Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

How does the comma change the sentence?
It seems to me that "Around the table the conversation is lively" can be read in a different way than "Around the table, the conversation is lively."
In the former case, it's a full statement explaining that around the table the conversation is going in a certain way (lively). In the latter case, it's like a call or a suggestion. "[Look/check/hear]Around the table, [as] the conversation is lively", that is it's suggesting where to go (around the table), and why (something is interesting).

https://m.imgur.com/hDukRCE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

eyeboogers wrote:Could the "Penguin" referenced by Sky Ferreira be Annie Blackburn and her past (possibly present) as a nun?
Nice Blues Brothers reference also!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:Could the "Penguin" referenced by Sky Ferreira be Annie Blackburn and her past (possibly present) as a nun?
Not that I think there's anything to this, but if one is searching for connections between Annie and penguins, there is a certain joke.... :D
psyifinotic
Roadhouse Member

Post by psyifinotic »

i love this forum and all of you guys. talking and sharing opinions about this show is great bc i dont know a lot of people who watch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

I assumed the zebra and penguin talk has something to do with law enforcement.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Probably nothing but did anyone else notice, during the Chad lunch scene, Bobby scratching himself? Rash?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

AgentEcho wrote:
HagbardCeline wrote:Some people up-thread seemed to think that Ike The Spike didn't have the wrapping on his hand before he walks out into the hallway, but they carefully shoot the scene so you don't see his wounded hand. He's drinking his whiskey left handed and his right hand is out of the frame for the whole scene. I also think he was making the worried squeaking sound right before the scene ends.
Then he gets up and walks to the suitcase, and you can see the other hand in the mirror. He doesn't have the cast on. Could be a continuity error, but the camera actually moves so you can see the reflection so it seems more intentional.
He keeps his wounded hand in front of his body so you can't see it and picks up his suitcase with his left hand. Remember it's a mirror. He is drinking left handed, his right hand is out of frame. He gets up and turns, keeping his right hand in front of his body where it can't be seen, then picks up his suitcase with his left hand.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Not sure about "the Penguin", but it seemed apparent to me that "the Zebra" was referencing Ella's hair. Her dark roots had grown in again, and next to her blond white hair, she looks like a zebra. The zebra is back again...
Last edited by madeleineferguson on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Hasn't it come up at all that the woodsman in the jail cell with the head that floats away seems very similar to the head-floating-away story about Briggs? I asked before because I assumed it had. We need to get to the bottom of this.
HagbardCeline wrote:Remember it's a mirror.
The mirror struggle is real! :lol:
mirror_problems.jpg
mirror_problems.jpg (285 KiB) Viewed 10089 times
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

zmccain wrote:
NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:
counterpaul wrote:
I'm thinking that Ray might have been simply lying to COOPER about Betty. One thing that occurred to me is that Ruth wrote the coordinates on her arm. Her body is missing. Whoever has that body has those coordinates. Ray certainly seems to have some secrets.
Possible. But I think Cooper is too cunning and smart to be played by Ray (although Ray did play him with the whole gun thing). Perhaps Jeffries has them as well as Ray?
I'm starting to think it's a real possibility that Jeffries wanted the coordinates as well. We need to remember that Jeffries paid Ray and what'sherface to kill Evil Cooper.
And remember what DoppelCoop said in earlier episode: "The game is beginning" So indeed maybe it's a game on who will get those coordinates first.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

by HagbardCeline » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:50 am
Ike The Spike...... I also think he was making the worried squeaking sound right before the scene ends.

^^this is another example of how repetition in this series works. If he hadn't made the same disappointed squeak when his spike got bent a few episodes ago, this squeak would have been less of a punchline.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:Wasn't there a rumor in the pipeline that Cooper is supposed to awaken in episode 13? Take everything with a grain of salt I know, but with how things have been moving and the next episode title in mind I have a feeling it might happen then if not sooner.
Spoiler:
It very much depends on who says it, I suppose, and the context. It's a stand-out title to the Twin Peaks viewer, of course, but I wonder if Laura is "the One" or just "the one".

Have we had any titles beyond 12: "Let's rock" announced yet?
yes, part 13: "What story is that, Charlie?"
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

With so many people looking at this thing as a TV series, I think a lot of the plot is getting reprioritized to fulfill certain expectations. After episode 9 especially, the entire run so far can be re-watched in a different light, as I expect will happen with each remaining episode. It does not need to be reiterated that this is one single movie, and is properly viewed as such (yes, I’m looking at all the “oh, episode 4 is better than episode 6” shenanigans – although I think it is a testament to Lynch that so many people with so many different expectations can be brought on board to this amazing experiment).
Here’s the thing. When Coop finally returns, it may be the most epic and ecstatic return of a character in TV/movie history. I will be disappointed if it is not. Even looking back at the pre-season trailer from this vantage point in the story I get weepy seeing that one second shot of Dale driving a car. I did not get emotional seeing this originally before the series started. Gandalf had to fight some flaming beast in the dark for years in order to return, but what did you feel upon his victory? Maybe you thought, “Oh wow, cool.” That’s about as high as you can get from a mainstream movie, isn’t it?
If I feel anything from this so far, I feel that the return of Cooper is the “eye of the duck” in The Return. Laura may be The One, but Cooper is the eye. I anticipate something like a physical climax upon his victory (well, almost!), similar to that of Laura’s victory in FWWM. So don’t despair, Dougie haters; in the words of another great David Lynch Bob, “don't play it for real until it gets real.” In other words (and with the same words) “When it gets real, we will feel it for real.” This is why I am fan of Lynch, anyway.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Still not sure which Coop is driving the car.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Jerry Horne wrote:Probably nothing but did anyone else notice, during the Chad lunch scene, Bobby scratching himself? Rash?
Leave Bobby alone, Jerry! He's a good man/cop!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.