Does Between Two Worlds indicate Lynch had different plans for S3?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Does Between Two Worlds indicate Lynch had different plans for S3?

Post by Jonah »

Especially featuring Sarah, Leland, and Laura. What we see in "Between Two Worlds" teases a much different story and one that sounds better. A Sarah wracked with grief (which we did see, but no indication of a Judy possession here). Curious lines from Leland and especially Laura here too. I just get the feeling Lynch had different plans for these characters than what he ultimately went with in S3?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Re: Does Between Two Worlds indicate Lynch had different plans for S3?

Post by writersblock »

Jonah wrote:Especially featuring Sarah, Leland, and Laura. What we see in "Between Two Worlds" teases a much different story and one that sounds better. A Sarah wracked with grief (which we did see, but no indication of a Judy possession here). Curious lines from Leland and especially Laura here too. I just get the feeling Lynch had different plans for these characters than what he ultimately went with in S3?
It’s interesting cause he must have known that Twin Peaks was returning in some sort of form at that point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

People keep saying this, but it honestly feels pretty consistent to me. Sarah foreshadows something being wrong with the Palmer house, something being wrong with her (putting on the happy face, which is creepy as heck), and talks about watching professional sports on TV (albeit not boxing). Leland is basically just talking about the past, so he’s neutral. Laura’s portion is the only one that seems like maybe it was setting up something that never materialized, but I certainly wouldn’t call it inconsistent with TR as it ended up.

EDIT: We later learned that Sarah can literally “put on” and remove her face! Not sure that was intentional though.
Isis Unveiled
Roadhouse Member

Post by Isis Unveiled »

Every time someone mentions Between Two Worlds in reference to Twin Peaks I mistakenly think of the 1944 Warner Brothers film by the same name:

Between Two Worlds
In London during World War II, married couple Henry (Paul Henreid) and Ann Bergner (Eleanor Parker) decide to commit suicide instead of waiting to be killed in a Nazi air raid. After carrying out their decision, the Bergners awake to find themselves on a large, mysterious ship with several other passengers. The ship's steward, Scrubby (Edmund Gwenn), informs them that the vessel is where the dead come to be judged. The passengers now must await the fate handed down to them by the Examiner.
The couple that commits suicide in the beginning are the only ones that know they’re dead, and thus observe the rest of the passengers with shock and pity as one by one they begin to understand that, they too, have actually died.

Maybe a significant link to TP, maybe not, though at the very least I’m pretty sure Lynch was giving the 1944 film a nod in The Return.
"I have the fury of my own momentum." - BOB