Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote:On the question of BOB and Cooper, it seems like a good time to repost these two quotes from David Lynch, which come from two separate interviews, both many years ago:
INTERVIEWER: So, was Cooper occupied by BOB in the script before you changed it?

LYNCH: No, but Coop wasn’t occupied by BOB. Part of him was. There are two Coops in there, and the one that came out was, you know, with BOB.
INTERVIEWER: Why was Cooper possessed by Bob at the end? It seems like he’s lost it.

LYNCH: Well the thing is he hasn’t been possessed. It’s the doppelgänger thing, the idea of two sides to everyone, he’s really up against himself.
BOB_Coopelganger.jpg
Those quotes are both from the same interview, Chris Rodley's Lynch on Lynch book.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jasper wrote:On the question of BOB and Cooper, it seems like a good time to repost these two quotes from David Lynch, which come from two separate interviews, both many years ago:
INTERVIEWER: So, was Cooper occupied by BOB in the script before you changed it?

LYNCH: No, but Coop wasn’t occupied by BOB. Part of him was. There are two Coops in there, and the one that came out was, you know, with BOB.
INTERVIEWER: Why was Cooper possessed by Bob at the end? It seems like he’s lost it.

LYNCH: Well the thing is he hasn’t been possessed. It’s the doppelgänger thing, the idea of two sides to everyone, he’s really up against himself.
BOB_Coopelganger.jpg
Those quotes are both from the same interview, Chris Rodley's Lynch on Lynch book.
I was under the impression that these two interviews took place at different times, even though it's the same interviewer. I don't know why I have this impression, but I could be mistaken. I know the interviews took place 1993-1996.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

krishnanspace wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:Also after regaining his memory, first thing Cooper should do is find how's Annie
And he'll be crushed if he finds out Bad Coop killed her in the intervening years...
She is definitely dead. If she was alive she would have told hawk or anyone what happened to Cooper. Also after the final episode shouldn't Dr Hayward and Harry Truman know something is wrong with Cooper after he came from the red room?
Annie could be alive. Perhaps she never emerged from her catatonic state, or if she did, she could have no memory of the entire ordeal. Or she could just be dead. They'll have to tell us at some point....won't they?
-Mr. Jackpots-

Post by -Mr. Jackpots- »

bookkeeper wrote:apologies if this was already covered....

in the blue scene with Albert and Gordon..

GORDON: Did you talk to Cooper?

ALBERT: No.

GORDON: What information did they want?

The they in this statement puzzles me. If Phillip Jeffries was the one calling, since Albert just said he didn't talk to Coop why doesn't Gordon say, "What information did he [Phillip] want?" Is the they implying that they knew that Phillip and Cooper were "off the radar" together and Phillip was calling Albert and saying something along the lines of "Hey Cooper asked me to ask you for x?" Now part of me wants to think that the "they" implies that Gordon knows about the lodge spirits and the they in this case is Gordon asking "Why would the lodge spirits want to know that piece of information?"...

There's also that bit where after he sort of scolds Albert he looks off to the side and there's a subtle high pitched noise for a few seconds before he looks back at Albert.

All in all one of my favorite scenes thus far. RIP Miguel.

/BKPR
Maybe I´m wrong, but I understand that in this way: Bad Coop (dopplegänger) was pretending to be the good one and was trying to get some information from Jeffries (hm..didn´t he dissapeared?). Then the FBI man in Columbia was murdered (by Bad Coop)...so Albert made a huge mistake. But I don´t get why they are talking about Jeffries like he was alive, OK, and working as an agent (because of that FWWM scene)....
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Jasper wrote:Annie could be alive. Perhaps she never emerged from her catatonic state, or if she did, she could have no memory of the entire ordeal. Or she could just be dead. They'll have to tell us at some point....won't they?
Unless Heather Graham's statement that she really wanted to be on the new season and they didn't even call her is just a mis-direct...who knows. She wasn't mentioned anywhere in Secret History, and Lana (the redhead who marries Douglas Milford) is named as the winner of the Miss Twin Peaks contest in Secret History. When Mark Frost was asked about this, his reply was "All will be revealed."
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

-Mr. Jackpots- wrote:
bookkeeper wrote:apologies if this was already covered....

in the blue scene with Albert and Gordon..

GORDON: Did you talk to Cooper?

ALBERT: No.

GORDON: What information did they want?

