Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (SPOILERS)

Post by HagbardCeline »

A few of the 20 and 30-somethings who we were watching with had no idea that Marlon Brando was in The Wild One, and had never seen the Godfather. They just thought Michael Cera was talking funny! Yikes!

I'm still a bit confused with the ring. It does two different things in FWWM: It makes Agent Desmond just plain disappear. If he's sucked through the electricity into the lodge, I feel like he should be around somewhere. The second thing it does is make a target for Bob/Leland. The people we see wearing the ring end up being murdered by him. In Secret History, what exactly does the ring do? I don't have the book handy to check.
Last edited by HagbardCeline on Sun May 28, 2017 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

Smiling Bag wrote:This may have been mentioned but regarding the "3" and the "15". If we take 1991 as the starting point (When Laura gave cooper the 25 years later message in real world time). Maybe there is a thing that every 25 years you can go in or/out BUT in half that cycle (every 12 iish) years you can go back to that. SO, he wanted to go out in "15", (2015), but the blind lady either is malevolent or did now want him showing up "born again" with Evil Coop as clearly Evil Coop would take out DroolCoop. SO, there is a rule that you can go "back" half the cycle which would be 200"3".

I have had wine and am making this shit up, but roughly if you assume there are full 25 year cycles and some "tricks" at the halfway point, that would make 2003 an important possibility. (Jupiter and Saturn in the opposite of conjunction etc.).

Like someone else said, by the end of Episode 5 this may all be moot.

How blessed we are to "anticipate" what hasn't occurred yet vs. 26 years of over analyzing what had occurred already.

This is a brilliant theory and brings up many questions and yes it's such a weird feeling having to wait for future peaks episodes but I am loving the ride. Name one other event that has had the fandom and coming back years later and being even better? We are all very blessed to be a part of this. I watched a video earlier of Lynch at Cannes after the premiere and he received a 10 minute ovation....his eyes were fighting back the tears but it is one of the single most emotional things I've ever seen after his last trip to the festival after seeing this I could care less how the rest of the series goes because he got to have that moment but lucky for us ut seems to get better with every episode.
QuantumMechanic

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by QuantumMechanic »

FlyingSquirrel wrote: Was that even Kyle's voice in the jail cell scene with Evil-Cooper speaking to Gordon, Albert, and Tammy?
I was wondering that very thing. Certainly seemed noticeably deeper than Evil-Coop's usual voice.
That gum you like is going to come back in style.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

I watched the purple room scene again, this time muted.
I am horrible at lip reading but it seems to me that the eyeless lady says "garmonbozia" to Cooper when she touches his face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NewShoes

Post by NewShoes »

I also noticed that Al Strobel's character is always listed as Philip Gerard in the new episodes instead of Mike (or MIKE) - yet we only see him in the Red Room...
raltenbach
Roadhouse Member

Post by raltenbach »

As our Cooper's first interaction outside of the lodge is with Jade, perhaps instead of the real world he is now living in "Invitation to Love"! I could see a character from that show rocking the green jacket and sideburns.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

NewShoes wrote:I also noticed that Al Strobel's character is always listed as Philip Gerard in the new episodes instead of Mike (or MIKE) - yet we only see him in the Red Room...
I was just mentioning something related to this in the thread for episodes (EDIT: parts) 1 & 2. It's confounding. The FWWM script calls him Gerard as well, both when he's running around irl with the ring, and when he's in the lodge at the end. The credits likewise refer to him as Philip Gerard (The One-Armed Man).
strobel.jpg
strobel.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 10510 times
I saw Al Strobel asked about this once, specifically why MIKE would appear in the lodge with the visage of Gerard, and Strobel said he felt it was simply an artistic choice. So, essentially, appearing as Strobel was the best option for the *feel* of MIKE (and Strobel does an incredible job looking powerful and authoritative at the end of FWWM.)

None of this explains why Strobel isn't in the credits of the return as MIKE, or at least as MIKE/Gerard. Of course Gerard himself could have been pulled into the lodge in the return, so Strobel could really be playing Gerard in those scenes (though I doubt it).
Last edited by Jasper on Thu May 25, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

When Briggs' head floating in space says "Blue Rose" (according to the subtitles) it sounded to me like he said something else... "Ming rose" or something similar, definitely not "Blue"... Did anyone else have the same impression?
Gaspar's Apprentice

Post by Gaspar's Apprentice »

I have a feeling that HAwk's journey relating to his heritage will be central to discovering the origin of the green ring, which was passed on through the generations by his ancestor, Twisted Hair, who was of the Nez Perce tribe - first to Meriwether Lewis. I believe that the indian tribes were very familiar with the black lodge and its grip over humans - in accordance with the duality that is repeatedly emphasised in the show I believe that there are two rings, one which protects you from being possessed by lodge inhabitants (BOB), and another ring which grants you worldy pleasures in exchange for your soul ("Satanic" ring), which also opens a portal to the Black Lodge. "The Magician longs to see", "Fire Walk with me" poem makes reference to the magick ritual which summoners like Aleister Crowley, Nixon, etc would chant in order to journeying to the Lodge and in so doing, free Lodge inhabitants like BOB who would run riot in the real world and possess their souls.

