LMFAP original season 3 script page!

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

LMFAP original season 3 script page!

Post by Soolsma »

This was on Reddit and apparently it's from the new BTS material. It's the lodge scene with TMFAP instead of the tree.

Tried to transcribe as good as possible:
EDIT: corrected transcription thanks to Vicksvapor77!
58 CONTINUED:

The light just stays on the grove and the twelve sycamores.

CUT TO:

59 INT. RED ROOM

Cooper is sitting in his chair, now 25 years older. By the
curtains TMFAP - also older - has his back to Cooper and is
rapidly rubbing his hands together creating a shaking sound.
TMFAP turns, goes to a chair and sits. He looks up at Cooper.
Cooper looks at TMFAP.

TMFAP (strikeout) Philip G. (written in)
Is is future, or is it past?

Cooper just looks at him.

TMFAP (CONT'D)
Do you know who I am? (strikeout)

Cooper shakes his head.

COOPER
No.

TMFAP
I am the arm - and I sound like
this.

TMFAP makes a whooping sound with his hand against his mouth.
The sound starts loud and then gets softer and softer until
it stops. TMFAP lowers his hand and looks at Cooper. Cooper
looks at TMFAP then sees something and turns.

Laura Palmer now 25 years older sits in the chair next to
TMFAP. TMFAP sees that Cooper has seen Laura.
I guess this means that the S3 lodge scene was supposed to mirror Cooper's first Red Room dream even closer.
Attachments
script3.jpg
script3.jpg (87.25 KiB) Viewed 17904 times
Last edited by Soolsma on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: LMFAP original season 3 script page!

Post by mtwentz »

what could have been!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Y’know, while it’s always welcome to see iconic original characters/actors return, I’m sort of happier we got the Evolution of the Arm. It’s one of the zanier, more iconic touches in TP:TR. And whereas L/F breathed new life into the Giant, reimagining him as the Fireman and using him brilliantly, Mike/PMG (as many have noted) felt somewhat diminished in the new show (which might have been intentional). Judging solely by this script page, the original plan for the scene was a complete retread of earlier material with MJA, which honestly isn’t all that appealing. The EotA is much cooler than just re-enacting fan favorite moments with older actors.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I find it amusing how malleable the material is.

Sabrina: "We can't get the weird dwarf anymore, because he's being too weird".

David: "No probs, swap lines and put a weird brain on a weird tree"
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The date is also interesting. 3/24/2016 was very late in production for script pages with MfAP to still be in there. They clearly knew by that point they weren’t using MJA. Had they not yet rewritten those pages?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I really wish I could get my hands on the script page before that. I have always suspected that weren't it for Catherine's condition, Hawk would have met the log lady at Glastonbury Grove instead of speaking to her on the phone.
Mr. Reindeer wrote:The date is also interesting. 3/24/2016 was very late in production for script pages with MfAP to still be in there. They clearly knew by that point they weren’t using MJA. Had they not yet rewritten those pages?
IIRC, Lynch improvised the Evolution of the Arm while/after shooting.

So this is indeed from the new box set? I'd be curious to hear in what context this page appears from someone who's got their hands on it.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:So this is indeed from the new box set? I'd be curious to hear in what context this page appears from someone who's got their hands on it.
Lynch is reading a script right before Sheryl Lee comes on set in the Red Room. He’s not specifically looking at this page, but this is the visible front page on the script packet he’s reading.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Wow, this is almost word by word and cue by cue the old scene. Could it be, perhaps, that this is in fact an old script page, used for reference? Maybe Lynch was always gonna improvise these Red Room scenes?
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

A lot of the Red Room dialogue in Part 2 is repeated from the original series (including the dialogue from that page, it's just spoken by the tree instead of MJA), so no, I don't think so.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Y’know, while it’s always welcome to see iconic original characters/actors return, I’m sort of happier we got the Evolution of the Arm. It’s one of the zanier, more iconic touches in TP:TR. And whereas L/F breathed new life into the Giant, reimagining him as the Fireman and using him brilliantly, Mike/PMG (as many have noted) felt somewhat diminished in the new show (which might have been intentional). Judging solely by this script page, the original plan for the scene was a complete retread of earlier material with MJA, which honestly isn’t all that appealing. The EotA is much cooler than just re-enacting fan favorite moments with older actors.
Not so much about MJA returning (I also enjoyed the Evolution of the Arm), but tying that particular scene more directly to the Season 1, Episode 2 scene. That would have had a better symmetry except for...
...Sheryl Lee's age.

In theory, Laura shouldn't grow older in the Lodge. Although I guess with the idea that maybe Laura never actually died, she ages in the Lodge as Carrie ages in the real world.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:
In theory, Laura shouldn't grow older in the Lodge. Although I guess with the idea that maybe Laura never actually died, she ages in the Lodge as Carrie ages in the real world.
“I am dead, yet I live.”
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Most of TMFAP scenes went to Phillip Gerard. I think I had mentioned this a few times in the past but I'm glad this confirms it for anyone skeptical of a random person on a message board, haha.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

mtwentz wrote: ...Sheryl Lee's age.
But then again, it nicely mirrors Cooper's aging, both in his first lodge dream and during his stay there. Actually, as far as we know, every person still ages in the lodge; Leland too for example. Weren't it for the absence of Silva and MJA, even they would have aged!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Soolsma wrote:
mtwentz wrote: ...Sheryl Lee's age.
But then again, it nicely mirrors Cooper's aging, both in his first lodge dream and during his stay there. Actually, as far as we know, every person still ages in the lodge; Leland too for example. Weren't it for the absence of Silva and MJA, even they would have aged!
But now we know Lynch could have CGI'd all of them!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Thank you so much to Soolsma for the original post! I have taken the next step and transcribed the entire script page below. Lots of squinting and going frame by frame involved! The line breaks are intentional with how it was formatted on the script page. The numbers 58 and 59 are the scene numbers. Enjoy!

58 CONTINUED:

The light just stays on the grove and the twelve sycamores.

CUT TO:

59 INT. RED ROOM

Cooper is sitting in his chair, now 25 years older. By the
curtains TMFAP - also older - has his back to Cooper and is
rapidly rubbing his hands together creating a shaking sound.
TMFAP turns, goes to a chair and sits. He looks up at Cooper.
Cooper looks at TMFAP.

TMFAP (strikeout) Philip G. (written in)
Is is future, or is it past?

Cooper just looks at him.

TMFAP (CONT'D)
Do you know who I am? (strikeout)

Cooper shakes his head.

COOPER
No.

TMFAP
I am the arm - and I sound like
this.

TMFAP makes a whooping sound with his hand against his mouth.
The sound starts loud and then gets softer and softer until
it stops. TMFAP lowers his hand and looks at Cooper. Cooper
looks at TMFAP then sees something and turns.

Laura Palmer now 25 years older sits in the chair next to
TMFAP. TMFAP sees that Cooper has seen Laura.