Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
Esselgee wrote:How did Will and Eileen Hayward end up with a daughter who turned out like Gersten?
She certainly saw her older sister go through some pretty crazy stuff, even if she wasn't directly involved in it. And I'm sure that the aftermath of the revelation about Ben and Will assaulting him was tough on all of the Haywards.

I suppose one thing that's been consistent but sometimes brutally bleak about this series is how things really haven't worked out too well for many of the town's residents. In the original series, Twin Peaks was an oddly endearing town despite its dark side, between the good intentions of many of the characters and some of the more benign weirdness. And even for the characters who were going through some rough times, there was reason to hope that things might get better for them. Now it just seems like a grim, depressing place full of broken, confused, and angry people. The crude truck driver harassing Sarah Palmer, Richard's behavior at the Roadhouse, Becky and Steven fighting right within Carl's earshot, the way the two guys literally just pulled that girl out of her seat - that's the kind of stuff that happened more behind closed doors in the original series.

The only town-based characters who really seem OK with their stations in life are the ones whose own eccentricities probably shield them, for better or worse, from being too deeply affected by what's happening around them - Andy, Lucy, Nadine, and maybe in his own way Jacoby - and perhaps Hawk, about whom it's hard to tell just because he's so stoic.
It's like revisiting a place you have so much nostalgia for, and find out that place just isn't the same anymore. Everything hidden under the surface has been bubbling up to the top. There's nostalgia in that too, good places that've come and gone, and I feel that to be one of the main points of these new episodes.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Janey-E is not a good wife. She didn't Dougie-proof all the electrical sockets in her house. She should know better since her husband has had the IQ of 2 year old for awhile now.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

BMS242 wrote:Charlie's use of the word threshold for the door stuck out to me.
Yup, same here.
JohnPalSki wrote:Did anyone else get the feeling that the Cooper in the scene from FWWM with Jeffries, Cole, and Albert.... that that may have been the Bad Coop??...
Anything is possible, but I've always taken Jeffries' reaction to Cooper in FWWM as relating to the screwy time within the lodges, and I'm still feeling that way.
Deep Thought wrote:
frompureair wrote:That line from Jeffries has got me nervous..."you ARE Cooper" :? Also remember the Jeffries who called him said he wanted to be with Bob again!
He is Cooper, no doubt.
He's a real part of Cooper, and always has been. It's just that this part of Cooper isn't supposed to be out and in control (there is only supposed to be one physical Cooper body at a time). Mr. C is supposed to be deep in Cooper's unconscious, AKA the lodge (or red room or whatever we're going to end up calling the place of red curtains and chevron floor).
Jadegive2rides

Post by Jadegive2rides »

blue_tomorrows wrote:
misterroundheels wrote:
blue_tomorrows wrote:
As much as I've come around to loving this show, that's the kind of stuff that drives me up the flippin' wall. Seriously, who WRITES shit like that???
David Lynch and Mark Frost
I know, I know...it was a rhetorical question lol.

I think they are both absolutely first-rate writers for the most part, but unmotivated garbage like that makes me pause sometimes.
Just because it's garbage language, doesn't make it garbage writing. Look at whose mouth it came from. Steven is a junkie and we know it. I giggle anytime something catches me off guard in the new season like this. As viewers, we're seemingly okay with all the murder, rape, and violence in the show, but a lowly character can't say "c***"?
Call for help
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Any idea on the screaming girl?

RIP Log Lady, may the heavens embrace you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vawriter

Post by vawriter »

Voltaire wrote:
BGate wrote:I had resigned myself that we were never gonna learn about Judy. Amazing.

So, who IS Judy?
So I think Judy is Garland Briggs. He's met Cooper before and maybe that was a code name they had for him. Judy Garland.
This makes so much sense!
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

vawriter wrote:
Voltaire wrote:
BGate wrote:I had resigned myself that we were never gonna learn about Judy. Amazing.

