the Missing Pieces

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: the Missing Pieces

Post by Histeria »

BOB1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:39 pm Only the words "I want to taste through your mouth" are in the original, is that right?
You may be right. Oddly, I don't remember despite having just watched the film again and looking out for that particular scene. Missed the tree for the woods. It was a prominent line of dialogue in Laura's secret diary.

I do wonder if it was Engels or Lynch lifting material from Jennifer's Secret Diary for FWWM. He claimed to have not read it but iirc one of the Log Lady intros pretty much lifted a quote from the book and he definitely wrote those intros himself. He also wrote the forward to the reprint in 2014.

Sometimes I wonder if he also read Frost's two recent books and was just being cheeky/making a point in claiming he hadn't.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:04 am
BOB1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:39 pm Only the words "I want to taste through your mouth" are in the original, is that right?
You may be right. Oddly, I don't remember despite having just watched the film again and looking out for that particular scene. Missed the tree for the woods. It was a prominent line of dialogue in Laura's secret diary.

I do wonder if it was Engels or Lynch lifting material from Jennifer's Secret Diary for FWWM. He claimed to have not read it but iirc one of the Log Lady intros pretty much lifted a quote from the book and he definitely wrote those intros himself. He also wrote the forward to the reprint in 2014.

Sometimes I wonder if he also read Frost's two recent books and was just being cheeky/making a point in claiming he hadn't.
I don’t believe that quote is anywhere in The Secret Diary. I was pretty sure it wasn’t, but double checked with a search of Glastonbury Grove’s transcription: http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/lpdiary.html

I found three uses of the word “taste,” but none are close to that quote.
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

"I would just die if anyone saw what I've written." - Laura, August 7 1984