Did Fans Not Understand Dougie was a Parody storyline

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Re: Did Fans Not Understand Dougie was a Parody storyline

Post by TheAlien »

Dougie was comedic and humorous but definietely not a parody.

Dougie is the embodiment of the pure, good side of Agent Cooper. He does basically nothing and creates only peace and joy.
Mr C is the embodiment of the evil, sadistic but highly intelligent and strategic side of Agent Cooper. He only creates Garmonbozia.
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

TheAlien wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:39 pm Mr C is the embodiment of the evil, sadistic but highly intelligent and strategic side of Agent Cooper.
Mr. C got played by everyone he interacted with, didn't even know what he was looking for and walked straight into a trap. He was not highly intelligent, nor was he any kind of threat at all.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Kilmoore wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:10 am
TheAlien wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:39 pm Mr C is the embodiment of the evil, sadistic but highly intelligent and strategic side of Agent Cooper.
Mr. C got played by everyone he interacted with, didn't even know what he was looking for and walked straight into a trap. He was not highly intelligent, nor was he any kind of threat at all.
He evidently didn't have the omniscient intuition Good Coop had. I thought it was consistent in terms of splitting character traits among the many fractures of Dale Cooper.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

Kilmoore wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:10 am
He appeared intelligent enough to discern the situation with the coordinates. After all, he wasn't the one getting cooked on the rock.

The other coordinates were exactly what he wanted, but how was he supposed to know that Briggs, Cole and Cooper had a trap planned for him? Someone's got to win in those situations.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I dont think Mr C is quite a bumbler.... he had people fooled with the Diane tulpa for awhile.

since Mr C is only half a person tho, he is bound to be fallible.

I dunno if Dougie was parody, seemed like Lynch coming full circle back to the themes wanted to express in The Alphabet.
Dougie just raw thoughts and intuition, not processing everything he does in language,
Cooper re born into somewhat of an early child development stage, learning how to process thoughts into words again. Way I took it.

I think the experience of childhood and playing pretend with friends is a big thing for Lynch, something he really never wants to let go of as an adult,
that whole Art Life docu he reminisces a lot about playing the mud with other kids, running around all day until his mom called him and his brother
in for dinner. in a meta sorta way, thats what he and Frost are doing behind the scenes, and he doing in front of the camera with Miguel.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

I’m trying to think of genre movies off the top of my head where there are other characters who don’t seem to notice anything that unusual about the person who is changed into an undead monster or has been inhabited by an alien, or is a “sapient” alien or angelic visitor, amusing situations ensue. It’s a trope, to be sure. Janey-E’s reactions are funny because she’s been in ‘blind rage’ over her husband’s idiosyncrasies, replaced by new ones, some of which are benign or positive, now she’s just “blind.”

The change in hair and suit, physique, are mildly confusing but yes this sets up the weird world rules. Sonny Jim isn’t going to wake the other characters up to the reality of his father being replaced, like he would in a traditional narrative.

It takes more suspension of disbelief for Cooper to look enough like his secretary’s estranged sister’s husband that Kyle plays both.
OAM looks like Philip Gerard but other inhabitings work differently. It seems minor that no one reacts much to retarded (as in slowed down) Dougie but it helps the audience believe that this is because the mellow version is like a lovable, clumsy old dog.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03