The they in this statement puzzles me. If Phillip Jeffries was the one calling, since Albert just said he didn't talk to Coop why doesn't Gordon say, "What information did he [Phillip] want?" Is the they implying that they knew that Phillip and Cooper were "off the radar" together and Phillip was calling Albert and saying something along the lines of "Hey Cooper asked me to ask you for x?" Now part of me wants to think that the "they" implies that Gordon knows about the lodge spirits and the they in this case is Gordon asking "Why would the lodge spirits want to know that piece of information?"...

There's also that bit where after he sort of scolds Albert he looks off to the side and there's a subtle high pitched noise for a few seconds before he looks back at Albert.

All in all one of my favorite scenes thus far. RIP Miguel.

/BKPR
Maybe I´m wrong, but I understand that in this way: Bad Coop (dopplegänger) was pretending to be the good one and was trying to get some information from Jeffries (hm..didn´t he dissapeared?). Then the FBI man in Columbia was murdered (by Bad Coop)...so Albert made a huge mistake. But I don´t get why they are talking about Jeffries like he was alive, OK, and working as an agent (because of that FWWM scene)....
Perhaps this is an alternative reality where Jeffries never dissapeared. Maybe Chet Desmond never dissapeared either.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

It could be Jeffries reappeared somewhere along the years.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

..or Jeffries could have simply come back and joined the FBI again sometime during this quarter of a century..
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

HagbardCeline wrote:Unless Heather Graham's statement that she really wanted to be on the new season and they didn't even call her is just a mis-direct...who knows. She wasn't mentioned anywhere in Secret History, and Lana (the redhead who marries Douglas Milford) is named as the winner of the Miss Twin Peaks contest in Secret History. When Mark Frost was asked about this, his reply was "All will be revealed."
It could be any number of things. They've been plotting for years, and it shows.
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:Perhaps this is an alternative reality where Jeffries never dissapeared. Maybe Chet Desmond never dissapeared either.
If Chet Desmond had casually sauntered in during one of the FBI scenes with Gordon my mind would have been blown.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Jasper wrote:
HagbardCeline wrote:Unless Heather Graham's statement that she really wanted to be on the new season and they didn't even call her is just a mis-direct...who knows. She wasn't mentioned anywhere in Secret History, and Lana (the redhead who marries Douglas Milford) is named as the winner of the Miss Twin Peaks contest in Secret History. When Mark Frost was asked about this, his reply was "All will be revealed."
It could be any number of things. They've been plotting for years, and it shows.
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:Perhaps this is an alternative reality where Jeffries never dissapeared. Maybe Chet Desmond never dissapeared either.
If Chet Desmond had casually sauntered in during one of the FBI scenes with Gordon my mind would have been blown.
Yeah that would be awesome.
I'd be frothing at the mouth to see either of those agents make an appearance. Even Sam Stanley
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

HagbardCeline wrote:
Jasper wrote:Annie could be alive. Perhaps she never emerged from her catatonic state, or if she did, she could have no memory of the entire ordeal. Or she could just be dead. They'll have to tell us at some point....won't they?
Unless Heather Graham's statement that she really wanted to be on the new season and they didn't even call her is just a mis-direct...who knows. She wasn't mentioned anywhere in Secret History, and Lana (the redhead who marries Douglas Milford) is named as the winner of the Miss Twin Peaks contest in Secret History. When Mark Frost was asked about this, his reply was "All will be revealed."

It's because the dossier is not accurate. It was done on purpose by frost to give us sporadic wrong information, to make us realise the dossier wasn't right. In fact, when the Final Dossier will come out, i think the dossier will be corrected.
RedThread

Post by RedThread »

Theory: if Naomi Watts character's name is Janey-E, maybe Dougie is actually spelled Dug-E, as his license plate reads. The Dug is short for Dugpa.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Dougie Furs!
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

sugarhigh wrote:Ranco Rosa lady.jpg
During the original airing I thought it was the hooded figure from the spoiler pic w/ Kyle standing near the yellow Jeep....
yes there was a hooded person. Arbogast at the time mentioned that the cape/hood was Lynch's way of hiding pivotal actors from prying eyes. Their face was even covered in that photo. Belushi also referenced the hoods in an interview, (GMA??) when he was talking about the secrecy of production.

I do wonder what Arobgast's view of the series is to date? They knew more than most, obviously, but I would hope that some aspects are a surprise to him/her.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

krishnanspace wrote:Also after regaining his memory, first thing Cooper should do is find how's Annie
I can't wait until he sees and tastes a donut or cherry pie. :lol: