Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Terence
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Terence »

I have to say that with the season almost half way over & to not actually be seeing the real Dale Cooper is a shame indeed.

Like i know he will be a changed man not the same as he was 25 years ago or more so the lodge is expected of course to affect him.

But to not see same Dale the character we all love & were waiting all this time to see him to only see him act & talk normal in the opening seconds talking to the giant then in part 2 in the Black Lodge & the first half of part 3 with him escaping the Lodge is the last we see of the real Dale Cooper.

I know hes meant to be showing the effects of been trapped in this other realm for 25 years but to take up half or it could be more of this 18 hours to show that hes mind is damaged. of which could be the last ever of any new Twin Peaks we get is an odd story choice.

But maybe David or Mark always wanted it to be this way of not actually showing the real Dale Cooper for most of the story but they could have got to the point also by just saying on the screen like 2 weeks later or however long instead of useing up this amount of screen time/hours of not showing this great character we all want to see.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

thedarktrees wrote:So interesting to take stock of the trailer footage up to this point. I really want to know what the weird stairs scene is all about. Also, maybe some all the trailer footage so far is from the first half of the series, and some new promo drops during the break before the second half...?

Also: in that close up shot of Coop in the one trailer, he's got his FBI pin back on! So....
Remember when a lot of people were thinking they thought after the series started there would be more promotion/trailers likely using footage already aired? I guess that didn't happen. I doubt there will be any more teasers.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

At the end of season two... Well, the final end of season two when it was burned off in June and we all basically knew it wasn't getting picked up in the fall... Even then, the rational part of me thought in a dream scenario where it came back, what the hell can you do? Once Cooper became Bob (yes, I know... Doppelgänger as it turns out) what can you possibly do once Cooper triumphs over it? The stakes had been raised that anything after that would seem like a postscript. Peaks was about showing the eternal struggle within... And it certainly couldn't get higher than Coop's situation.

And the same thing holds true here twenty five years later. I think a brilliant stroke was by splitting him... So narratively you can potentially have Cooper physically tracking down his shadow self... It's still in some way internal, yet can still carry a weekly serial. But I can't imagine this battle will be squelched mid season... It's finale written all over it.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

I don't want to see "real" Dale Cooper again. It wouldn't fit. Albert has mellowed. Gordon is no longer large and in charge. Diane is showing the wear of life. Whatever Cooper we wind up with shouldn't be the idealistic, optimistic, high energy guy from the original series. Not sure how 25 years of lodge compares with 25 years of life, but he shouldn't be the same.
Last edited by BigEd on Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

BigEd wrote:I don't want to see "real" Dale Cooper again. It wouldn't fit. Albert has mellowed. Gordon is no longer large and in charge. Diane is showing the wear of life. Whatever Cooper we wind up with shouldn't be the idealistic, optimistic, high energy guy from the original series. Not sure now 25 years of lodge compares with 25 years of life, but he shouldn't be the same.
Yes. I said "real" in the same way that you're meaning here. Restored, no longer Dougie or infantile, but 25 years older, feeling the effects of his mistakes and a changed world.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

DirkG wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:
Panapaok wrote:Agreed. It's done on purpose to serve the progression of the story. My guess is that the Mitchum brothers will see this.
I hope we see Candie again too. Amy Shiels was supposed to be in every episode! Man, somebody got that one way wrong.
The only false rumor that scared me was that Ray Wise was going to be in every episode. Boy, I'm glad that one was wrong.
Where is James? I thought he played a significant role too?
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

The Brown Lodge wrote:
djsunyc wrote:i have a feeling dougiecoop is going to be dougiecoop until the very final episode.
end of next episode. theres a 2 week cliffhanger. perfect time to do it.

next episode will tie up the stuff in vegas and maybe also south dakota.

after the break, it will be like a season 2 of the season 3.
I would put money on only one more episode of full DougieCoop. Cliffhanger being Gordon and Albert, are on to him, and about to meet him. I hae no real idea, but everything is heading to a reveal soon. Keys, pages, Diane, and now some TV exposure. Someone will see him, he is even in his black suit for the occassion. ;)
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

BigEd wrote:Albert has mellowed.
I'm not so sure about that, but let's gauge him again during his next encounter with Andy...!
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Audrey Horne wrote:Maybe the stairwell climb is in his "house", the same dwelling he started the season with the Giant/????

Maybe if Cooper defeats hus shadow self, he also reverses the DNA of his possible son, Richard?
I have always thought that was the stairs from the Palmer House. Never given it a thought it was elsewhere.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
BigEd wrote:Albert has mellowed.
I'm not so sure about that, but let's gauge him again during his next encounter with Andy...!
Fair enough! :D He's still a bit course, but maybe not as quick at it as "classic Albert." (I miss classic Albert)
Pölkkyrouva
Roadhouse Member

Post by Pölkkyrouva »

The Brown Lodge wrote:
djsunyc wrote:i have a feeling dougiecoop is going to be dougiecoop until the very final episode.
end of next episode. theres a 2 week cliffhanger. perfect time to do it.

next episode will tie up the stuff in vegas and maybe also south dakota.

after the break, it will be like a season 2 of the season 3.
As much as I love our old agent Cooper, I would be a bit dissapointed if this is so. I think it's too soon to end Dougiecoop-storyline in a satisfying way. It's the heart and the soul of The Return, I think, and we're gonna spend quite some time with Dougiecoop. I'm not sure we necessarily see "real Coop" (whatever that means) at all.

And it's good bear in mind that Lynch & Frost didn't design this as a tv-series and the structure has been quite unconventional so far. So I doubt we are going to get a huge cliffhanger before the two-week hiatus. It's just going to be a bit longer pause in the middle of the film.
Let a smile be your umbrella. — FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole
kuprin82

Post by kuprin82 »

Here, I made screenshots!
43 phases. Drew changes to portholes
Attachments
Pvi9RGLvRfw.jpg
Pvi9RGLvRfw.jpg (902.96 KiB) Viewed 10232 times
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:
thedarktrees wrote:So interesting to take stock of the trailer footage up to this point. I really want to know what the weird stairs scene is all about. Also, maybe some all the trailer footage so far is from the first half of the series, and some new promo drops during the break before the second half...?

Also: in that close up shot of Coop in the one trailer, he's got his FBI pin back on! So....
Remember when a lot of people were thinking they thought after the series started there would be more promotion/trailers likely using footage already aired? I guess that didn't happen. I doubt there will be any more teasers.
Yep, I'm ono of those surprised they haven't made a new trailer. Maybe Lynch is aware that there are places like Japan where the series still hasn't aired, and he does not want to spoil it for them. Or for anyone I guess who still hasn't seen the series.

Or at this point, Showtime might think it is moot anyway, any new audience will be by word of mouth.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

ThumbsUp wrote:
micpoc wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:monitor rising up out of the desk was ridiculous
You mean ridiculously amazing, right?
Yeah, I actually loved that. I thought it totally fit with the quirky vibe the TP sheriff's station is known for.

Probably said already but the monitor in the desk is surely there to keep Lucy from seeing it.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
krzhuva

Post by krzhuva »

Deep Thought wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
micpoc wrote: You mean ridiculously amazing, right?
Yeah, I actually loved that. I thought it totally fit with the quirky vibe the TP sheriff's station is known for.

Probably said already but the monitor in the desk is surely there to keep Lucy from seeing it.
Lucy's fine with monitors. She has one on her desk. It's just the cellphones that are confusing.