Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BigEd
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by BigEd »

Leacock wrote:
Normonaut wrote:I seriously doubt NewHorne is the child of BadCoop and Audrey. That would mean he went straight to the hospital and pretty much violated a girl that just barely survived an explosion. The only real candidate for NewHorne's father, IMO, is "John Justice Wheeler". She'd have to get pregnant pretty late in S2 or early after it.

I just don't like the idea of anyone walking into a hospital and taking advantage of anyone that way.
At first I doubted it, but now.

What's the most important thing to remember about EvilCoop? He doesn't have needs, he has wants. I could see him go to the hospital to check on (or deal with) Annie, spot a wounded Audrey there, and well, he still has the same wants that Cooper always had, but no inhibitions.
Twin Peaks Season 1, Episode 7:
Coop enters his room and finds Audrey naked in his bed.
Audrey: "So do you want me to leave or what?"
Coop: "What I want and what I need are two different things, Audrey"

I for one believe that the S3 wants/needs lines tie directly back to this scene. His (somewhat shocking) season one response suggested that he wanted her to stay, but needed her to leave. If Dark evil Coop is operating as if he can ignore needs, well, draw your own conclusions....

http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk ... ode=s01e07
Last edited by BigEd on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

It may not mean anything but I posted a pic of Audrey and Richard on Twitter and then Debbie Zoller (Head make-up artist on the show) posted this:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 10.34.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 10.34.23 PM.png (56.55 KiB) Viewed 10115 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Jerry Horne wrote:It may not mean anything but I posted a pic of Audrey and Richard on Twitter and then Debbie Zoller (Head make-up artist on the show) posted this:
That'd be screwed up if she spoils it!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

kitty666cats wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:It may not mean anything but I posted a pic of Audrey and Richard on Twitter and then Debbie Zoller (Head make-up artist on the show) posted this:
That'd be screwed up if she spoils it!
True, but his identity probably isn't going to be a long drawn-out secret either. If he is Audrey's son (and that tweet isn't a 100% guarantee) I'd imagine that they'd spend some time showing her struggling with that fact.

Then again, maybe she just liked the picture Jerry posted, with them posed in a similar manner. Audrey could be his aunt or cousin or something. He could even be Donna's kid, since her father was (apparently) Ben Horne. :!:

Either way, that is a pretty intriguing response.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Major Briggs wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Do we have proof Cooper left town right away? Or did he just disappear?
Somewhere in TSHOTP I remember someone quoting that he "left town", in those words

"A few days after my dad died, my mom told me that Cooper had come by the house and talked to my dad, and I guess Cooper left town pretty soon after that." -Bobby, 3x4

In the dossier, Briggs just says he meets with Cooper when he's recovered - the dossier does not say it was the same day- and something isn't right, that he misinterpreted the dream about Cooper replacing Milford as his ally/control, and proceeds with the mayday protocols he initiated when he learned Cooper went missing in Glastonbury. The meeting was March 28 1989 the previous entry is not dated.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I'm sure Ben nor Jerry have ever smoked.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

OrsonWelles wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:So Mr. C convinces Audrey he is the good Coop and they have two children together, Richard and Linda?
Well, Richard Horne and Linda X link seems "logic". Instead of Sonny Jim, Linda might be the daughter of Good Coop and Richard the son of Bad Coop? The idea kind of reminds me of Carnivale, for those who have seen the show.
Yes! I like your idea, but I don't think it will turn out that way.
And if it would be like Carnivàle, shouldn't Richard (who's obviously a bad guy) be the son of Good Coop? (off topic: In Carnivàle Ben also was the son of Scudder, who was the bad guy and Brother Justin was the son of Beljakov who was a good guy. If I remember correctly. Great, now I want to see Carnivàle again :))
"Your log and I are on the same page."
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

MoondogJR wrote:
OrsonWelles wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:So Mr. C convinces Audrey he is the good Coop and they have two children together, Richard and Linda?
Well, Richard Horne and Linda X link seems "logic". Instead of Sonny Jim, Linda might be the daughter of Good Coop and Richard the son of Bad Coop? The idea kind of reminds me of Carnivale, for those who have seen the show.
Yes! I like your idea, but I don't think it will turn out that way.
And if it would be like Carnivàle, shouldn't Richard (who's obviously a bad guy) be the son of Good Coop? (off topic: In Carnivàle Ben also was the son of Scudder, who was the bad guy and Brother Justin was the son of Beljakov who was a good guy. If I remember correctly. Great, now I want to see Carnivàle again :))
You're right! Though if I recall correctly that was part of some prophecy, no? I really need to see Carnivale again as well.
Anyway, I do assume if my little theory is correct, which it probably isn't, that the good Dale wouldn't have a wacko son, but you never know. I can see Bad Coop sleeping with Audrey, but I don't know who would be the mother of Good's Coop child. Or to make things totally nuts, perhaps Richard is Audrey and Good Coop's son and Linda Bad Coop's and Annie's daughter. Wouldn't that be something?
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Jasper wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:So, are we witnessing Alchemy in action?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysopoeia
I don’t know. Seems like we might be. Alchemy has come up before in some of our more far-out discussions.

For a while now I’ve been on board with bluefrank’s idea about the green formica table being inspired by or otherwise related to the emerald tablet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Tablet

In the European tradition the emerald tablet is the foundational piece of writing for the art of alchemy. It’s associated with the creation of the philosopher’s stone (which we interpret as mirroring the green formica table’s relation to the creation of the green ring).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher's_stone

To this I added my own observation that the lodge denizens take something base (pain, sorrow) and transform it into gold(en corn). In fact, they’ve got loads of garmonbozia sitting on the green formica table in the above-the-convenience-store scene.

One bit relating the tablet to a green table:
“C.G. Jung identified The Emerald Tablet with a table made of green stone which he encountered in the first of a set of his dreams and visions beginning at the end of 1912, and climaxing in his writing Seven Sermons to the Dead in 1916.”
Interesting properties of the Philosopher’s Stone:
“The most commonly mentioned properties are the ability to transmute base metals into gold or silver, and the ability to heal all forms of illness and prolong the life of any person who consumes a small part of the philosopher's stone. Other mentioned properties include: creation of perpetually burning lamps, transmutation of common crystals into precious stones and diamonds, reviving of dead plants, creation of flexible or malleable glass, or the creation of a clone or homunculus.
We’re already aware of the Dougie clone, and Dougie is wearing the ring when we meet him. A homunculus “has historically referred to the creation of a miniature, fully formed human.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homunculus

There’s also some interesting stuff about colors associated with alchemy and the Philosopher’s Stone:
“The philosopher's stone is created by the alchemical method known as The Magnum Opus or The Great Work. Often expressed as a series of color changes or chemical processes, the instructions for creating the philosopher's stone are varied. When expressed in colors, the work may pass through phases of nigredo [black], albedo [white], citrinitas [yellow], and rubedo [red].”
So there we have the black and white floor, the yellow garmonbozia, and the red curtains. The Emerald Tablet completes things by giving us the green of the ring and the formica table (“our world”) from which it is created.

Finally, I’ll add a quote from the text of the Emerald Tablet which may remind us of words spoken at the green formica table.

The Emerald Tablet:
“This ascends from the earth into the sky and again descends from the sky to the earth, and receives the power and efficacy of things above and of things below.”

MFAP at the green formica table:
“From pure air. We have descended from pure air. Going up and down. Intercourse between the two worlds”

I’m certainly not saying that all (or even ANY) of these ideas are necessarily directly related to the ideas behind some familiar concepts in the world of Twin Peaks. I’m only pointing out some very interesting parallels, which at least provide food for thought.
Amazing post, I never knew any of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:At least cocaine is still the designer drug of choice for the youths. TP is still stuck in the '80s in that respect, at the very least. :lol:
It's not cocaine. It's, as Frank says, "Chinese designer drugs." Just being a snortable white powder doesn't make it cocaine.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I don't see it as trolling. DKL, like the late Robert Altman, takes pleasure in the "in-between" moments, scenes and characters that may exist on the periphery of the plot but are important to mood, or just plain fun or human moments. My favorite bits in W@H are the little incongruous cameos by Freddie Jones, Jack Nance, etc. The movie could easily exist without them, but it wouldn't be nearly as good. Painting on a much larger canvas allows DKL to indulge this style even further on TP:TR There will undeniably be an element of "shaggy dog story" to parts of this epic, and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Amen! I love the Altman comparison--even with their radically different aesthetics, I think on a soul-level Lynch and Altman have an awful lot in common.

Although...
Wonderful & Strange wrote:Jacoby's rants aren't disconnected from our story, however. Currently they're expanding thematically the key problem -- this is a world gone to ****.

There's intentional irony here too: Jacoby and others sense something's corrupt in the world, but they blame it on material-political causes when Lynch-Frost suggest it is fundamentally a spiritual problem, but the metaphysics are so strange your average Joe and Jane could never even begin to guess the truth.
This is also totally true.

I don't think the two observations are at odds, though, because the "in-between" grace notes in Lynch's past work (and in Altman's work) tend to be thematically resonant with the greater whole of a given piece in one way or another.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Jerry Horne wrote:Search your feelings Luke, you know it to be true!
I'm all in for Richard being Audrey's daughter but not sure I agree with the DoppleCoop is the father theory at all.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
AmyCringeneck

Post by AmyCringeneck »

KyleRickards wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:So, are we witnessing Alchemy in action?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysopoeia
I don’t know. Seems like we might be. Alchemy has come up before in some of our more far-out discussions.

For a while now I’ve been on board with bluefrank’s idea about the green formica table being inspired by or otherwise related to the emerald tablet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Tablet

In the European tradition the emerald tablet is the foundational piece of writing for the art of alchemy. It’s associated with the creation of the philosopher’s stone (which we interpret as mirroring the green formica table’s relation to the creation of the green ring).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher's_stone

To this I added my own observation that the lodge denizens take something base (pain, sorrow) and transform it into gold(en corn). In fact, they’ve got loads of garmonbozia sitting on the green formica table in the above-the-convenience-store scene.

One bit relating the tablet to a green table:
“C.G. Jung identified The Emerald Tablet with a table made of green stone which he encountered in the first of a set of his dreams and visions beginning at the end of 1912, and climaxing in his writing Seven Sermons to the Dead in 1916.”
Interesting properties of the Philosopher’s Stone:
“The most commonly mentioned properties are the ability to transmute base metals into gold or silver, and the ability to heal all forms of illness and prolong the life of any person who consumes a small part of the philosopher's stone. Other mentioned properties include: creation of perpetually burning lamps, transmutation of common crystals into precious stones and diamonds, reviving of dead plants, creation of flexible or malleable glass, or the creation of a clone or homunculus.
We’re already aware of the Dougie clone, and Dougie is wearing the ring when we meet him. A homunculus “has historically referred to the creation of a miniature, fully formed human.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homunculus

There’s also some interesting stuff about colors associated with alchemy and the Philosopher’s Stone:
“The philosopher's stone is created by the alchemical method known as The Magnum Opus or The Great Work. Often expressed as a series of color changes or chemical processes, the instructions for creating the philosopher's stone are varied. When expressed in colors, the work may pass through phases of nigredo [black], albedo [white], citrinitas [yellow], and rubedo [red].”
So there we have the black and white floor, the yellow garmonbozia, and the red curtains. The Emerald Tablet completes things by giving us the green of the ring and the formica table (“our world”) from which it is created.

Finally, I’ll add a quote from the text of the Emerald Tablet which may remind us of words spoken at the green formica table.

The Emerald Tablet:
“This ascends from the earth into the sky and again descends from the sky to the earth, and receives the power and efficacy of things above and of things below.”

MFAP at the green formica table:
“From pure air. We have descended from pure air. Going up and down. Intercourse between the two worlds”

I’m certainly not saying that all (or even ANY) of these ideas are necessarily directly related to the ideas behind some familiar concepts in the world of Twin Peaks. I’m only pointing out some very interesting parallels, which at least provide food for thought.
Amazing post, I never knew any of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OMG is this how Harry will be saved?!
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Major Briggs wrote:"Oh hey, I'm an evil doppelgänger, I just killed one of two persons who knows about me and now I'll leave town, but first I will make a pitstop at the hospital to impregnate this young girl who's in a coma"
Agree. Audrey is just wrong. I think Jerry has a son, or a distant Horne relative.

After Franks phone call, I am getting a strange feeling that we will see Harry before this season is out. :)
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

So "we" went from a yellow submarine into the mud ; - )

Code: Select all

It's seven o'clock. 
Do you know where your freedom is? Coming to you live and electrified from studio A, high atop the escarpments of White Tail Peak, the roof... ruff, ruff... of the American Hindu Kush, this is Dr. Amp doing the vamp for liberty, climbing the ramp to justice, and lighting the lamp of freedom. So... what's on your mind tonight? I mean, you know I'm gonna tell you what's on mine. We're sinking down deep in the mud, and the fucks are at it again! The same vast global corporate conspiracy. Different day. You can't see it without a cosmic flashlight. Guess what. I've got one. Oh, yeah. And its beam, it penetrates the igneous rock of ignorance. It flips that rock over, and there they are, exposed, wriggling, squirming, crawling on their bellies like foul maggots, frantically racing back to the cover of darkness that they so crave. We're coming for you. Yeah, we're coming for you. Let's just see what they're cooking up today. I know what I'll be cooking up. Know the ingredients. Just read what's on the box. In fact, read between the lines.What's lurking in that... that toaster waffle, those muffins... that frozen children's treat? Poison! Deadly poisons. That's what's there. And what's waiting for you? Cancer! Leukemia! Autoimmune disorders! Pulmonary embolism! Warts! Psoriasis, eczema! Cardiac arrest!
Where are the cops when we need them?
Anorexia, body-image bullshit, microbial toxins, bacterial toxins, environmental toxins! Our air, our water, our earth. The very soil itself! Our food. Our bodies poisoned! Poisoned! Ahh. 
That's... huckleberry extract in clean, boiled water from the pure, artesian springs of White Tail Peak. Yeah.
Fuck that açaí berry shit from the Amazon.
In the immortal words of Pete Seeger,
if I had a hammer... Guess what. I've got a hammer. You must see, hear, understand, and act.
Act now. Friends, we all live in the mud. In the shit!
Shovel your way out of the shit.
This is your shiny, gold shovel.
Two coats, guaranteed.
Shovel your way out of the shit and into the truth.
Dig yourself out of the shit... $29.99. That's right. Only $29.99 plus shipping.
Accept no substitute. Get yours now.
Where's the walrus? I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, Goo goo g'joob.
Don't ya wish yer brain was dead too?

Oo I love how X played Y and think Z had sex with the whole alphabet as well. BTW Coop, the bad one, manipulated his own fingerprints into Briggs's. 16 cases in 25 years. That's a double se7en. 430 another one. Lucky7Insurance. There ye go.
But the four (-ten) is absent, so far.

Meanwhile Coop, the good one, remains caught in Dougie's dog's live. How much shit can "w/he" stand? Coffee didn't help, "call for help" didn't help, "file cases" didn't help, "agent" didn't help, ... What's next? The key will be the key, of course.

Love, love, love, love is all we need. Will it await him between millions of millions of douglas firs?

[sigh]