What would a Season 4 be about?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Re: What would a Season 4 be about?

Post by TwinsPeak »

Eyeboogers you beat me to the punch, I was wrtting this before you posted:

I might be wrong but I think he was proud but more didn't want to be typecast in such an iconic role and also not wanting to go down with ship of bad ratings of Twin Peaks. My guess is he was thinking about his career outside of Twin Peaks, but all the while personally he loves it.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

For the longest time I have always pictured Carrie Page and Dale/Richard going to The Great Northern and checking in. I envision them having dinner or breakfast there and discussing things. Then exploring the town of Twin Peaks. I'd love to see old characters having different roles in this new "Twin Peaks". I also like the idea that all the electricity might be gone out or go out, throughout the town. I'd love to see Annie, Josie, and Catherine Martell again - or some forms of them. Beyond that, I have no idea what Season 4 could be about - I'd love it to be Carrie and Richard exploring a new TP. And - but I think this is too much to hope for - that it would be very surreal but would eventually lead back into a version of the show that is very reminiscent of Season 1 and 2, almost like surrealism leads back to "normality", kind of an inversion of the dark heart glimpsed behind a normal town.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

My vision of Season 4 is that the story would revolve around the Giants clues
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

The Laura is missing timeline.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

In that case. Let's hope Lynch too would fully acknowledge TFD.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I feel like maybe Laura Palmer's story arc is finished, and Cooper's is too for the most part. I don't want to create another rambling post musing on the meaning of the ending of Season 3, but in the event that there is no story left for Laura and Agent Cooper, then perhaps Lynch/Frost could go the El Camino route and do a film or miniseries that wraps up another character's story.

Maybe season 4 could be about Audrey's predicament, and how she gets out of it. Several key characters could still be featured (Ben, Jerry, Johnny, Sylvia, Richard, even distant half-sister Donna) but it wouldn't have an obligation to follow up on every thread from S3 (or the original series even). There could even be some room for a Cooper appearance, given Richard's origin story.

Lynch/Frost could tie Audrey's weird reality shifting moment at the end of episode 16 into Cooper's wrecking of the timeline in 17; Audrey is stuck between two worlds and is the only person that suspects something is wrong. Or the end of episode 16 was Audrey in some mental facility and her mind is stuck in some nihilistic fantasy where she is stuck in an unhappy marriage with Charlie. Either way, there seems to be some story left with her.

EDIT: I might have posted this before but I would love to see an On The Air style comedy (but... more 2019) about The Great Northern Hotel and the Horne family. If they can't do a season 4 proper, then I'd be content with some other excuse to look in on the world of Twin Peaks.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Cappy wrote:I feel like maybe Laura Palmer's story arc is finished, and Cooper's is too for the most part. I don't want to create another rambling post musing on the meaning of the ending of Season 3, but in the event that there is no story left for Laura and Agent Cooper, then perhaps Lynch/Frost could go the El Camino route and do a film or miniseries that wraps up another character's story.

Maybe season 4 could be about Audrey's predicament, and how she gets out of it. Several key characters could still be featured (Ben, Jerry, Johnny, Sylvia, Richard, even distant half-sister Donna) but it wouldn't have an obligation to follow up on every thread from S3 (or the original series even).
I was going to say: It wouldn't have any obligation to follow up on any thread from S3, LOL! Because on the one hand that is how I feel. Do we really think they made this self-contained, Limited Event Series, aka The Return, aka one long film, so they could pick up all the fragments of narrative they intentionally left behind? I don't think so.

But at the same time, I have to admit that one of my first thoughts was whether or not they'd pick up on any of the dangling threads from The Return, or if they were all left exactly where they wanted them. I've always thought the beauty of the dangling threads was that they gave the appearance of multiple timelines and better yet, as in the case of Roadhouse Randos, the illusion of life existing beyond the frame. I've always thought they weren't really meant to be picked up on, just left to be dreamt on. But maybe Lynch/Frost will choose to dream on them on film/digital.