In terms of what this means for the show, I think that once the demonic spirits/dopplegangers (evil Coop) have been freed, the only way to deliver said spirits back is via a sacrifice (i.e., in the original show, Leland/BOB murdering Laura). Luckily for BOB, Windham Earle led Cooper to the Lodge, who experienced fear at the thought of losing Annie - this allowed BOB to in effect return through Coopers doppleganger.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Gordon wrote:When Briggs' head floating in space says "Blue Rose" (according to the subtitles) it sounded to me like he said something else... "Ming rose" or something similar, definitely not "Blue"... Did anyone else have the same impression?
Perhaps "blooming rose"? Not sure what you heard...
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Possible Secret History spoilers, but what do we think about Dougie Jones and Dougie Milford sharing a name?
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

I have a little theory on why laura is in the lodge, as a spirit.

In FWWM they said the the ring "thy wed" right? Could that be that with the ring you choose "the bride" of a spirit and not just the one who will be killed?
Or maybe that's connected. They choose who will wed the spirit, and then kill her (while wearing the ring) cause that's the only way to have her in the lodge.

Mike didn't want to wed (so to trap) Laura in the lodge, but in some way he find that to be better than be possessed by BOB.

But then again, why is Leland in the lodge? Maybe all the people in contact with the spirit of the lodge are doomed to not die and finish there. As the fantastic old waiter, vehicle of the giant.

Talking about the time travel line. I think that's very possible, maybe not in the way we think. But we all know that time and space it's very different in the lodge.

We discovered that the lodge can move through space (new york, twin peaks, etc), cause it is really nowhere. I would not be surprise if it can move even though time.
Actually we have seen that, when Anni talked to Laura. Or when Coop had the dream where Laura told him that her father killed her. Where we now know that it wasn't a dream.

I am quite sure that bad coop knows A LOT about the lodge and its abilities and possibilities. How the hell did he know the time of when he would have been pull back in the lodge? How did he even know that we would be eventually pull back?

Sorry for my bad english and my long post.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

ThumbsUp wrote:Possible Secret History spoilers, but what do we think about Dougie Jones and Dougie Milford sharing a name?

Lynch has the habit to share the names of the character. Like mike and bob.. I think it means nothing, or maybe he only want to press on the "doppelganger stuff"
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Smiling Bag wrote:This may have been mentioned but regarding the "3" and the "15". If we take 1991 as the starting point (When Laura gave cooper the 25 years later message in real world time). Maybe there is a thing that every 25 years you can go in or/out BUT in half that cycle (every 12 iish) years you can go back to that. SO, he wanted to go out in "15", (2015), but the blind lady either is malevolent or did now want him showing up "born again" with Evil Coop as clearly Evil Coop would take out DroolCoop. SO, there is a rule that you can go "back" half the cycle which would be 200"3".

I have had wine and am making this shit up, but roughly if you assume there are full 25 year cycles and some "tricks" at the halfway point, that would make 2003 an important possibility. (Jupiter and Saturn in the opposite of conjunction etc.).

Like someone else said, by the end of Episode 5 this may all be moot.

How blessed we are to "anticipate" what hasn't occurred yet vs. 26 years of over analyzing what had occurred already.
I really hope they ignore what year it is in the new show. Some fans get annoyed when the timelines do not match up (I am not one of those- frankly, I do not even notice those types of details) so if they keep the year as ambiguous as possible, then everyone can assume for themselves what year they believe it is.

On the other hand, if there are alternate timelines, that also kind of works, showing that time if 'fungible' in this new reality we have all been introduced to.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

yaxomoxay wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:God, these episodes are even better the second time. Just finished my re-watch... I found Preston less annoying this go-around, and that scene with her, Gordon, Albert and Evil Coop way more terrifying for some reason. Props to MacLachlan, who's doing a great job anchoring this piece, swinging between Evil Coop, Catatonic Coop and who knows what else in coming eps.

Also, did we decide who the "1-1-9" woman is? Reddit is saying that she's supposed to mirror the events in the Purple Room in the prior scene.
From wiki:
"119 in France is a free emergency number for beaten children."

Considering the scene, with an addict and a poor kid it might make sense. I also read somewhere that France is somewhat in the story.
Good catch. I didn't know that.

As for France: well France/French production has been funding Lynch for decades. I've read a bit on the speculation, but it doesn't matter. I would surprise me if France is NOT paid attention to by Lynch. Considering his funding sources, he owes a debt to the French viewers that hasn't been paid yet.