Finding data about season 3's budget

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Peter-H

Finding data about season 3's budget

Post by Peter-H »

I've always been interested to know what the budget for The Return was, but Showtime has been tight lipped about that information. I saw this report which shows how much money different TV productions got tax credits on in California in 2017, and on page 16 it shows that the The Return production spent 41 million dollars in California in 2017. The Return filmed in California and Washington, so if a similar report exists for Washington we can determine the budget of The Return, but I haven't been able to find such a report. I know Sabrina Sutherland said the production got tax credits in Washington, so I imagine similar data exists for the shooting that was done in that state. If someone else is able to find that data then I'd appreciate it.
Last edited by Peter-H on Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Finding data about season 3's budget

Post by mtwentz »

Peter-H wrote:I've always been interested to know what the budget for The Return was but Showtime has been tight lipped about that information. I saw this data which shows how much money different TV productions got tax credits on in California in 2017. On page 16 of the PDF it shows that the The Return production spent 41 million dollars in California. The Return filmed in California and Washington, so if a similar report exists for Washington we can determine the budget for The Return, but I haven't been able to find such a report. I know Sabrina Sutherland said the production got tax credits in Washington so I imagine similar data exists for the shooting that was done for that state. If someone else is able to find that data then I'd appreciate it.
Great find!

This seems to be in line with what the speculation was on this forum. Getting the exact number doesn't seem as important as knowing that the budget was in line for the number of episodes being produced.

That appears to have been the stick up: 9 vs 18
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Metalane

Post by Metalane »

I just hope that with the alleged $85 million dollar budget and 200 shooting days Lynch will have all of the creative time he needs to fulfill his vision. As far as I know the situation with The Return is still unclear. The complete budget, the number of hours Showtime actually wanted, and more remain a mystery. I also hope they won't need to use stock footage anymore.
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

DAT.a