TP:TR. Full 18-hour experience

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

TP:TR. Full 18-hour experience

Post by yaxomoxay »

This post was originally intended for the Disappointed group as during the months I had pretty amazing conversations with them; however, I decided to open another thread because I feared that it would’ve been seen as trolling.
Last weekend a friend of mine, my wife, my kids (15yo and 11yo boys), and I did the full run of TP:TR. All 18 episodes in a row, no break, no pauses. For the record, my kids didn’t watch most of the episodes (which they have seen already) in the single-sitting session, but they watched probably a good 75% of it.
Fueled by coffee (gallons of it, and we brewed it using different methods, including pour over), donuts, cherry pie, and a non-lynchian pizza we started at 7:45am.

I have to say, what an incredible experience. I think that entertainment-wise I have never seen something like that. It really changed the viewing experience, my understanding of it, and even how it relates to time itself. Talking to my friend, he’s of the same opinion, and so is my wife. (My kids just want S4, and my 15yo now wants to watch all of Lynch’s movies... which I didn’t even see!).

First of all, and I realize it might sound like a joke but I assure you it’s not, the show felt rushed. Yep, I said it: rushed. During my first and second views of the show, some scenes seemed to drag on. Watching the whole feature film in a single sitting completely changed my perspective. Audrey’s first scene, which I felt it was a bad scene that dragged forever, felt fast... and incredibly funny. Obviously twelve hours will make 10 minutes go fast, but that was extreme.

Furthermore, it all felt pieced together. This work is as cohesive as it could be. One of the main complaints I had was how certain things felt disconnected (Roadhouse scenes anyone?). They are not, at least not in the sense that they do not belong there. They are intermezzos used to set a mood, to explain a state of confusion and of regular life. I don’t even care about Tina anymore because in the grand design she doesn’t matter, she’s just one of the many wheels of the (Disney’s song roaring) Circle of Life.

Ultimately, I think that TP:TR does not narrates chronologies. It narrates states of consciousness and the proof is that Cooper goes back to the lodge and changes/re-lives prior events (in the Lodge) to enter Richard’s universe... where he is still Cooper and Laura is still Laura.
I thought for a while that deleting Laura’s murder created a sort of new timeline, but it doesn’t make much sense because the Palmers bought the house before Laura was born. Deleting the murder would’ve changed what followed, not what was before.

I strongly suggest everyone to do this. Has anyone else lived through the 18 hour long movie in a single sitting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: TP:TR. Full 18-hour experience

Post by mtwentz »

yaxomoxay wrote:This post was originally intended for the Disappointed group as during the months I had pretty amazing conversations with them; however, I decided to open another thread because I feared that it would’ve been seen as trolling.
Last weekend a friend of mine, my wife, my kids (15yo and 11yo boys), and I did the full run of TP:TR. All 18 episodes in a row, no break, no pauses. For the record, my kids didn’t watch most of the episodes (which they have seen already) in the single-sitting session, but they watched probably a good 75% of it.
Fueled by coffee (gallons of it, and we brewed it using different methods, including pour over), donuts, cherry pie, and a non-lynchian pizza we started at 7:45am.

I have to say, what an incredible experience. I think that entertainment-wise I have never seen something like that. It really changed the viewing experience, my understanding of it, and even how it relates to time itself. Talking to my friend, he’s of the same opinion, and so is my wife. (My kids just want S4, and my 15yo now wants to watch all of Lynch’s movies... which I didn’t even see!).

First of all, and I realize it might sound like a joke but I assure you it’s not, the show felt rushed. Yep, I said it: rushed. During my first and second views of the show, some scenes seemed to drag on. Watching the whole feature film in a single sitting completely changed my perspective. Audrey’s first scene, which I felt it was a bad scene that dragged forever, felt fast... and incredibly funny. Obviously twelve hours will make 10 minutes go fast, but that was extreme.

Furthermore, it all felt pieced together. This work is as cohesive as it could be. One of the main complaints I had was how certain things felt disconnected (Roadhouse scenes anyone?). They are not, at least not in the sense that they do not belong there. They are intermezzos used to set a mood, to explain a state of confusion and of regular life. I don’t even care about Tina anymore because in the grand design she doesn’t matter, she’s just one of the many wheels of the (Disney’s song roaring) Circle of Life.

Ultimately, I think that TP:TR does not narrates chronologies. It narrates states of consciousness and the proof is that Cooper goes back to the lodge and changes/re-lives prior events (in the Lodge) to enter Richard’s universe... where he is still Cooper and Laura is still Laura.
I thought for a while that deleting Laura’s murder created a sort of new timeline, but it doesn’t make much sense because the Palmers bought the house before Laura was born. Deleting the murder would’ve changed what followed, not what was before.

I strongly suggest everyone to do this. Has anyone else lived through the 18 hour long movie in a single sitting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think I am going to try the same, but will wait until the DVD comes out.

Unfortunately, I won't have anyone to watch it with- it was a little too difficult for my wife and I felt some parts my 12-year old daughter was still a little too young to see, so I've only shown her certain select scenes.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jealous! I don't know when or if I'll have the ability to do this (long work hours and a very needy rescue dog make it next to impossible at the moment). What did the full runtime end up being? You mention 12 hours, but I imagine it would have been rather longer than that? I assume you skipped the main titles but watched the end credits/bands?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Jealous! I don't know when or if I'll have the ability to do this (long work hours and a very needy rescue dog make it next to impossible at the moment). What did the full runtime end up being? You mention 12 hours, but I imagine it would have been rather longer than that? I assume you skipped the main titles but watched the end credits/bands?
Audrey's first scene was in episode 12, so I think he meant it had been 12 hours up to that point (more like 11.75 when Audrey first appeared, but who's counting).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I managed to get the idea of an 18 hour feature cut released on USB stick into Mark Frost's ear. I hope it happens.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

I am currently on holidays and have just finished my TP Season 3 marathon, watching 2 blocks of 9 episodes, and wow i totally enjoyed it more than watching it over the last 12 weeks.The story seemed to have more cohesion and while i was originally disappointed at episode 18, (episode 17 was magnificent) i now look at it more favorably.

In my mind, ep 18 is so much like Lost Highway with the character duality, but that final scene with Carrie and Richard (Dale) , especially Carrie, you could see the terror starting to build on her face before that final chilling scream....brilliant.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Wow, I don't know if I can handle this. I've become less of a fan of binging in recent years as I've noticed that shows I watch weekly tend to have a bit more staying power. Episodes feel more distinct rather than blurring together. I tend to feel my focus waning by the time I get to the third or fourth consecutive episode in a row even if the show is compelling. But maybe this would be different as it's a rewatch... I can't say I've ever tried binging a rewatch. You are making a compelling case that it's something worth trying. I still feel like I'd have to break it up into two 9 part days.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

There's no way for me to do this in a truly uninterrupted sense, but I certainly admire the stamina of those attempting it.

One thing I will say is that even watching 1&2-3-4 one day and 5-6-7-8 on another really, really deepens the experience. It really does feel different to watching with a seven-day pause: the immersion and atmosphere is unrelentingly powerful. I can only imagine how much more this is so with the full 18 hours experience.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

that sounds like a great experience and i might very well do it as soon as the Blu-Ray lands.. take a Sunday and just burn through the entire thing. i might get fatigued by the entire 18 hours though, that's a lot of sound and images.. i bet Lynch would be proud of you however, considering that he doesn't even allow chapter stops on DVDs :)

i watched the entire series over 5 days, with episodes 10 to 18 on the last two days and i agree that it really enhances the experience.. The Return has a very specific rhythm to its structure and pacing, and i noticed that after a while it's like you really get connected into that and the time just flies by.

i know there were many people who felt that episodes 17 and 18 made it pointless to rewatch anything that came before.. i feel the exact opposite. knowing where we end up truly enhances the journey and makes you see many scenes and episodes in completely new light.
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

yaxomoxay wrote:This work is as cohesive as it could be.
You can't possibly be serious. This must be some kind of elaborate joke.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

If I had the time it would be awesome to marathon the whole thing. Start with FWWM. Then seasons 1 and 2. Then the return.

The format change between the different series. Would really feel like jumping into different dream worlds and work really well.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

If I had the time it would be awesome to marathon the whole thing. Start with FWWM. Then seasons 1 and 2. Then the return.

The format change between the different series. Would really feel like jumping into different dream worlds and work really well.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

This isn't logistically possible for me to do in the foreseeable future, but it sounds like a pretty incredible experience. I'm feeling a bit jealous.
Mr. Jackpots wrote:If I had the time it would be awesome to marathon the whole thing. Start with FWWM. Then seasons 1 and 2. Then the return.
Whoa, hold on there. Let's not cut corners. We cannot neglect the Missing Pieces!
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

I took some time off work and watched Season 1, 2, FIre Walk WIth Me, The Missing Pieces, then The Return!

And I loved it. Even Little Nicky!

Obviously this wasn't all in one go but it was curtains closed, television on, speakers on full, watch until I had to go pick up the kids, filling up on coffee and toilet breaks in between episodes. I was even watching parts during the night when I couldn't sleep.

Was magnificent!

I cannot wait for the Blu Ray release.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

writersblock wrote:I cannot wait for the Blu Ray release.
Indeed! Since 5/21, I've been watching on the Showtime Anytime app, throwing the feed up on my TV screen (I don't have cable). I've found the app to be glitchy in a way that HBO Go, Netflix, and similar apps are not, frequently freezing and needing to be refreshed. Not the ideal way to experience a primarily mood-based work! I can't wait to watch the show all the way through with no aggravation, and the ability to rewind and pause without getting up and disturbing my dog!