.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

yaxomoxay wrote:
DamnFineCreamedCorn wrote:Have I got this right, because I hope not: Bill and Ruth got the coordinates to enter the zone from a government computer? And these are the same coordinates Mr C has been seeking?

Given Mr C's demonstrated technomancy, especially hacking secure facilities, why would he need to get them from Bill's secretary? And why would she have them? And why would she only trust Ray with them? And why is she dead now?

The more I think about Part 9, the less happy I am with it. Hurry on, Part 10.
That computer could have been off the grid, therefore inaccessible to Mr. C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm also suspecting Mr C is not the only person using technomancy. I suspect he now knows that, which is why he is frequently getting rid of his phones.
Wally Brando
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wally Brando »

sylvia_north wrote:idk she doesn't look asleep splayed faceplanted like that. C tells Hutch to vacate. Maybe they're the owners, drugged or dead.
Mr X asks Hutch where they are, Hutch tells him they're out back, 'sleeping'. I took that to mean that Hutch killed them when he arrived so that they could use that location, something confirmed by seeing their bodies in that shot.

Mr C then tells Hutch to remove any traces that they are ever there before leaving, so it's safe to assume that they regularly use remote locations as temporary bases, killing the occupants to prevent any witnesses etc.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I'm not entirely caught up on everything that people have been saying about the last part, and I definitely haven't read anything on any other sites but this one (aside from a quick perusing of the Zone site), so I'm interested in what people are saying about Briggs' head floating off, and how that relates to the floating-away head of the first woodsman we see, in the cell near Hastings. Any thoughts?
Wally Brando wrote:Mr X asks Hutch where they are, Hutch tells him they're out back, 'sleeping'. I took that to mean that Hutch killed them when he arrived so that they could use that location, something confirmed by seeing their bodies in that shot.

Mr C then tells Hutch to remove any traces that they are ever there before leaving, so it's safe to assume that they regularly use remote locations as temporary bases, killing the occupants to prevent any witnesses etc.
Exactly.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

HagbardCeline wrote:Someone a few pages ago was wondering about what's on page 253 of SHOTP. It is the beginning of a transcript of an interview between Dougie Milford and Jack Parsons. It seems to be the last interview before Parsons dies. (It's the one where he talks about Betty running off with L Ron Hubbard).
Yeah, that was me. Thanks for that. I've actually been able to read up on my own copy now, so have a few more ideas.

It's the piece that mentions Babalon, Mother of Abominations, and summoning the "messengers of the gods". I did wonder, briefly, whether the secretary Betty was this Betty - but given that she's a historical figure, and died in 1997(!) I quickly ruled that one out.

The repetition of the number 253, 253 yards east from Jack rabbit's Palace, at 2:53, makes me wonder if it's a nod to a place of summoning (and, given the weird 'Mother' head playing card symbol, I wonder if that's another nod). The last time we saw the numbers 2:53 was when Good Coop swapped over with Dougie (sort of - Dougie didn't end up where Coop was, even if Coop ended up where Dougie was), which was also the scene where 'Mother' had been banging on the door to be let in. In either case, 253 seems to tie in with when something passes from one world to another.

The piece also has Jack Parsons mention "Out in the desert. The desert's a perfect medium for summoning..." and "Such a fertile ground for the Working... The ritual. The Working of Babylon. Calling forth the Elemental." I wonder if the place Bad Coop seeks is a 'twin' of the one Major Briggs is sending the police to, for better or worse (I'm not sure if it means they'd encounter a similar thing, or the opposite).

Of course, this is all just speculation that the numbers translate into page number easter eggs.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Garland "hibernating" is reminiscent of King Arthur spending time on the mythical Avalon to recover from his wounds while the world assumes him dead (a myth first proliferated by Geoffrey of Monmouth). In the 12th century, monks asserted that the actual location of Avalon was.....Glastonbury Abbey. (I love Arthurian myth, but dislike its heavy-handed use in TP....however, given the new show's return to using Arthurian naming with Lancelot Court and Merlin's Market, this parallel feels pretty intentional to me.)
I'm also interested to see if there's any tie-in between the Holy Grail and the 'graal' of Babalon - or perhaps these are opposed forces. Of course a grail could just be a common mythological icon, a commonly repeated motif (like a cup of coffee).
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

sylvia_north wrote:idk she doesn't look asleep splayed faceplanted like that. C tells Hutch to vacate. Maybe they're the owners, drugged or dead.
They're almost certainly the dead owners of the farm. I don't think anyone actually believes they're 'asleep'. :-)
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Wally Brando wrote:
Mr X asks Hutch where they are, Hutch tells him they're out back, 'sleeping'. I took that to mean that Hutch killed them when he arrived so that they could use that location, something confirmed by seeing their bodies in that shot.

Chantal is no stranger to clearing things up, like Darya's body. I suspect these guys are very competent at what they do.

Mr C actually seems to appreciate these guys. When Hutch says he can get what Mr C needs we doesn't pull him up on the fact that he doesn't NEED anything.

Then again, that line was originally BOB's, appearing in the Secret Diary. Maybe that's a subtle hint that BOB's not there any more.