Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Pinky
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Pinky »

You can get a better sense of it in the pictures above, but just how big is the tower in the filmed version supposed to be? Maybe it was reading about Lynch's original scale of kilometre sized waves, but (apart from maybe the rocks at the base) it feels like that tower is truly gigantic. The 'window' we eventually zoom in on feels more like a huge cavern in size. Am I reading that wrong? The metal and the smoothness of it all makes it hard to gauge.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

I just re-read the first few pages of this thread. The sharp contrast between different responses made me chuckle.

“A masterpiece!”

“I want to throw my phone at the TV.”
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

it was great watching Twitter light up afterwards. What a night that was. Wasn't there a post by Deming or someone along the lines of 'you're not going to believe part 8' so there was a bit of expectation already. And then, boom!
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

boske wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:26 pm Having just rewatched part 8, I noticed a detail that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere, it is a black upward triangle. For a moment I thought it was a pyramid, but it was just a triangle. If you pay attention to that area while watching the scene you cannot miss it. I am not sure what to make of it just yet.
To revisit one earlier post of mine, there is one very simple explanation for the upward triangle, it is a classical symbol for the Fire element. That makes sense as it is on Fireman's place. This though presents another interesting link: It is a black triangle, not a white one (or one that would have a black stroke only), so it would in this context denote "black fire". We remember "There's fire where you are going.", and I am not sure for other people, but I had always thought, until this moment, that it had something to do with "mother" or "the Experiment", and yet it simply denoted the Fireman's place. So "there is fire where you are going" merely meant that one would end up at Fireman's place, which is what happened to Andy and Mr. C. It is still interesting though to recollect Hawk's demeanour when he was talking about "black fire" in the old map.