Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by LostInTheMovies »

yaxomoxay wrote:
dropkick23 wrote:Notice that the bug girl looks like Nadine (and wears a similar dress) and a woman working at a diner and a mechanic are the 3 shown falling asleep to the broadcast. Possible Nadine, Ed, Norma connection.
Interesting!
Is the place Twin Peaks in the 1950's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One idea I had - more in a poetic than a literal sense - is that it's the raw material with which, combined with the bug creature and the woodsmen's radio incantations, the girl we see dreams up Twin Peaks.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

that was such a fascinating episode. and more fascinating the more you think about it.

-In terms of straight narrative stuff: ray shooting DoppelCoop was a total out-of-nowhere shock. Was fully expecting the opposite. But Ray checking in with Jeffries dropped some real interesting clues.

-But the resurrection of DoppelCoop... is DoppelCoop going to be the new DougieCoop? With whatever the woodmen extracted, maybe it's DoppelCoop's turn to wander around in a zoned out state. Doubt that's actually what happens tho.

-Did the 50s woodsman (also top tier creepiness) voice sound like the voice on the phone/trasnmitter DoppelCoop was trying to call Jeffries on in the motel room? Or maybe just the pitched-down distorted voice effect was similar.

-The scene with the woodsmen flocking DoppelCoop after being shot is one of my favorite TP scenes ever now. Also one of the creepiest, and I didn't think season 3 would be able to out creep some of the legendary stuff from the first two seasons.

-The starchild Laura stuff I'm not so sure about. Meh. Middle class white girl as the saviour of all goodness in the world? Eh.... Seems a bit overwrought. Pretty funny that these cosmic beings had her high school prom photo...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

My response to part 8: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/06/ ... light.html

I loved this, I mean God how could I not. Surprisingly, given how unique and unexpected it was, a lot of comparisons came to mind.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

And we got to meet the mother of BOB. How about that?
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Does anyone know what song played during the ritual in the woods? The muted tones scared my pants off!
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

Oh and Ray says he "tricked" DoppelCoop. So was he in on some plan with the warden to get rid of DoppelCoop? How else could he have rigged the guns like that?
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

I agree with you on being overwrought.

Wow, these forums fill up fast. I spent about 25 minutes breaking down the episode (used sections of book at times so think interpreted most of it fairly correctly) for anyone interested it's now several pgs. (pg. 17) back lol...

I think I'll refrain from long posts in the future for this reason until things calm down bit but great to see so many are interested in this show.
Last edited by DoppelBocker on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

thedarktrees wrote:-The starchild Laura stuff I'm not so sure about. Meh. Middle class white girl as the saviour of all goodness in the world? Eh.... Seems a bit overwrought. Pretty funny that these cosmic beings had her high school prom photo...
Well sure, but also a confused-as-hell self-loathing, deeply depressed prostitute, drug addict, and sexual abuse victim...who began narrative life as a "dead girl" MacGuffin in a murder mystery.

Lynch has his limitations, but I would still caution against discounting how radical and subversive this gesture remains.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Mallard wrote:"Critics Notebook: How 'Legion' scooped 'Twin Peaks' as 2017's Weird Show to Watch"

In hindsight, I'd say the author of this article feels they were a bit shortsighted in their bold proclamation.
LOL, I think that dick has admitted he hasn't even bothered to watch the new show.

Much to my surprise though, most critics are continuing to give the show a wide respectful berth and are being quite complimentary to it, even tonight. I think there is a quiet recognition that it's blown everything else off the map in terms of innovation. Leaves everything in the dust. I didn't know it could do that again.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
thedarktrees wrote:-The starchild Laura stuff I'm not so sure about. Meh. Middle class white girl as the saviour of all goodness in the world? Eh.... Seems a bit overwrought. Pretty funny that these cosmic beings had her high school prom photo...
Well sure, but also a confused-as-hell self-loathing, deeply depressed prostitute, drug addict, and sexual abuse victim...who began narrative life as a "dead girl" MacGuffin in a murder mystery.

Lynch has his limitations, but I would still caution against discounting how radical and subversive this gesture remains.
Agreed. It's amazing.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

LostInTheMovies wrote:

Yeah, that's a really interesting way of framing it differently.... Lots to think about there.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

I neither loved nor hated this episode. After last week's very straight-forward episode 7, I guess I was falsely lulled into thinking the narrative would continue in that vein and pick up some of those threads, but instead we went totally off the rails into a Lynchian mindf**k, which was actually (mostly) pretty interesting stuff. The creepiness factor alone in the 50s scenes was worth the price of admission. And I actually liked the NIN part, fit in well with the mood and tone of what came before.

Having said all of that, I think the "pure heroin Lynch" aspect of the show works better when countered and balanced with some of the modern day stuff, both in Twin Peaks, Vegas and elsewhere. Episode 3 is a good example of this, or maybe I just thought so at the time since it was paired with Episode 4.

Not trying to complain because I think that was an incredible piece of art, but it's also frustrating knowing that we now have to wait 2 more weeks to see the town proper again. I want the weirdness, but I also want to see Big Ed and Audrey again in the same hour. Small-minded?
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Anyone who was craving world building and mythology expansion should be pretty pleased with Part 8.

:P

Was the mother/experiment spewing out cosmic garmonbozia? And if so, is BOB conscious/personified garmonbozia?

The aesthetics of the episode were mind blowing. The imagery, the sound, very expressionist (of suffering and destruction) while also doing major narrative work.

Disturbing, beautiful, grotesque, and sublime. Lynch can do it all.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Robot Butler wrote:
djsunyc wrote: i thought the little boy was a young leland but the years don't work out right. maybe the little girl will be leland's mother?
Yeah, i thought that's where they were going with it too. Not so sure now, though.

Have not yet read this thread. But I thought they were Cooper's parents.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

sylviecerise wrote:Anyone else feel more certain that the room with the Giant was the White Lodge? It seemed to be a large estate, as Major Briggs described. And filled with light...
I think it was Club Silencio