So, who IS Judy?
So I think Judy is Garland Briggs. He's met Cooper before and maybe that was a code name they had for him. Judy Garland.
Sold. The Garland thing is way too intentional.
blue_tomorrows
Roadhouse Member

Post by blue_tomorrows »

Jadegive2rides wrote:
blue_tomorrows wrote:
misterroundheels wrote: David Lynch and Mark Frost

I think they are both absolutely first-rate writers for the most part, but unmotivated garbage like that makes me pause sometimes.
Just because it's garbage language, doesn't make it garbage writing. Look at whose mouth it came from. Steven is a junkie and we know it. I giggle anytime something catches me off guard in the new season like this. As viewers, we're seemingly okay with all the murder, rape, and violence in the show, but a lowly character can't say "c***"?
Oh, believe me...I'm no puritan when it comes to language! On reflection, I think what bugs me about it most is that I've been given no reason on Earth to care about this character in even the slightest way. From my perspective, he comes off as a silly stereotype of a crazed junkie. Given that, the dialogue seems gratuitous and forced. Even the infamous "You're wet" line from Mr. C had more context than this.

It's not THAT big of a deal, honestly -- quite frankly, I disliked everything about that scene even before I knew a word of the dialogue! (I hasten to add that, aside from that, I thought this was an excellent hour, one of the best!)
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

The Sarah + Jumping Man image = WOW. Damn.

Also, the way the Jumping Man and Pierre removed their masks is the same way Laura and Sarah remove their faces (the "hinges" is on the right sides of their faces).

For the motel, does that mean that the Black Lodge is straight up a parallel universe? Who was the woman with the keys?
blue_tomorrows
Roadhouse Member

Post by blue_tomorrows »

ThumbsUp wrote:
vawriter wrote:
Voltaire wrote:
My only hangup about this theory is that the desk clerk at the hotel in TMP refers to Judy as "the young lady" to Jeffries. Maybe I'm being too literal, but confusing the good Major with a young lady doesn't seem likely!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Is anyone still trying to parse the specifics of the Jeffries scene?

Is it me, or did this Jeffries seem unaware of which Cooper he was talking to? Or was he toying with him? It's clear this is not the person he spoke to in Part 2. Possibly also not the Jeffries who put out a hit.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

blue_tomorrows wrote:
Jadegive2rides wrote:
blue_tomorrows wrote:

Oh, believe me...I'm no puritan when it comes to language! On reflection, I think what bugs me about it most is that I've been given no reason on Earth to care about this character in even the slightest way. From my perspective, he comes off as a silly stereotype of a crazed junkie. Given that, the dialogue seems gratuitous and forced. Even the infamous "You're wet" line from Mr. C had more context than this.

It's not THAT big of a deal, honestly -- quite frankly, I disliked everything about that scene even before I knew a word of the dialogue! (I hasten to add that, aside from that, I thought this was an excellent hour, one of the best!)
Totally agree, I wasn't initially a fan of the scene (when I couldn't understand a word of it), but the transcript above doesn't help. We know the woods are evil, we know the kids are on drugs, etc... It wasn't about the offensive language as much as not adding anything to the stew.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

ThumbsUp wrote:For the motel, does that mean that the Black Lodge is straight up a parallel universe? Who was the woman with the keys?
I see it as an outpost in the human world. Not the Black Lodge mind you - but the room above the convenience store. The convenience store itself is the human world as we know it. They are here.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

blue_tomorrows wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
vawriter wrote:
My only hangup about this theory is that the desk clerk at the hotel in TMP refers to Judy as "the young lady" to Jeffries. Maybe I'm being too literal, but confusing the good Major with a young lady doesn't seem likely!
Oh yeah, damn. Hm. But would that mean that Coop could have met a woman who's been to Buenos Aires?
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Also, Naido making monkey sounds in the cell reminds me of the monkey in FWWM and "Judy." Why make monkey sounds of all noises?