What would a Season 4 be about?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: What would a Season 4 be about?

Post by krishnanspace »

If 1967 is of some significance , then that means Kyle, Showtime and others are aware of the story. I don't think Lynch and Frost would allow that considering how tight lipped they were during Season 3
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I'm kind of inclined to think "1967" is just Kyle Maclachlan being goofy and random. But some sort of sequel/prequel Twin Peaks set in 1960's would be interesting (but then again, wouldn't any Peaks?).

I've wondered if there would be any story to tell in 1964/5, 25 years before the events of the original show in 1989/90. Maybe if 2014/5 was so important because it was 25 years later, then somehow every 25 years some mystical (or narrative) circle opens up and lots of Lodge shenanigans are afoot. I don't think a 60's TP would have to be set exactly 25 years before the original show though -- the atomic bomb test and the White Sands incident don't take place exactly 25 years before '64/'65, so weird Lodge happenings don't only occur for a few months every 25 years.

If Lynch/Frost went down this road, setting a season in 60's, they'd have a lot of concepts and situations to visit upon:

- Dougie Milford's feud with his brother, and concurrent involvement with Project Blue Book and the Nixon Administration

- Young and charming law student Leland Palmer's murder spree with the two armed man, Phillip Gerard (and their subsequent breakup?)

- Gordon Cole's hearing loss, and how he got attuned to the supernatural

- How the Log Lady found her log (maybe it's not her husband reincarnated?)

- The conception of Laura Palmer: Was she born from that golden orb that shot out of the Fireman's head, or was that just how Carrie Page was created? Did the mating of BOB (Leland) and The Jumping Man (Sarah?) involve some Rosemary's Baby esque occult ritual?

- Some obligatory Ed/Norma/Hank drama, including Hank's betrayal of the Bookhouse Boys

- Johnny Horne and his condition, was it caused by a specific trauma or accident?

- How did Eileen Hayward end up in a wheelchair?

- A younger Catherine and Pete Martell, who still have a healthy and relatively normal marriage

- Andrew Packard, most powerful man in town, actually out and interacting with members of the community

- Is "Beth", Madeline Ferguson's mom, Sarah's sister or Leland's sister, or the wife of Sarah or Leland's brother? Not the most pressing mystery, but something I've always wondered

Obviously, these younger versions of existing characters would be played by new actors. I'm generally opposed to recasting in TP, but I think in this case it might be acceptable.

Ideally it wouldn't fall into a prequel trap, where it's boxed in by the already existing outcomes of characters. I'm sure Lynch/Frost could use this format in a way to show us something new about the world of Twin Peaks (and Laura and Cooper too) that isn't merely building towards conclusions that we already know are coming. Prequels frequently have that problem, and while I think FWWM avoids that by giving us a fuller perspective on Laura's life and death, there are a lot of people that say the opposite, that the film merely shows her dying and gives us nothing new (like in that Joe Bob Briggs clip that someone posted in another thread).

So would the initial premise for this season be "Richard"/Cooper and Carrie Page/Laura Palmer stuck in 1967 somehow? Did they cross into that when Laura screamed, or were they already in '67 when Cooper went to Judy's Diner?
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Post by Phillip Jeffries_40 »

Cappy wrote:I'm kind of inclined to think "1967" is just Kyle Maclachlan being goofy and random. But some sort of sequel/prequel Twin Peaks set in 1960's would be interesting (but then again, wouldn't any Peaks?).

I've wondered if there would be any story to tell in 1964/5, 25 years before the events of the original show in 1989/90. Maybe if 2014/5 was so important because it was 25 years later, then somehow every 25 years some mystical (or narrative) circle opens up and lots of Lodge shenanigans are afoot. I don't think a 60's TP would have to be set exactly 25 years before the original show though -- the atomic bomb test and the White Sands incident don't take place exactly 25 years before '64/'65, so weird Lodge happenings don't only occur for a few months every 25 years.

If Lynch/Frost went down this road, setting a season in 60's, they'd have a lot of concepts and situations to visit upon:

- Dougie Milford's feud with his brother, and concurrent involvement with Project Blue Book and the Nixon Administration

- Young and charming law student Leland Palmer's murder spree with the two armed man, Phillip Gerard (and their subsequent breakup?)

- Gordon Cole's hearing loss, and how he got attuned to the supernatural

- How the Log Lady found her log (maybe it's not her husband reincarnated?)

- The conception of Laura Palmer: Was she born from that golden orb that shot out of the Fireman's head, or was that just how Carrie Page was created? Did the mating of BOB (Leland) and The Jumping Man (Sarah?) involve some Rosemary's Baby esque occult ritual?

- Some obligatory Ed/Norma/Hank drama, including Hank's betrayal of the Bookhouse Boys

- Johnny Horne and his condition, was it caused by a specific trauma or accident?

- How did Eileen Hayward end up in a wheelchair?

- A younger Catherine and Pete Martell, who still have a healthy and relatively normal marriage

- Andrew Packard, most powerful man in town, actually out and interacting with members of the community

- Is "Beth", Madeline Ferguson's mom, Sarah's sister or Leland's sister, or the wife of Sarah or Leland's brother? Not the most pressing mystery, but something I've always wondered

Obviously, these younger versions of existing characters would be played by new actors. I'm generally opposed to recasting in TP, but I think in this case it might be acceptable.

Ideally it wouldn't fall into a prequel trap, where it's boxed in by the already existing outcomes of characters. I'm sure Lynch/Frost could use this format in a way to show us something new about the world of Twin Peaks (and Laura and Cooper too) that isn't merely building towards conclusions that we already know are coming. Prequels frequently have that problem, and while I think FWWM avoids that by giving us a fuller perspective on Laura's life and death, there are a lot of people that say the opposite, that the film merely shows her dying and gives us nothing new (like in that Joe Bob Briggs clip that someone posted in another thread).

So would the initial premise for this season be "Richard"/Cooper and Carrie Page/Laura Palmer stuck in 1967 somehow? Did they cross into that when Laura screamed, or were they already in '67 when Cooper went to Judy's Diner?
I don,t believe this be a joke. Showtime TP retweeted the tweet.
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Twin Peaks finished in 1992. Since 1967 to 1992 there is 25 years!!! Coincidence??
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I really doubt Kyle would have tweeted anything that actually had any bearing on an upcoming storyline. But, 1967 is the year MLMT starts.
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

In the part 18 when Coop arrive to the Judy,s dinner, in the wall of the kitchen there is a announce of Coca cola of mid 60,s.

All this can be anything, but are some things yet
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Phillip Jeffries_40 wrote:Twin Peaks finished in 1992. Since 1967 to 1992 there is 25 years!!! Coincidence??
Ah, I didn't think of it that way. And 25 years after 1992 = 2017. Maybe there is something there? I can never tell what specific year any of TP is supposed to occur.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

If they do a 1967 season with recasts of young versions of original characters, my only hope is that Michael Shannon plays Dougie Milford, and his brother Dwayne is played by Bill Hader. Hader is great at playing crotchety older types, and Michael Shannon looks just like Bill Hader (and... he's a great actor too).
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Could Odessa scene take place in 1967? Seemingly not, but actually yes, and it is another clue what might be going on time-wise.

The reason for it not taking place in 1967 is the age of Carrie Page, she was sent to incarnate as the result of 1947 nuclear test, so that would make her 20 in that scene which is clearly not the case, she's 45 or so (keeping Sheryl's actual age as an indicator). What do we make of it?

Well, the music in the Fireman's place is from 1920's/30's (i.e. "Slow 30's Room"). Not only does the music prove it, but also the phonograph, and the fact that the scene was filmed in black in while. What does this then mean? It means that Fireman had foreseen the explosion in 1947 and had sent Laura orb to incarnate 20 or so years before it actually happened. That would then mean that Sarah Palmer is not Carrie Page's mother! This also explains Fireman's words to Cooper: "You are far away". Far away as in sense of time: he traveled back far away from 1992/2107. "What year is this" indeed.

While we are talking Odessa here, I will first say that I have not watched the last parts since they had aired, but the night scene with Cooper driving Carrie back home was the only scene in the Return where I felt some genuine dread.

Finally, there is an interesting parallel to be aware of here: Cooper takes Diane and drives during the day (to reach Odessa?). The journey with Carries goes in the opposite direction and it is a night journey, so it is an exact mirror opposite of the first one.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

boske wrote:Could Odessa scene take place in 1967? Seemingly not, but actually yes
I am going "actually no" on that one. The scene right after Cooper and Diane cross over and arrive at the hotel could be set in the 60's I think, but once he wakes up to the RIchard and Linda letter we are clearly very close to present day. One clear piece of evidence is the Maersk logo seen right before he arrives at Judy's. The logo is featured quite prominently and has been carefully inserted as a point of view shot during editing - Cooper notices, we notice. I also think the guns in the diner look way more contemporary than 1960's etc.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

eyeboogers wrote:
boske wrote:Could Odessa scene take place in 1967? Seemingly not, but actually yes
I am going "actually no" on that one. The scene right after Cooper and Diane cross over and arrive at the hotel could be set in the 60's I think, but once he wakes up to the RIchard and Linda letter we are clearly very close to present day. One clear piece of evidence is the Maersk logo seen right before he arrives at Judy's. The logo is featured quite prominently. I also think the guns in the diner look way more contemporary than 1960's etc.
Something like that could be possible too. If I recall correctly, Cooper drives a different car on his way south. The other car (on the way back) looks modern, and the guns too (they would have had some revolvers back in the 60's I think), but there is something off here. If Carrie is the same age that Laura would be and we are in the present time, the orb would have "landed" in Twin Peaks and not Odessa, and in 70's, and not 60's or earlier.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I'll stop at this post for now. Who are Carries Page's parents? If she was indeed born in Odessa in 60's or so, and Richard and Linda were there that night, it could have been them. And the whole thing then gets weird real fast.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I saw somewhere that Kyle had something on his instagram relating to 1967. A photo from his youth. I just checked and it's still there. I think that's why he said "1967," not that it actually had anything to do with Part 18. Though it is interesting as Reindeer pointed out that it is the year in which MLMT begins.

It's the third picture over:

https://www.instagram.com/kyle_maclachlan/
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

LateReg wrote:I saw somewhere that Kyle had something on his instagram relating to 1967. A photo from his youth. I just checked and it's still there. I think that's why he said "1967," not that it actually had anything to do with Part 18. Though it is interesting as Reindeer pointed out that it is the year in which MLMT begins.

It's the third picture over:

https://www.instagram.com/kyle_maclachlan/
Showtime retweeted .only their youth? I don,t know.

Kyle answered 1967 to a question about Cooper, not about Kyle.
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

boske wrote:Could Odessa scene take place in 1967? Seemingly not, but actually yes, and it is another clue what might be going on time-wise.

The reason for it not taking place in 1967 is the age of Carrie Page, she was sent to incarnate as the result of 1947 nuclear test, so that would make her 20 in that scene which is clearly not the case, she's 45 or so (keeping Sheryl's actual age as an indicator). What do we make of it?

Well, the music in the Fireman's place is from 1920's/30's (i.e. "Slow 30's Room"). Not only does the music prove it, but also the phonograph, and the fact that the scene was filmed in black in while. What does this then mean? It means that Fireman had foreseen the explosion in 1947 and had sent Laura orb to incarnate 20 or so years before it actually happened. That would then mean that Sarah Palmer is not Carrie Page's mother! This also explains Fireman's words to Cooper: "You are far away". Far away as in sense of time: he traveled back far away from 1992/2107. "What year is this" indeed.

While we are talking Odessa here, I will first say that I have not watched the last parts since they had aired, but the night scene with Cooper driving Carrie back home was the only scene in the Return where I felt some genuine dread.

Finally, there is an interesting parallel to be aware of here: Cooper takes Diane and drives during the day (to reach Odessa?). The journey with Carries goes in the opposite direction and it is a night journey, so it is an exact mirror opposite of the first one.
These night Coop and Carrie could have travel in time like Coop and Diane by the day. I agree with this. 430 miles.