Poll: Choose Your Top 5 Hours/Parts of TPTR

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What are your top 5 favorite parts of TP:TR?

Part 1
4%
Part 2
3%
Part 3
10%
Part 4
2%
Part 5
2%
Part 6
3%
Part 7
2%
Part 8
18%
Part 9
1%
Part 10
1%
Part 11
9%
Part 12
1%
Part 13
1%
Part 14
5%
Part 15
6%
Part 16
9%
Part 17
8%
Part 18
14%

Total votes: 343
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Poll: Choose Your Top 5 Hours/Parts of TPTR

Post by mtwentz »

firefly2193 wrote:Having only seen it once and going off memory:

4) Part 2. I watched them edited together, so I kind of chose this as a cipher for both. Chose Part 2 because of Hastings, the evolution of the Arm, Laura, the NYC box sequence, and the Roadhouse outro. Parts 1 and 2 contained so much new mystery, so much potential and so many possibilites, not all of which they fulfilled, but it was such a wonderful return. It felt expanded in exciting and crazy ways. Hearing the theme come back made me cry, as did seeing the Log Lady.
For me, Part 2 is a close runner up to Part 8 for the best hour, but I think a lot of people conflate Part with Part 1, so it does not get a lot of love and some of its support I believe is found in the numbers for Part 1.

The scene with Doppelcoop and gang at the diner was also great.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

For me it's part 18, 8, 17, 3 and 16.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 are the most cohesive, atmospheric and moving hours besides Parts 6, 8 and 18. It has such a potent and confident beginning, it's untouchable.

I loved the ending, but Part 17 was marred by the Freddie and Bob fight scene a bit. It was doing such a great job of ratcheting up the tension, but the fight itself was incoherent, ugly and silly. But then the scenes where Cooper travels back to meet Laura are incredible; some of the best ideas the season has had, following some of the worst. Part 18 was stunning and uncompromising.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 are the most cohesive, atmospheric and moving hours besides Parts 6, 8 and 18. It has such a potent and confident beginning, it's untouchable.

I loved the ending, but Part 17 was marred by the Freddie and Bob fight scene a bit. It was doing such a great job of ratcheting up the tension, but the fight itself was incoherent, ugly and silly. But then the scenes where Cooper travels back to meet Laura are incredible; some of the best ideas the season has had, following some of the worst. Part 18 was stunning and uncompromising.
For some reason the Freddy glove scene doesn't really bother me like it does most. Maybe it's because I see the whole thing as a dream anyways.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

mtwentz wrote:Just curious Bob1- which moment of Part 5 was the most satisfying? Becky's moment in the car?
Sorry for replying so late, I can't find any time now for posting - no, no, no, I didn't express myself correctly. I didn't mean a particular moment in Pt.5, I meant that Part 5 as a whole was the one moment when I really felt that it is a great watching experience. Perhaps the only moment when I purely believed it. After a very bad start for me (esp. Pt 2 is for me the definitely worst of all, sorry about that :)), Parts 3 and 4 really made me interested again but there was still too much strangeness that I wasn't sure what was going to result in. And then Part 5 went like, wow! Finally it begins! We had these 4 parts as a long bizarre prologue but now it begins! It's going to be Twin Peaks again! Yes, that's where the music seemed to come back and that's perhaps the ONLY one part where the best scenes actually take part in Twin Peaks: the best Roadhouse scene (Trouble & intruduction of Richard), Jacoby's rant #1, which I loved (not the repetitions, though) and yes, Becky in the car - but also another great scene of "the cow jumped over the moon" (by far the best Mr C scene of all, if not the only one where he really felt special as a character), and a lot of good stuff with DOugie, too.

All in all it was IMO a very very good episode. But then came Pt. 6, which again disappointed me (it was boring for me, as simple as that), and I don't think I ever came back to fully believing that it was going to be as good as I hoped it would. Perhaps after Pt. 8 but then again I didn't like Pt 9, either, so there we go again.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

With the show over, it's harder to remember back to some of the older, plot-heavy episodes and think they're the best because Lynch didn't follow up on anything. The promise of Mr. C, who was so intriguing in Part 2 especially when he killed Darya, and Part 4 when he met the FBI in jail, was wasted. In and of themselves, they're pretty good stuff, though. At this point it goes without saying that Part 8 was the most satisfying, probably the most avant garde thing ever to air on TV. Sadly, it's just a mini-movie to itself since, again, the Woodsmen were just left hanging for the most part, and no return to the apocalyptic ideas or elucidation of why Laura is so special was made.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

IcedOver wrote:With the show over, it's harder to remember back to some of the older, plot-heavy episodes and think they're the best because Lynch didn't follow up on anything. The promise of Mr. C, who was so intriguing in Part 2 especially when he killed Darya, and Part 4 when he met the FBI in jail, was wasted. In and of themselves, they're pretty good stuff, though. At this point it goes without saying that Part 8 was the most satisfying, probably the most avant garde thing ever to air on TV. Sadly, it's just a mini-movie to itself since, again, the Woodsmen were just left hanging for the most part, and no return to the apocalyptic ideas or elucidation of why Laura is so special was made.
I think the key to 'Laura is the one' and it's meaning is in there somewhere. Maybe her scream at the end did save the day?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Parts 2 (or 1 &2), 4, 16, 17, 18.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.