So yeah, I don't know which direction they will take, but I definitely don't think they will feel an obligation to follow up very many of the threads of S3, simply based on how S3 operated.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

a few ideas, the new timeline could have:

a Dale Cooper who is now Deputy Director of the FBI, who didnt ever come to TP to investigate Laura's Murder and never got trapped in the lodge,
gives an opportunity for Kyle to play another iteration of Cooper

a Leland Palmer who never killed Laura because she disappeared and wasnt killed.

a sheriff Bobby Briggs or sheriff Hawk who doesnt know who this Richard/Cooper is, and suspects him of some new foul play.

a family reunion of the Palmer parents with their long lost daughter who doesnt recognize them as her parents.

possible new murder mystery where Richard/Cooper suspects Leland

you also have Judy as a new supernatural villain, and dont have to be reliant on Frank Silva footage or photos.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

To be completely honest, I think s4 would be just as subvertive as s3 was in regard to the original series. No one will be close to predicting it.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Where things stand now (at the end of S3/TR), I'd love to see:

The main strand involving the new Coop and Laura (aka Richard and Carrie), in whatever world/TP they are in, exploring in, perhaps trying to find a way out of it. I'd like to see some other cast members playing alternative versions of themselves or new characters entirely.

Another strand involving Audrey, exploring her mind and/or wherever she is now.

And, finally, a third strand that explores the town of Twin Peaks and the other characters there. Lucy, Andy, Hawk, Bobby, Shelley, etc.

I sort of see it in my mind as two separate places (alternative TP or somewhere with Coop-Richard/Carrie-Laura and the original town of Twin Peaks) perhaps connected by an inbetween place occupied by Audrey.

I'm not sure exactly what the plot would be (I imagine trying to defeat Judy or just exploring the worlds), but those are the main three elements I see being explored.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I just watched some first season Peaks, and it is so outstanding. They had the best cast firing on all cylinders. How Lynch and Frost could waste the Fenn/Machlachlan chemistry will always be a head scratcher to me.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
wpc77

Post by wpc77 »

Might see a "Many Sons of Newark" style flashback into the past where Harry, Hawk, Hank, Ed, Norma etc are high schoolers in the late 60s/early 70s, Leland and Sarah a young couple new to town getting ready to have a baby, Ben cheating on Sylvia with Doc Haywood's wife, etc, while Coop jaunts around the universe(s) like Sam from Quantum Leap.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

wpc77 wrote:Might see a "Many Sons of Newark" style flashback into the past where Harry, Hawk, Hank, Ed, Norma etc are high schoolers in the late 60s/early 70s, Leland and Sarah a young couple new to town getting ready to have a baby, Ben cheating on Sylvia with Doc Haywood's wife, etc, while Coop jaunts around the universe(s) like Sam from Quantum Leap.
Hmm. That’s something I was thinking too. No matter Cooper leaves the lodge there will always be a version of him trapped inside the lodge. That’s what FWWM showed
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

wpc77 wrote:Might see a "Many Sons of Newark" style flashback into the past where Harry, Hawk, Hank, Ed, Norma etc are high schoolers in the late 60s/early 70s, Leland and Sarah a young couple new to town getting ready to have a baby, Ben cheating on Sylvia with Doc Haywood's wife, etc, while Coop jaunts around the universe(s) like Sam from Quantum Leap.
Yeah I was imagining something similar to that when Kyle MacLachlan (or Frost?) randomly put out a tweet reading nothing more than "1968".

I'd be down with that -- normally I am leery of prequels, but Lynch has already demonstrated he can do stories with foregone conclusions in unexpected and shocking ways (FWWM).

I wonder if such a film/show would depict young Leland and young, two-armed Philip Gerard going on a killing spree -- MIKE's line about he and BOB killing together in the initial dream always gave me a strong mental image of the two of them embarking on a Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer-esque reign of carnage. Leland murdering a bunch of people in 70's might be inconsistent with his portrayal in the series and FWWM, but then again, Leland's portrayal is kind of inconsistent between the series and FWWM. If we get something new that even further complicates his character, it will only serve to make him more interesting at this point. Especially if they counter-balance the pain he causes with his anxieties and fears about becoming a father. Lynch/Frost could also use this to further explore Sarah's denial of Leland's awfulness, also that frog-moth thing that lives inside of her.

As long as it advances the existing story, or our knowledge of the existing story, while at the same time keeping the mystery alive without explaining too much.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

6E8383AE-E9DE-4F1A-AF6D-F2C947022D9C.jpeg
6E8383AE-E9DE-4F1A-AF6D-F2C947022D9C.jpeg (614.16 KiB) Viewed 8020 times