Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Post by HagbardCeline »

Did anyone see that Showtime posted "part 2" on Facebook for everyone to see? They started it right at the beginning of the scene where Hastings is in his jail cell with this hands on his head and his wife comes in. It's also interesting that they've bleeped out the profanity and covered up some of the blood and nudity with a black box.

Edit to add: I see a page back people did notice, ha ha. The most interesting part to me was figuring out where the dividing line was between the two parts, which we had speculated about here.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

I think I spotted not one, but two broom sticks in the room with Otis. Recurring theme in DL films (porch of Theresa Bank's trailer in FWWM, behind Winkies, etc.)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

HagbardCeline wrote:Did anyone see that Showtime posted "part 2" on Facebook for everyone to see? They started it right at the beginning of the scene where Hastings is in his jail cell with this hands on his head and his wife comes in. It's also interesting that they've bleeped out the profanity and covered up some of the blood and nudity with a black box.

Edit to add: I see a page back people did notice, ha ha. The most interesting part to me was figuring out where the dividing line was between the two parts, which we had speculated about here.
They're separated on the regular Showtime streaming site with the non-censored versions! It's the only way I've ever seen them. I'm actually curious to see the two-hour version, if anyone knows of a way to legally view it online?
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Ubermensch33 wrote:
garethw wrote:I'm enjoying my third ride through this mystery, and almost everything that rubbed me the wrong way on first viewing has fallen away, and works for me now.

But one exception:

The whole sequence at the Roadhouse is *visually* out of place with everything else in the show. It starts at the shot of The Bang Bang Bar, and carries on to the end of the ep. I like the whole content, but it looks like a completely different production. It's very flat, and very "video-ey", and seemingly unlike anythimg else in the show.

Anyone else get that? It has jolted me all 3 times I've seen it. I notice it more each time.
I'm starting to get the feeling that we're playing with nostalgia quite a bit. This was a very nostalgic scene and an emotional (for me) way to end the first two parts. There are two more very obvious pieces of (has to be intentional) nostalgia in the 3rd and 4th parts
Spoiler:
when Bobby sees the picture of Laura, and the Badalamenti music plays LOUDLY, and also when apparently Wally has come home in order to tell his parents they can do what they wish with his childhood bedroom

Maybe there's no overarching intent here and the "old Twin Peaks" stuff is going to be nostalgic no matter how it's presented, but that was my first thought and I heard a couple podcasters echo that sentiment. I guess we'll see!
It's not the nostalgia that I find jarring. It's that it has a completely different visual aesthetic.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
HagbardCeline wrote:Did anyone see that Showtime posted "part 2" on Facebook for everyone to see? They started it right at the beginning of the scene where Hastings is in his jail cell with this hands on his head and his wife comes in. It's also interesting that they've bleeped out the profanity and covered up some of the blood and nudity with a black box.

They're separated on the regular Showtime streaming site with the non-censored versions! It's the only way I've ever seen them. I'm actually curious to see the two-hour version, if anyone knows of a way to legally view it online?
I've seen both versions and it worked better for me split into two episodes.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Hockey Mask wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:

I've seen both versions and it worked better for me split into two episodes.
I think I also prefer it broken up, but I'm curious how Part 1 transitions into 2. Does the pan-in on the gramophone play out sans credits, or is that dropped (or abbreviated?). How does the Giant scene transition to Bill in jail? Just a cut?

(In concept, I like the idea of the two parts together in keeping with the tradition of outsized TP premieres, but I like the "Giant" scenes bookending Part 1.)
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think I also prefer it broken up, but I'm curious how Part 1 transitions into 2. Does the pan-in on the gramophone play out sans credits, or is that dropped (or abbreviated?). How does the Giant scene transition to Bill in jail? Just a cut?

(In concept, I like the idea of the two parts together in keeping with the tradition of outsized TP premieres, but I like the "Giant" scenes bookending Part 1.)
No giant sequence at all. It's just a hard cut from the trunk to Bill running his fingers over his head. In fact, there's a sound bridge between the scene with the meat in the trunk and Bill in his cell--that low rumble fades in during the shot of the trunk, continues over the cut, and then cuts out when Bill hears Phyllis and Dave coming in. It creates a nice sonic connection between the discovery in the trunk and Bill's state of mind.

I think it's obvious that this is how Lynch intended it--plus the fact that the Giant is the only credits sequence set outside the Roadhouse. I really wish the 2 hour cut was available streaming. I'd bet that's how it will be on the eventual blu-ray.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

counterpaul wrote:No giant sequence at all. It's just a hard cut from the trunk to Bill running his fingers over his head. In fact, there's a sound bridge between the scene with the meat in the trunk and Bill in his cell--that low rumble fades in during the shot of the trunk, continues over the cut, and then cuts out when Bill hears Phyllis and Dave coming in. It creates a nice sonic connection between the discovery in the trunk and Bill's state of mind.

I think it's obvious that this is how Lynch intended it--plus the fact that the Giant is the only credits sequence set outside the Roadhouse. I really wish the 2 hour cut was available streaming. I'd bet that's how it will be on the eventual blu-ray.
Hmm based on your description, I do like that. The ending of Part 1 with the trunk is rather abrupt, and I can definitely see that transition working better. But I would miss the rather eerie scene of "???????" sitting along listening to the gramophone, and I also like the fact that the credits roll over a non-song (a device that is made to play music but isn't). It struck me as a rather perfect ending to Part 1, even if the cut from the trunk scene was a jarring/anticlimactic closing scene.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
counterpaul wrote:No giant sequence at all. It's just a hard cut from the trunk to Bill running his fingers over his head. In fact, there's a sound bridge between the scene with the meat in the trunk and Bill in his cell--that low rumble fades in during the shot of the trunk, continues over the cut, and then cuts out when Bill hears Phyllis and Dave coming in. It creates a nice sonic connection between the discovery in the trunk and Bill's state of mind.

Hmm based on your description, I do like that. The ending of Part 1 with the trunk is rather abrupt, and I can definitely see that transition working better. But I would miss the rather eerie scene of "???????" sitting along listening to the gramophone, and I also like the fact that the credits roll over a non-song (a device that is made to play music but isn't). It struck me as a rather perfect ending to Part 1, even if the cut from the trunk scene was a jarring/anticlimactic closing scene.
I've watched it both ways and I definitely think it's better as a seamless two hour thing. You don't notice the seam, obviously, and it seems to be how Lynch/Frost prefer it.
sackboy97
Roadhouse Member

Post by sackboy97 »

LateReg wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:

I've watched it both ways and I definitely think it's better as a seamless two hour thing. You don't notice the seam, obviously, and it seems to be how Lynch/Frost prefer it.
I believe having the scene at the Roadhouse at the end of Part 2 shows that 1&2 were intended from the start to be seen as one part.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

James was never my favorite character in the original series or FWWM but there was something about his brief appearance that I found very sad, and suddenly I feel empathy for him. Here's a guy in his 40's who walks into a bar with a big smile on his face, and the smile drops when he sees a woman who apparently doesn't think much of him. It almost seems like his experiences with Laura, Donna and she who shall not be named left him somewhat stunted in his ability to form new relationships with women.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Max Perlich's cameo kinda slipped under the radar but I thought he was absolutely hilarious. "Harvey you son of a bitch!" :lol:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Panapaok wrote:Max Perlich's cameo kinda slipped under the radar but I thought he was absolutely hilarious. "Harvey you son of a bitch!" :lol:
Good stuff! Seems like someone always has baggage, and Hank thought the P.D. was coming after him. "Am I free to go?"
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

CHIP AIN'T GOT NO PHONE
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

When Bad Coop is on the bed with Daria I think I heard another reversed word. I could be wrong but it sounds like it to me.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM