Do you think FWWM is closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return?

Moderators: Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross

Do you think FWWM is closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return?

The Original Series.
71%
The Return.
29%

Total votes: 14
Jonah
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jonah »

I know it's very much it's own thing, but do you feel it's closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return? I can see an argument for both, but I think it feels closer to the original series (despite also being a major departure from it) especially if you add in The Missing Pieces. In many ways it does feel similar in tone to The Return too, and paves the way for it, but I think because it was filmed in 1992 it just feels closer to the original series.
I don't always need television shows with red curtains in the woods or magic islands - but it helps!
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Do you think FWWM is closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

The Deer Meadow stuff in FWWM is def. meant to be inverse of TP series town - unhelpful/corrupt local police, not welcoming, coffee that was fresh about two days ago, victim nobody cared much about unlike the tremendous outpour of grief around Laura, a lot of negativity, cynicism in the air, and a lot of poverty.

I would say that some of the conversations in The Return in the Roadhouse are FWWM/Deer Meadow esque, impoverished people who seem to be suffering a bit, and Chad the cop is very Deer Meadow, Richard the hell spawn. I sorta chalk that up to evil Cooper's negativity spreading in the world.
Jonah
Bookhouse Member

Re: Do you think FWWM is closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return?

Post by Jonah »

Though I think it is, I'm still a bit surprised to see so many voting that it's closer to the original series - I thought more people would group it with The Return. It's funny how, as time has moved on, the movie feels closer to the original series whereas it polarized a lot of fans of the series on release. I wonder if it's just the timeframe (1992 vs 1990/1991) that makes people group it closer.
I don't always need television shows with red curtains in the woods or magic islands - but it helps!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:31 pm I know it's very much it's own thing, but do you feel it's closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return? I can see an argument for both, but I think it feels closer to the original series (despite also being a major departure from it) especially if you add in The Missing Pieces. In many ways it does feel similar in tone to The Return too, and paves the way for it, but I think because it was filmed in 1992 it just feels closer to the original series.
I didn't submit a vote because I really don't know, but as I mentioned before I think adding in the Missing Pieces, as in the fan edit, makes it seem more like The Return. The way it more loosely flows, the random check-ins with certain characters, etc.