Differing Views on The Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

To the Profoundly Disappointed: Are You Still Disappointed?

Still profoundly disappointed - my feelings have not changed.
30%
More disappointed.
22%
No longer profoundly disappointed but still disappointed.
4%
No longer disappointed at all but still have mixed feelings about The Return.
4%
My feelings have softened but not sure what I think of it.
9%
I need to rewatch before I vote.
4%
I need to rewatch it before I vote here, but I think I'm still going to be very disappointed.
9%
I need to rewatch it before I vote here, but I think I'm still going to be somewhat but less disappointed.
No votes
I'm neutral.
No votes
I now like The Return, but still have some mixed feelings.
4%
I now love The Return completely.
4%
Other - explain in comments.
9%

Total votes: 23
missoulamt
RR Diner Member

Re: Differing Views on The Return - and a poll for the Disappointed Support Group

Post by missoulamt »

As for showing Jade in the nude, Lynch probably liked what he saw and felt the scene had an aesthetic quality about it (which it did, in my opinion). Would it have been improved if she was dressed? Probably not. Let's face it, Lynch likes to include women in various states of undress. I would argue the scene where Tracey gets undressed in front of Sam feels more "forced" to me. Patricia Arquette also seemed to fill the same function for him in Lost Highway.
missoulamt
RR Diner Member

Re: Differing Views on The Return - and a poll for the Disappointed Support Group

Post by missoulamt »

On the other hand, Dougie was probably the one who was the most objectified of them all, with Janey E drooling over him in the doctor's office.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

missoulamt wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:43 pm As for showing Jade in the nude, Lynch probably liked what he saw and felt the scene had an aesthetic quality about it (which it did, in my opinion). Would it have been improved if she was dressed? Probably not. Let's face it, Lynch likes to include women in various states of undress. I would argue the scene where Tracey gets undressed in front of Sam feels more "forced" to me. Patricia Arquette also seemed to fill the same function for him in Lost Highway.
I had responded to this earlier but it got removed mistakenly when the thread was cleaned up. I see what you're saying but her being nude isn't the issue itself - it's that the only black woman cast in the role happens to be the only one who is full-frontal nude and also happens to be cast as a prostitute. That is the problematic issue, not her nudity itself. None of them are essentially problems - but when she's the only woman - and indeed only person - of colour of note in the cast (not counting smaller/extra roles - and even then I can only think of Bellina Logan's doctor) and her role is a prostitute and requires nudity, it stands out and should be questioned imo. I've seen others say this too but not sure the topic has ever been discussed in more detail. As this thread is now locked due to other issues, another thread can be created to discuss diversity in Twin Peaks and follow up with this conversation there if you like. We'll have to be extra careful if such a thread is created, though, as it could be in danger of violating the rules due to the sensitive nature of such discussion. Let's play it by ear.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I did ask for feedback on certain things with the change of the thread subject, but this thread has just become toxic. I’ll take some responsibility there. Let’s lock this thread up and move on. No one’s changing their mind here.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Differing Views on The Return

Post by Jonah »

Thanks Brad. The recent posts that led to this thread being locked have now been removed and the thread cleaned up. This was not the first time the thread turned toxic. Early on, a few posters were getting very heated with other posters and it got very negative then as well. Considering a similar thing happened yet again, it was too many times, hence the decision to lock the thread. For those reading this after the fact - note that the posts Brad was responding to have been removed and he was not responding to the diversity posts above and they were not the reason this was locked. The thread is staying locked - for now. The two new threads (the Mostly Disappointed and Mostly Satisfied) will also be locked if the problematic discourse continues. Please refer to the guidelines for the new threads in the original posts of both and don't cross-post between the threads or use one as a way to comment on the other.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.