Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by sewhite2000 »

I didn't know there were lots of interpretations about the ending of Blue Velvet, which I thought had one of the most comprehensible, clearly defined endings in Lynch history. I probably don't want to read them. They will make me as insane as the theory that Hawk at Glastonbury Grove takes place after everything else that happens in the entire new season ...
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Cappy wrote:The "Viva Las Vegas" cover works for me in a strange way -- I didn't even realize what song I was hearing until it got to the chorus. I imagine that Lynch was drawn to this cover's feeling of unfamiliar-ness slowly turning into something recognizable. Which is what Dougie has been going through all season, right?
it totally works
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

That's cool that it worked that way for you, but I think it would be a stretch to assume Lynch intended it work that way for everybody, given the wide variety of musical knowledge various viewers would have. I'm very familiar with Elvis' music, so I recognized this song less than one second into the vocals starting.
Elric99
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elric99 »

1derpalm wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
krishnanspace wrote: That looked like a small girl
That moment might have been the most mystifying of the entire episode for me. (And the most unsettling.)

Unsure whether it even meaningfully connects to the rest of the story - but if so, my guess is you're right. The kid got into someone's Sparkle.
I was definitely thinking that the lid got into sparkle by accident. Maybe the women is running drugs and the kid is there to keep heat off of her.
Remember back in the episode where Bobby is introduced, Truman mentions a kid OD'd at school. Apparently the kids are into sparkle.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

sewhite2000 wrote:That's cool that it worked that way for you, but I think it would be a stretch to assume Lynch intended it work that way for everybody, given the wide variety of musical knowledge various viewers would have. I'm very familiar with Elvis' music, so I recognized this song less than one second into the vocals starting.
let him and frost create their art ...it's not ours
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

I f loved the viva las vegas cover

every time i hear it now i picture bushnell with his smile, waving off dougie
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

homieonice wrote:I f loved the viva las vegas cover

every time i hear it now i picture bushnell with his smile, waving off dougie
Same here!
God knows I love Bushnell!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pvilmur
Roadhouse Member

Post by pvilmur »

Jerry Horne wrote:
With his hands reaching out by the house, Cole reminded me of the One Armed Man inside the Red Room.

He actually reminded me of a baby reaching up to his mother to pick him up.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

wAtChLaR wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:That's cool that it worked that way for you, but I think it would be a stretch to assume Lynch intended it work that way for everybody, given the wide variety of musical knowledge various viewers would have. I'm very familiar with Elvis' music, so I recognized this song less than one second into the vocals starting.
let him and frost create their art ...it's not ours
I have zero idea what the hell you mean by that. All I'm saying is we can't assume Lynch thought one hundred per cent of the viewers wouldn't recognize the song at first.
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

I have never seen anybody wearing a ring this way.

Also: I thought it was jarring that Shelly arrived really quickly after Becky's phone call (Becky was still pacing frantically), but her return trip to town took much longer.
the question is: where have you gone?
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by BigEd »

AJPRR2GO wrote:
I would just like to point out, on the off chance that no one else already has, that seeing 2 people standing together (granted it was closely together) is literally ALL we have to go on and we have already decided that they are sleeping together.
Maybe Becky is just that nutty girl who can't handle their significant other having any kind of contact whatsoever with another woman?
Maybe this older (as so many people also seem to mention) woman is some form of mentor for Steven. Trying to help him in life, with work, with his addictions.
We have seen absolutely nothing to confirm that they are actually doing anything at all besides talking, and yet the amount of posts inferring that they are screwing are very high.... Probably all correctly.
But it could also say far more about how quick we are to judge a situation based on absolutely zero knowledge of what is actually going on.
Really!!! :lol: They are having sex behind Becky's back!! How on earth would we reach any other conclusion?
windh
Roadhouse Member

Post by windh »

Slowly, Coop is acting less as a DOGGY.
/windh
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

BigEd wrote:This is what I'm reading from the arm:

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/48%C2% ... 17.4443222
I'm reading 4855142 117263458.

And if you translate that to 48°55'14.2"N 117°26'34.58"W and plug it into Google Maps you get a spot in Washington state just a hair south of the Canadian border and a few miles west of the state line. Sound familiar?

Pretty fun!

docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

Cappy wrote:The screaming woman and the little girl rising from the front seat like a possessed child was horrifying on my first watch, but on my second watch I couldn't stop laughing at the driver's constant and over-the-top screaming. Her voice became reminiscent of Chris Farley somehow... Did anyone else have this reaction?
I had the exact same reaction, laughed a lot while viewing the episode a 2nd and 3rd time. It's absolutely hilarious. And I guess the girl only has some food-poisoning. But it was filmed very dramatically.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

krishnanspace wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Where's the real Diane?

Is she a doppelgänger planted by Bad Coop?
I think the real Diane never smoked with Gordon.It was Gordons way of testing her.That what I think
That's an interesting observation. I've always assumed that doppelgängers retain the memories of the person they duplicate, but maybe they're just very clever, and pick up what their lives are supposed to have been based upon those around them treating them like the original. I'm trying to remember how much of what Bad Coop says at the end of Season 2 is based upon what Truman and the doc mention to him. "How's Annie?"

One thing I would point out is that Diane seems not to have dark eyes, like Bad Coop. Maybe that implies that she's only just come out of the Black Lodge (if she is indeed a doppelgänger). I guess the FBI have the opportunity to test her fingerprints, but as she knows that they know that I'd have to rewatch and see if she's been particularly careful about handling mugs with her bare hands.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "