Do you think FWWM is closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Do you think FWWM is closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return?

The Original Series.
36%
The Return.
29%
Neither.
14%
Both.
No votes
FWWM is closer to The Original Series, The Missing Pieces is closer to The Return.
21%
Other answer (comment below).
No votes

Total votes: 14
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I know it's very much it's own thing, but do you feel it's closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return? I can see an argument for both, but I think it feels closer to the original series (despite also being a major departure from it) especially if you add in The Missing Pieces. In many ways it does feel similar in tone to The Return too, and paves the way for it, but I think because it was filmed in 1992 it just feels closer to the original series.
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Do you think FWWM is closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

The Deer Meadow stuff in FWWM is def. meant to be inverse of TP series town - unhelpful/corrupt local police, not welcoming, coffee that was fresh about two days ago, victim nobody cared much about unlike the tremendous outpour of grief around Laura, a lot of negativity, cynicism in the air, and a lot of poverty.

I would say that some of the conversations in The Return in the Roadhouse are FWWM/Deer Meadow esque, impoverished people who seem to be suffering a bit, and Chad the cop is very Deer Meadow, Richard the hell spawn. I sorta chalk that up to evil Cooper's negativity spreading in the world.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Do you think FWWM is closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return?

Post by Jonah »

Though I think it is, I'm still a bit surprised to see so many voting that it's closer to the original series - I thought more people would group it with The Return. It's funny how, as time has moved on, the movie feels closer to the original series whereas it polarized a lot of fans of the series on release. I wonder if it's just the timeframe (1992 vs 1990/1991) that makes people group it closer.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:31 pm I know it's very much it's own thing, but do you feel it's closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return? I can see an argument for both, but I think it feels closer to the original series (despite also being a major departure from it) especially if you add in The Missing Pieces. In many ways it does feel similar in tone to The Return too, and paves the way for it, but I think because it was filmed in 1992 it just feels closer to the original series.
I didn't submit a vote because I really don't know, but as I mentioned before I think adding in the Missing Pieces, as in the fan edit, makes it seem more like The Return. The way it more loosely flows, the random check-ins with certain characters, etc.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Jonah wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:34 am I wonder if it's just the timeframe (1992 vs 1990/1991) that makes people group it closer.
I think it's the mood. "Fire..." was in many ways different - it was more serious, for one thing, more metaphysical even. There were no interruptions from background plots; it was all essence. But Twin Peaks has always been about mood, the dense, yet warm atmosphere. Even the colours in which it was shot, deep red, brown etc. And, of course, the music. And it all went together, creating a universe that had a distinct feeling - both the series and FWWM had that same feeling, whatever the dfferences.

The Return has nothing of the sort. It feels cold and unpleasant. If the mood gets paks-like for a moment, it quickly disappears. There's practically no music, either. "Old" Twin Peaks was compared to heaven, though including "arrson, multiple homicides and the attempt on the life of a federal agent". And yet, this feeling was there. Where is the heaven in The Return?
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

BOB1 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:19 am
Jonah wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:34 am I wonder if it's just the timeframe (1992 vs 1990/1991) that makes people group it closer.
I think it's the mood. "Fire..." was in many ways different - it was more serious, for one thing, more metaphysical even. There were no interruptions from background plots; it was all essence. But Twin Peaks has always been about mood, the dense, yet warm atmosphere. Even the colours in which it was shot, deep red, brown etc. And, of course, the music. And it all went together, creating a universe that had a distinct feeling - both the series and FWWM had that same feeling, whatever the dfferences.

The Return has nothing of the sort. It feels cold and unpleasant. If the mood gets paks-like for a moment, it quickly disappears. There's practically no music, either. "Old" Twin Peaks was compared to heaven, though including "arrson, multiple homicides and the attempt on the life of a federal agent". And yet, this feeling was there. Where is the heaven in The Return?
Not sure what you mean by 'compared to heaven'?

Twin Peaks the tv show was always dark, yet with light comedy on the side.

In that sense, The Return and the original series are very much alike, although the 'lightness' takes place in different ways.

Fire Walk With Me has very few light moments; what few there are occur in the first half hour. It is pretty brutal; I've always loved it but at the same time, it is a painful movie to get through because there is no relief from Laura's situation, right up until the end. I enjoy the artistry of FWWM, but I can only put myself through its content once in a very long while.

Because of the comedy, I can do many more rewatches of the original series and The Return.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

mtwentz wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:27 am

I presume the heaven comparison refers to the Cooper/Sternwood exchange. When Sternwood asks how Cooper finds Twin Peaks, Cooper replies 'Heaven' - to which Sternwood reminds him that this week heaven includes 'arrson, multiple homicides and the attempt on the life of a federal agent'.

As for the poll question... while very much its own thing, to me FWWM feels closer to the original series with The Missing Pieces feeling very much like a bridge to the Return (in particular, the slower pacing and fragmented nature - even if the latter was unintentional with the Missing Pieces and presumably intended with the Return).
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Henrys Hair wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:54 am

I presume the heaven comparison refers to the Cooper/Sternwood exchange. When Sternwood asks how Cooper finds Twin Peaks, Cooper replies 'Heaven' - to which Sternwood reminds him that this week heaven includes 'arrson, multiple homicides and the attempt on the life of a federal agent'.

As for the poll question... while very much its own thing, to me FWWM feels closer to the original series with The Missing Pieces feeling very much like a bridge to the Return (in particular, the slower pacing and fragmented nature - even if the latter was unintentional with the Missing Pieces and presumably intended with the Return).
I see your point but to me the tone of FWWM really sets it apart from both the original series and The Return.

All 3 have plenty of darkness; only one of them dispensed of the humor element (for completely legit reasons) and that was FWWM.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Yes, I meant the conversation wth Judge Sternwood, thank you.

mtwentz you're saying that Twin Peaks was always dark - yes, but the old series was DARK RED and DARK BROWN. The Return is DARK BLUE and or plainly dark-dark. Hence, one is warm dark and the other cold dark.

And for me, in The Return there is not one inch (should I say: one ounce?) of lightness. I'm not saying there are no funny moments - oh yes, I could name a lot of genuinely funny scenes. But - in my feeling - they stick out of the general tone; as they are, they are funny and all but they do nothing towards taking off the general heaviness (pardon my awkward phrasing).
What I mean is, in Mulholland Drive the guy who keeps calling ADAM KESHER! is funny, too (and there will be a couple of other moments), and perhaps the 1400 horsepower scene in Lost Highway is funny, too, but they do not, to any extent, make the whole movie funny.

Now, , it seems to me that we feel things differently here and there's not much we can do about it except just just listen to one another and accept the dfifferences :-)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

mtwentz wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:17 pm

I see your point but to me the tone of FWWM really sets it apart from both the original series and The Return.

All 3 have plenty of darkness; only one of them dispensed of the humor element (for completely legit reasons) and that was FWWM.
I see a lot of humor in FWWM. Granted, most of it is contained in the Deer Meadow chapter, but there's plenty sprinkled throughout the whole film. Just as one example, I find the drug deal in the woods to be an absolutely hilarious scene, dark as it is. I'm laughing along with whacked-out Laura at the absurdity of the whole thing. Maybe it all depends on how dark your sense of humor is (Lynch's is pretty damn dark, I think).

As to the OP question, I agree with you that FWWM is pretty distinct from both, so I don't even wanna vote. If the question was about The Missing Pieces, I'd put it closer to The Return. Before TR came out, I suspected, and I'm sure others did as well, that TMP would be the closest indication of the style and mood of the new show, and I was kinda right. Unsurprising I guess, since the editing of it and the writing process for TR might've even overlapped a little, and both productions were not at all far apart. It's like the first step into the newest iteration of Lynch's style.
I'll see you in the trees
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

As there were only two options in the poll, I added a few more options. Let me know if you want me to add more but think the options now cover most of the bases.

Edit - This is annoying but by adding new options it seems to have wiped the previous votes and everyone will need to vote again from scratch.

Here's what the original votes were before I added the new options:

12 votes (75%) for The Original Series.
4 votes (25%) for The Return.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Rainwater wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:04 am
mtwentz wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:17 pm

I see a lot of humor in FWWM. Granted, most of it is contained in the Deer Meadow chapter, but there's plenty sprinkled throughout the whole film. Just as one example, I find the drug deal in the woods to be an absolutely hilarious scene, dark as it is. I'm laughing along with whacked-out Laura at the absurdity of the whole thing. Maybe it all depends on how dark your sense of humor is (Lynch's is pretty damn dark, I think).
Agreed - it's definitely a dark humour, and it's used quite sparsely compared to the original series, but it's there. I went to see FWWM at the cinema when it was first release and remember there were definitely two scenes that got a noticeable laugh from the audience. Frustratingly I can't remember exactly which they were - 'That's not Mike. Is it Mike?' from the drug deal I think could well have been one of them & maybe one of the lines from Laura & Leland's exchange after the traffic jam ('Have I met him?' 'No you haven't met him. Have you met him?)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

the most likely laughs I can think of are Irene and her 'specials' as well as the 'sting of the 48 hour blend' comment by Chester Desmond.

Edit: and Albert shouting, 'Damn that narrows it down Coop...'
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

there's a lot of dark humor. the pink room scene is darkly comic, 'im as blank as a fart', the long slow pan of all the cigarette butts. the two truck driver guys, buck, and whoever the other one was, are cardboard joke characters.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

You find the long shot of the cigarette butts funny? Interesting, why so?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.