No Ray Wise?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: No Ray Wise?

Post by Agent Earle »

Kilmoore wrote: I'm quite jealous, since I'm still struggling to find anything positive to say about S3. I keep an eye on the conversation here and while I'm sometimes baffled by peoples interpretations that sound more like products of mental illnesses, there are a lot of people who derived joy from S3 and enjoy exchanging thoughts about it. After waiting for 25 years to have new Twin Peaks to talk about and then being left empty is a frustrating feeling I'm still not quite over yet. So I'll just have to lurk and absorb whatever bits I can get around here.
We should form a club! :D I mean, there's already the infamous Profoundly Disappointed thread, but most of the folks from over yonder have moved on, while a select few of us still linger around, sulking and dreaming of what could have been... Ah well, maybe in another 25 years time.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Agent Earle wrote:
Kilmoore wrote: I'm quite jealous, since I'm still struggling to find anything positive to say about S3. I keep an eye on the conversation here and while I'm sometimes baffled by peoples interpretations that sound more like products of mental illnesses, there are a lot of people who derived joy from S3 and enjoy exchanging thoughts about it. After waiting for 25 years to have new Twin Peaks to talk about and then being left empty is a frustrating feeling I'm still not quite over yet. So I'll just have to lurk and absorb whatever bits I can get around here.
We should form a club! :D I mean, there's already the infamous Profoundly Disappointed thread, but most of the folks from over yonder have moved on, while a select few of us still linger around, sulking and dreaming of what could have been... Ah well, maybe in another 25 years time.
I am somewhat in the same boat as you guys. I've seen some horribly stupid theories on Reddit, and a few on here (not many, not remotely close to the degree of Reddit), but I still like some of S3. Looked through the episodes with some friends last night because we wanted to rewatch one episode for the hell of it, and I think I've decided that episode 14 of season 3 may possibly be my fave of all S3.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

kitty666cats wrote: I am somewhat in the same boat as you guys. I've seen some horribly stupid theories on Reddit, and a few on here (not many, not remotely close to the degree of Reddit), but I still like some of S3.
Oh my yes as far as Reddit. I think some of those folks have no common sense. They're so obsessed with creating a puzzle they think they have to solve that it morphs for them into believing that the makers actually encoded secret meanings using small details.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

madeleineferguson wrote:As insane as this sounds, I now hope that Season 3 was mostly a cleaning of the pipes for both Frost and Lynch..... So here's hoping the pipes are cleaned out and these two can seriously focus back on Twin Peaks in Season 4.
I would love that too. Even if the show never recaptures the feel of the original series (and likely won't ever go in that direction again), I also hope that by getting The Return out of their system, which allowed them to try out a wide variety of creative bursts, a potential Season 4 or future movies - even if incredibly surreal - might be more focused on Twin Peaks and the original characters, though I don't think it's very likely.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I read through most of this thread, but still can't get a handle on why Ray Wise features so little in The Return. Someone said it was due to Lynch, not Frost. That the focus was on the Mother, not the Father, for this incarnation. And the fact that Leland is dead in the narrative. Then there's the story that Wise showed up on set, filmed his "Not Laura" scene and was surprised to hear that was a wrap. Is that true? Is there any more info out here? Regardless, having him reprise his role just to utter two lines really does stand out when you watch The Return. I know other characters from the original run are sidelined a bit, but I don't think any are sidelined quite this much. It's a shame. And again, I feel The Return was a missed opportunity in that regard to use these original actors more, especially with so many passing on such as Peggy Lipton, etc. Don't get me wrong - I like how Lynch paid tribute to all the deceased actors and I do like how he tried to work so many of them in, plus I have warmed to The Return a lot, but I still think it's a shame how little many of the original actors were used, especially in a case like Wise's.

Also, why is Wise in bad B-movies like "Jurassic City"? I know actors have to pay the bills, but I didn't realise he was in so many bad or B-movies. I thought he was still a pretty respected actor in mainstream or bigger projects.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

vicksvapor77 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 am
Mordeen wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:I saw people blaming David for not including Leland so I wanted to add my two cents. I met Ray Wise at a recent con and he had some very clear feelings on Mark Frost, especially his books. Let's just say... he's not a fan. I made a comment that I wish he was in it more and I'm pretty sure he more or less blamed Mark for it. I have a video my friend took of me talking to him that I definitely don't want to share publicly. I'll review it though.
You and I might want to compare notes.

- Mordeen
I'm down, send me a message!
Did you all ever compare notes? This topic has come up again :-).

