Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by N. Needleman »

When has Bobby ever not been emotional?
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:And the Lucy and Andy scene was terrible. What happened to the characters?
While I liked the scene, I totally get what you mean. Perhaps Harry and Kimmy have been out of the acting game for too long but it shows that the writing or acting or both has been off for Andy and Lucy this season.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I loved it. But I also think their performances are very specific to what Lynch wants now (not unlike how they're used in The Missing Pieces).
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

N. Needleman wrote:I loved it. But I also think their performances are very specific to what Lynch wants now (not unlike how they're used in The Missing Pieces).
That's a great point! Andy and Lucy in The Missing Pieces are indeed very similar to what we're seeing of them in the new season.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

For some reason, I liked the skanky girl scene near the end. Just some flashbacks to some of Lynch's earlier works. I swear that the close up of the rash was both disgusting and hilarious. I took a screen shot but feel that it may be just too much to post here. Complete with swelling and pustules. Suffice it to say that the make-up/SFX department did a great job. :shock:
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

wxray wrote:BTW, captions actually helped since it started off with "Sylvia:". We braced ourselves for a Johnny sighting and were able to absorb the scene better.
Except that someone said Sylvia's first line was captioned as "Mary"? Pretty sure it was supposed to be "Jerry."
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

wxray wrote:For some reason, I liked the skanky girl scene near the end. Just some flashbacks to some of Lynch's earlier works. I swear that the close up of the rash was both disgusting and hilarious. I took a screen shot but feel that it may be just too much to post here. Complete with swelling and pustules. Suffice it to say that the make-up/SFX department did a great job. :shock:
And the sound of the scratching was...grating.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

vicksvapor77 wrote: Perhaps Harry and Kimmy have been out of the acting game for too long but it shows that the writing or acting or both has been off for Andy and Lucy this season.
Completely
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

N. Needleman wrote:When has Bobby ever not been emotional?
I don't remember feeling a repetitive pattern back then but what do I know
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

Methedrome wrote:It was pretty obvious in the first few seconds that it was Johnny and Sylvia Horne.
Not sure why that eluded so many people.
i even figured out it has to be somewhere in the great northern - did we have that interior before in TOS?
i instantly knew it would be the Horne Home from the ceiling in the first 2 seconds.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:And the Lucy and Andy scene was terrible. What happened to the characters?
While I liked the scene, I totally get what you mean. Perhaps Harry and Kimmy have been out of the acting game for too long but it shows that the writing or acting or both has been off for Andy and Lucy this season.
They are really superfluous to the show right now. While they were perfect comic relief characters in the original series with their eccentricities and a budding romance, it just doesn't work the same when they are middle aged people. It's still good to see them in the show, but I wish they were given more of a story arc integral to the plot. The only thing we got was Andy acting like a naive rookie cop and getting stood up by a potential witness/suspect.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:When has Bobby ever not been emotional?
I don't remember feeling a repetitive pattern back then but what do I know
He always wore his heart on his sleeve, but he displayed a wide range of emotions: arrogance, cockiness, anger, humor, lust (for Shelly), and fear as well. In season 3 he just looks like he's about to cry all the time.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Nighthawk wrote: They are really superfluous to the show right now. While they were perfect comic relief characters in the original series with their eccentricities and a budding romance, it just doesn't work the same when they are middle aged people. It's still good to see them in the show, but I wish they were given more of a story arc integral to the plot. The only thing we got was Andy acting like a naive rookie cop and getting stood up by a potential witness/suspect.
My exact thoughts
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Nighthawk wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
They are really superfluous to the show right now. While they were perfect comic relief characters in the original series with their eccentricities and a budding romance, it just doesn't work the same when they are middle aged people. It's still good to see them in the show, but I wish they were given more of a story arc integral to the plot. The only thing we got was Andy acting like a naive rookie cop and getting stood up by a potential witness/suspect.
Very well stated. Even Ben has a tenuous connection to the main plot with receiving Cooper's key. It would be nice to see them connect Andy and Lucy to the main plot eventually. I hope it happens.
thewindinthepines

Post by thewindinthepines »

ThumbsUp wrote:Johnny's "death" (?) scene reminded me of Maddy's.
That, as well at Ben Horne's own head-slam into the fireplace by Doc Hayward in the last episode of season 2.
I personally wonder if it will wake something up inside him. Johnny's character has always intrigued me--I used to think he was just an absurd character Lynch threw in the mix for the fun of it, which could be true, but his obsession with that Native American headdress/archery/wooping makes me think he knows something others don't or is connected to the lodges or had some traumatic experience in the woods as a kid.
Audrey, I remember, says something like "He has emotional problems. Runs in the family."
Could also be growing up in that damned hotel, which is without a doubt majorly connected to the lodges/spirit world.
Beyond the connection's to Maddy's death and Ben's mishap in the last episode...Nadine and Mike both snap out of their comas when hit in the head with sandbags. Bob frees himself from Leland by running his head into the door. And then of course there's the 'How's Annie' head-in-mirror scene with Coop.
Someone else on this forum mentioned they think we might be seeing Johnny's funeral soon. I'm not so sure--but dead or alive, I now believe Lynch put him in the series for a very specific purpose.
AAAAAAAAAmen!