Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by LostInTheMovies »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:If Lucy wanted the red chair the whole time she could have just agreed immediately when Andy wanted it. I think it was meant as a genuine moment of sweetness between the two,
Lucy's little smirk indicates otherwise to me. I think it's just a way for her to win while also looking like the good guy.

Also, Mullins mentioned Dougie has worked for him for 12 years but Dougie didn't exist until 1997? I don't think this season takes place in 2019. Continuity error?
1997 was 20 years ago. You're welcome for making you feel old. ;)
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

yaxomoxay wrote:Why there's a flash of light when Johnny slams his head? Should we read anything into it?
He's going to reappear in Buenos Aires via the electrical wiring he cranially impacted. The Grandson appeared in a dream where he entered the vintage White Tail Falls photo, so he got confused and tried. :wink:

There is a cavity behind the falls that's part of the hydroelectric plant.

Damn I'm going to be analyzing the books of Robert Heinlein for a minute
Attachments
Double_Star_first_edition_cover.jpg
Double_Star_first_edition_cover.jpg (26.55 KiB) Viewed 9315 times
f87ee8e0cd98053a398f2f1630eab4f6.png
f87ee8e0cd98053a398f2f1630eab4f6.png (135.25 KiB) Viewed 9321 times
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:If Lucy wanted the red chair the whole time she could have just agreed immediately when Andy wanted it. I think it was meant as a genuine moment of sweetness between the two,
Lucy's little smirk indicates otherwise to me. I think it's just a way for her to win while also looking like the good guy.

Also, Mullins mentioned Dougie has worked for him for 12 years but Dougie didn't exist until 1997? I don't think this season takes place in 2019. Continuity error?
Recheck your math. :D
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Also, Mullins mentioned Dougie has worked for him for 12 years but Dougie didn't exist until 1997? I don't think this season takes place in 2019. Continuity error?
You're having a hard time this morning. :lol: Have you had your coffee? It's dangerous to post on the internet without having had at least one mug of strong black coffee.
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

OMG OMG OMG

Go the web site address and then click on here and see where it'll lead you :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

http://thesearchforthezone.com/#

Click here to read my older journal entries
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Jasper wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Also, Mullins mentioned Dougie has worked for him for 12 years but Dougie didn't exist until 1997? I don't think this season takes place in 2019. Continuity error?
You're having a hard time this morning. :lol: Have you had your coffee? It's dangerous to post on the internet without having had at least one mug of strong black coffee.
LOL, you're right I haven't! Redacting what I said HAHA
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Finally saw the episode- loved it, and it has now settled into a regular mode of plot updates IMO. Enough is now moving forward to guarantee momentum.

I reckon that the coordinate link on the website will change towards next weeks episode. What if it is meant as a web cam? i.e. a real time update towards the events of next weeks episode?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Esselgee wrote:Well, I guess we now know that Tim Roth isn't playing Philip Jeffries.
Thank God.
I admit that I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that Roth wasn't playing Jeffries. For a long time we've been living with the theory that Roth might be taking that role, but Bowie's just too one-of-a-kind for a recast.
steadybox

Post by steadybox »

cowwithfivelegs wrote:The coordinates are on the bottom of Hastings' website:
44°30'44.8"N 103°49'14.6"W
44.512439, -103.820707
And if you click the text that contains the coordinates, it shows you a flashing picture of the convenience store.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

Well it's the first time this season I thought a part was boring. At least Part 6 was full of great ideas, even if sometimes they weren't really well executed. But here everything felt predictable and formulaic. At the end, the scene at the Roadhouse (again) with Au Revoir Simone (again) made me wanna sleep.

It's not that it was just all narrative and no esthetic (like for exemple Part 7), it's that it was overly expository. Blablabla, all talk. Totally agree with Mr. Reindeer about that.
I mean, what was so brilliant about 3.08 -- I kept thinking about it last week, like everyone I suppose --, it's not only how crazy and beautiful it looked : it's how Lynch here has never been in a way so clear and narative about the origin of the oniric figures of his world. We understand so much about Bob and the Red Room, I never though Lynch would go so deep in the explanation of this universe. But at the same time, nothing is told, nothing is litteral, everything is figurative, everything is cinema. If Lynch was a conceptual guy, he could even have made the 3.08 as a silent film to really make his point : to prove that you can manage to be « narative » in yet a totally figurative way, without dialogues (but since he’s totally free, well, he don’t care about demonstration).
So yeah, even If we can't expect something like 3.08 every week, this part was a letdown.

Plus, all the funny stuff fell flat. I agree with Rhodes : the old characters scenes are in general not as good as the rest.

I was also a bit disappointed by the role of Roth. Very, very forgettable. I hope he's not going to disappear a la Jeremy Davies.

On the brighter side, Matthew Lillard was as brilliant as before. He really saves the scene because otherwise it's a pretty deceptive one. And I liked Sky Ferreira very much. She's captivating and a lot better than in "The Green Inferno". Even though she seems a bit lost with all this new TP characters that appears and then fade away (hello Amanda Seyfried ?). I guess she's gonna meet Balthazar Getty or Richard Horne one time or another. Or not...

Anyway, I hope we're gonna SEE something next week and not being told about it.

Part 8 > Part 3 > Part 1 > Part 4 > Part 7 > Part 5 > Part 2 > Part 6 > Part 9
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

It was pretty obvious in the first few seconds that it was Johnny and Sylvia Horne.
Not sure why that eluded so many people.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Jerry hearing his foot say it was not his foot reminded me of Cooper losing his shoes when he went through the socket back in episode 3. I feel like Dougie/Cooper seeing the red shoes as he passes the electric socket is also a flashback to that moment, just like when Coop was transfixed by the statues shoes a couple episodes back.

Another thing a few episodes ago Jerry was missing his car as was Dougie/Cooper. I wonder if there's a connection between the two? They both seem lost for sure.
Last edited by chromereflectsimage on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

djsunyc wrote:we or officially done with the 1st half of the show...and we are still dealing with dougiecoop...amazing.
The story doesn't call for Real Coop to emerge yet. I think we'll get him when the dark forces will closely threaten Twin Peaks.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

N. Needleman wrote:I said this elsewhere, but:

- Bad Dale and the Kreamed Korn Kru are looking for the coordinates Hastings and Ruth found
- Hastings says that when they gave the coordinates to Briggs he apparently ascended to somewhere beautiful/Purple Town/the White Lodge?
- Could Bad Coop be plotting to invade the White Lodge?
DoppelCoop is going to try and nuke the White Lodge, or somehow release Mother. Who's the billionaire with the box? Jeffries?