Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by thedarktrees »

EddyEdson wrote:
dustoff wrote:
Of all the crazy theories I have ever read about Twin Peaks, that the man in this image is Charlie sitting on Audrey's shoulders in a large overcoat is my absolute favorite.
That we haven't yet heard anything about Armstrong's origin story is a pretty clear sign that the "Audrey" we see is actually the real Audrey's doppelganger, and that Armstrong is in fact the real Audrey, transformed into a small dog by Jeffries (Jeffries = Bowie = bow-wow, and note the role of the Dog Star in lots of deep mystical stuff).

***applause***
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

In all seriousness, the role of Jeffries in this is getting more and more interesting. It is established that he's somehow after DoppelCoop, given the Ray & Darya hit that he'd planned. If he HAS been searching out DoppelCoop, then it very well could be that Diane is working for Jeffries in all this -- if Jeffries is trying to track Coop, Diane would obviously be one of his first steps in trying to get to him. Jeffries has really become the interesting variable....
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

dustoff wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:I looked at that picture freeze frame immediately after the show and assumed it was Moby, but it fits that it is Clark Middleton as Charlie in a clownishly large overcoat standing on a ladder, or possibly on Audrey's shoulders, protecting her. The neck seems a little off for either Moby or Middleton, but I could buy it being either one. I also like thinking about Charlie and Chuck, Mr. C, together, which would be a natural pairing. Here's the photo lightened up a little.
Of all the crazy theories I have ever read about Twin Peaks, that the man in this image is Charlie sitting on Audrey's shoulders in a large overcoat is my absolute favorite.
I'm hoping for some fan art of Audrey under the overcoat to pop up on Reddit.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

I'm increasingly fascinated by Jeffries. Reading up on theories about him written prior to The Return (how, in the Lodge, because of the weird effects of time, Jeffries may have encountered Cooper or his doppelgänger, and that's why he responds to Cooper the way he does in FWWM) I've been wondering whether Jeffries has had a similar experience to Cooper, whether it was he who escaped the Lodge or someone who looked remarkably like him. And if it WAS a doppelgänger then has Jeffries already had his own Return scenario?

This is all wild speculation, filling in the void left by no clear answers but, frankly, I can't wait til we finally meet him. Or whoever is pretending to be him.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I am hoping we will see something here, not yet sure what and how, and I would not like to speculate, and I know nothing, just guessing.

It is interesting that we have people talking to Jeffries and Harry Truman over the phone. Last week Chester Desmond was mentioned in passing, and a few weeks prior to that, the name of Annie was briefly brought up too. I hope we will see some of these four characters, I hope we all get some surprises. It is just a hope. L&F must have prepared some surprises, that is what I am basing my hopes on.

To me, having Jeffries be such an important part of the plot and not show anything would look rather weak and be a real letdown IMO.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

boske wrote:I am hoping we will see something here, not yet sure what and how, and I would not like to speculate, and I know nothing, just guessing.

It is interesting that we have people talking to Jeffries and Harry Truman over the phone. Last week Chester Desmond was mentioned in passing, and a few weeks prior to that, the name of Annie was briefly brought up too. I hope we will see some of these four characters, I hope we all get some surprises. It is just a hope. L&F must have prepared some surprises, that is what I am basing my hopes on.

To me, having Jeffries be such an important part of the plot and not show anything would look rather weak and be a real letdown IMO.

I really wonder how, or IF, things would have been different had Bowie had lived long enough to shoot whatever scenes they might have originally planned. I wonder how much was shifted, changed, or edited when Bowie left us. I doubt Jeffries' larger role in the whole plot changed because of Bowie's death, but of course his actual physical or visual presence in the show would have. Would we have seen Jeffries by now had Bowie shot whatever had been planned for him?
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Lynch is a master at improvisation too. Again, I do not want to speculate. I did not keep track at when shooting of the Return commenced, DB did shoot Black Star and Lazarus relatively shortly before he passed away.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Audrey Horne wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:People are trying REALLY hard to make Audrey relevant to the plot. Jesus.
Maybe some people have waited twenty five years to enjoy certain possibilities, and right now it's perfectly fine to do that because they'll never have this moment in time again. There are many parades in these threads, no need to rain on some.

It's not like the character in most likelihood is the mother of a main character fathered cryptically by another main character.

Let us all enjoy our speculation.
Then bring up theories that actually make sense.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

EddyEdson wrote:
dustoff wrote:
It's brilliant.

Note that there's also room under the large overcoat for Armstrong the chihuahua to be hiding in there as well.

That we haven't yet heard anything about Armstrong's origin story is a pretty clear sign that the "Audrey" we see is actually the real Audrey's doppelganger, and that Armstrong is in fact the real Audrey, transformed into a small dog by Jeffries (Jeffries = Bowie = bow-wow, and note the role of the Dog Star in lots of deep mystical stuff).
Almost too on point. I worship this post.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

boske wrote:Lynch is a master at improvisation too. Again, I do not want to speculate. I did not keep track at when shooting of the Return commenced, DB did shoot Black Star and Lazarus relatively shortly before he passed away.
Shooting started in September 2015 in Washington, moved to CA in October, I believe. Logistically, Bowie could certainly have shot something in his NY studio, whether with a skeleton crew from the production, or with DKL directing remotely via Skype or something. There's a several-month window where they could have done something. The question is whether DKL knew how sick Bowie was or how much of a time crunch there could be, and whether Bowie would consider TP a priority when he was spending his very limited time racing to complete a more personal project.

Personally, I think it's very likely that, given the prominence of Jeffries in the story, DKL would certainly have reached out to Bowie, if not pre-production, certainly before Bowie passed (which was well past the midway point of shooting). The question is what conversation was had. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I do believe we'll get a glimpse of Jeffries as well as Harry before all is said and done.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
boske wrote:Lynch is a master at improvisation too. Again, I do not want to speculate. I did not keep track at when shooting of the Return commenced, DB did shoot Black Star and Lazarus relatively shortly before he passed away.
Shooting started in September 2015 in Washington, moved to CA in October, I believe. Logistically, Bowie could certainly have shot something in his NY studio, whether with a skeleton crew from the production, or with DKL directing remotely via Skype or something. There's a several-month window where they could have done something. The question is whether DKL knew how sick Bowie was or how much of a time crunch there could be, and whether Bowie would consider TP a priority when he was spending his very limited time racing to complete a more personal project.

Personally, I think it's very likely that, given the prominence of Jeffries in the story, DKL would certainly have reached out to Bowie, if not pre-production, certainly before Bowie passed (which was well past the midway point of shooting). The question is what conversation was had. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I do believe we'll get a glimpse of Jeffries as well as Harry before all is said and done.
I completely agree with you. Catherine Coulson passed away in September 2015. David Bowie filmed the Black Star video that very month and Lazarus two months later (November 2015). But that still does not mean anything. As you aptly said, we do not know what his priorities really were. I wished he filmed something, but it does not mean that he did even though it appears that there was a small window of opportunity.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:

I'd love to see him, and it does seem unlikely that Lynch wouldn't have approached him before shooting as much as they had at that point (perhaps Jeffries is only such a prominent character because Bowie had said he was on board). The character is so enigmatic so far they could easily have Jeffries appear elusive and distant, with some Frank Silva style CGI effect over someone else's face but I wouldn't be surprised if Bowie, an artist til the end, found some way to leave his mark on the Twin Peaks universe.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Major Briggs wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:People are trying REALLY hard to make Audrey relevant to the plot. Jesus.
Maybe some people have waited twenty five years to enjoy certain possibilities, and right now it's perfectly fine to do that because they'll never have this moment in time again. There are many parades in these threads, no need to rain on some.

It's not like the character in most likelihood is the mother of a main character fathered cryptically by another main character.

Absolutely.
TP is Rick Grimes's dream.
TWD is Cooper's dream.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:

Absolutely.
TP is Rick Grimes's dream.
TWD is Cooper's dream.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Still better than Audrey's midget being in NYC with DoppelCoop hahaha
vawriter

Post by vawriter »

eyeboogers wrote:Image

Audrey is not acting out of character. She is doing what she has always been doing, trying to help Cooper.
She has made a deal with the devil in marrying Charlie. Charlie has money and has probably been bank rolling that New York observatory location on Audrey's behalf. She is now caught in a loveless contract driven marriage with someone that might be dangerous.

Last but not least, Charlie seems to be involved with Mr.C.
This has blown my mind. Can't wait to see how this all shakes out.