Hey, we ain't got nothing better to talk about right now...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Ray being the first real leak of The Return might have landed him in the dog house! I kid. I have heard second hand that he wasn’t happy with his two lines. I don’t think anyone was. Ray adores TP and Leland, and it’s definitely a harsh “what if” for pretty much everyone I’d imagine.

But really, Leland showing up in the ep 18 Odessaverse would have been cool.

As for Ray’s projects, he’s a working actor — can’t begrudge anyone for honest work.

Also—trying to blame either Lynch or Frost for this seems silly. Absolutely no way to ever know what’s up or why they didn’t include him in more scenes.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Did you all ever compare notes? This topic has come up again :-).

Hey, we ain't got nothing better to talk about right now...
Yep. In case anyone is wondering, it's also being discussed here now: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 50#p131950

It's a topic about Grace Zabriskie's minimal screen time but we're discussing Ray Wise too. If it continues that way, I might move those posts over to this thread. Possibly both topics could even be merged - but let's see how it goes. It's nice to have one for each actor.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I thought there was real pathos to his presence/absence.

Was surprised to see the backlash upon first exposure to online TP communities.

I was more surprised that Piper asked to be in it and Lynch said he can't even fit one line in for her. I read that before watching The Return and expected it to be a watertight script with intricate plotting and pacing that just couldn't accommodate a stray cameo for one of a handful of absent characters.

But that definitely wasn't the case. Lynch claims he didn't even know how long the finished product would be.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

This is what I posted in the other thread:

"Still seems weird to me, not to mention a bit insulting. A one day cameo is fair enough, but two words total? I don't even know why Ray Wise bothered to show up for that. It could have easily been accomplished with archive footage and you're right he got a lot more to do in the featurette. It's like they just didn't know what to do with him - but they'd already decided the character existed in the red room, they had the actor there at hand, why not improvise a bit or give him some of the lines of the other people in the Red Room. Even a few scenes with him speaking gobbledygook or intriguing dialogue and grinning eerily would have fleshed out his role a bit more. Perhaps Sarah could have started seeing Leland's guise around town too, something like that. Might have been too conventional for Lynch but, done right, could have been very intriguing."

I don't know who's at fault - if anyone even is - for him being left out. I think it was just overall an oversight and agree there's little point blaming anyone for it. It just seems like a waste to bring an actor to set for two words. I've never seen such a small cameo before, I don't think. While he was there, there could have given him a handful of lines at least. But who knows - maybe more was filmed and just didn't make it to the final cut, though I think that's all they did. Or maybe the brevity was some kind of thematic point I'm missing. Or the plan had been to do more at the time, thinking they'd bring him back then.

I also had heard they couldn't figure out what to do with some of the others such as Joan Chen so maybe it's just as well they didn't push ahead with them if they were also only going to get two words, though it would have been nice to see them all the same.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

In terms of Piper, there’s a couple of different versions of what happened.

Chen is less ambiguous. She publicly begged to be in the show and there clearly just wasn’t a place for her.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:47 am In terms of Piper, there’s a couple of different versions of what happened.

Chen is less ambiguous. She publicly begged to be in the show and there clearly just wasn’t a place for her.
Piper was interviewed by O &A very early on, as I recall, and seemed eager to be in the new show, if there was a place for her.

So I'll go with- there wasn't a place for Piper either.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

mtwentz wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:19 am
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:47 am In terms of Piper, there’s a couple of different versions of what happened.

Piper was interviewed by O &A very early on, as I recall, and seemed eager to be in the new show, if there was a place for her.

So I'll go with- there wasn't a place for Piper either.
They could have received one of many one-shot cameos given almost everyone else was back for the reunion (even Augustine).

Dunno. Given the family reunion vibe and the overall abstract, unfocused, piecemeal and choppy nature of the show (that's a compliment not a diss), it seems a bit harsh to exclude a very small handful of actors from something they never thought would would again. Especially when they were practically begging for a part.

I'd get it if I was a tightly scripted production but the whole thing consists of ephemeral vibes, and is replete with non sequitur.

Feels (perhaps unjustly) like an omission rather than absence of inclusion.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Well, we got Walter to play a Renault again, and I really liked that scene (including the sweeping part), so we could have gotten to see more of Ray Wise, I wish we did. The only way I was able to (finally) reconcile it was by looking at TP overall as a pendulum movement between two poles (twin peaks), and that S3 is placed very near the Mother pole, hence very little Father in it, as Jonah also remarked earlier above.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I like the idea of Leland being alive in an Odessaverse. If Laura just disappeared, then he possibly went and did other murders etc, wasnt caught. It could have been a great story arc with lots of storytelling opportunities.