Poll: Choose Your Top 5 Hours/Parts of TPTR

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What are your top 5 favorite parts of TP:TR?

Part 1
4%
Part 2
3%
Part 3
10%
Part 4
2%
Part 5
2%
Part 6
3%
Part 7
2%
Part 8
18%
Part 9
1%
Part 10
1%
Part 11
9%
Part 12
1%
Part 13
1%
Part 14
5%
Part 15
6%
Part 16
9%
Part 17
8%
Part 18
14%

Total votes: 343
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Poll: Choose Your Top 5 Hours/Parts of TPTR

Post by mtwentz »

So many great hours/parts- you can't choose just one, can you?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Re: Poll: Choose Your Top 5 Hours/Parts of TPTR

Post by BOB1 »

I chose:

part 3 because The Purple Room was by far the best thing I've seen in The Return

part 5 because it was the most satisfying moment for me as a viewer - I just knew I really liked it and it didn't happen many times later on

part 7 because it was the first time (hardly ever repeated) when I felt I've come back to Twin Peaks

part 11 because of the "Heartbreaking" scene if not anything else and there was a lot of else that I liked a lot

part 16 because Cooper's come back and the way he came back, with all the scenes with his family, with Bushnell, with Mitchum Brothers, was deeply satisfying for me, too

I could have chosen parts 8 and 18, which were by far the most unique ones but I didn't because as much as I respect them artistically, I don't really like them, especially the finale.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

BOB1 wrote:I chose:

part 3 because The Purple Room was by far the best thing I've seen in The Return

part 5 because it was the most satisfying moment for me as a viewer - I just knew I really liked it and it didn't happen many times later on

part 7 because it was the first time (hardly ever repeated) when I felt I've come back to Twin Peaks

part 11 because of the "Heartbreaking" scene if not anything else and there was a lot of else that I liked a lot

part 16 because Cooper's come back and the way he came back, with all the scenes with his family, with Bushnell, with Mitchum Brothers, was deeply satisfying for me, too

I could have chosen parts 8 and 18, which were by far the most unique ones but I didn't because as much as I respect them artistically, I don't really like them, especially the finale.
Just curious Bob1- which moment of Part 5 was the most satisfying? Becky's moment in the car?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
tlk

Post by tlk »

In NO part/icular order
1) ARGENT "2"
2) Whole Beulla seq 'n around
3) GOTTA LIGHT???
4) Glass box - u wanna make out? and what's followed
5) naaah. Can't be arsed there's too many of 'em!!!!!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

tlk wrote:In NO part/icular order
1) ARGENT "2"
2) Whole Beulla seq 'n around
3) GOTTA LIGHT???
4) Glass box - u wanna make out? and what's followed
5) naaah. Can't be arsed there's too many of 'em!!!!!
Ha good ones. But by Parts, I meant Episodes here :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 »

1. Part 17
2. Part 11
3. Part 7
4. Part 18
5. Part 15

All 9/10 or higher.
tlk

Post by tlk »

mtwentz wrote:Ha good ones. But by Parts, I meant Episodes here :-)
Haha, I got that! But CBA anyway, choosing whole episodes is even harder :)

anyway, gotta be eps 1,2,8 and around 15-16ish
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

1 -- because Otis says "well look'ee here" and "Mister Cee, MISTER Cee" and looks pleasantly toasted with his nice waxed moustache
3 -- because Mauve Room quirky time effects and ambiance are nice
8 -- because atomic bomb and woodsmen poem are entertaining stuff
17 -- because of the big hoe-down at the Sheriff Station and general BOB-wackin' goofiness but also Cooper's face overlay
18 -- because hot damn that ending was unnerving

I could expand on it but these feel like good enough reasons. Especially 1.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
JohnPalSki
Roadhouse Member

Post by JohnPalSki »

Part 1: because I love the opening and the whole glass box/Experiment

Part 7: because Of Diane, the creepiness of Bad Coop in jail

Part 9: Because of the scenes in the police station in Vegas, and the Briggs family, and the ant symbol

Part 14: Andy, the Fireman, and Jackrabbits Palace

Part 15: we finally get to see Above the Convenience Store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Pal
---------------------
"Don't expect a turkey dog here."
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

8 - Amazingly powerful running on its imagery and iconography (pieced together from both the real world and that of Twin Peaks) alone

18 - My second favorite hour; completely gutting and capable of being read any number of satisfying ways, with a resolution that locked several pieces of the show into place for me and that I like even more the more I think about it -- horror and small hints of hope are both heavy here; the mystery is ongoing

15 - Drew tears from me twice, brought together a few pieces of the series' symbology beautifully, and had probably my favorite ending of any of the eighteen parts

17 - The Fire Walk With Me scenes Jesus Christ. Laura reaching out to Cooper, and the way the scene recontextualized the purpose of him having appeared "twenty-five years older" during their shared dream in the original run drew tears from me.

6 - A sleeper episode that I think is one of the stronger ones; both Dougie-Cooper's drawing scene and the hit-and-run are haunting. Red's scene is also a strong one, and I like the Road House performance both tonally and taken on its own.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Cipher wrote:8 - Amazingly powerful running on its imagery and iconography (pieced together from both the real world and that of Twin Peaks) alone

18 - My second favorite hour; completely gutting and capable of being read any number of satisfying ways, with a resolution that locked several pieces of the show into place for me and that I like even more the more I think about it -- horror and small hints of hope are both heavy here; the mystery is ongoing

15 - Drew tears from me twice, brought together a few pieces of the series' symbology beautifully, and had probably my favorite ending of any of the eighteen parts

17 - The Fire Walk With Me scenes Jesus Christ. Laura reaching out to Cooper, and the way the scene recontextualized the purpose of him having appeared "twenty-five years older" during their shared dream in the original run drew tears from me.

6 - A sleeper episode that I think is one of the stronger ones; both Dougie-Cooper's drawing scene and the hit-and-run are haunting. Red's scene is also a strong one, and I like the Road House performance both tonally and taken on its own.
I agree, 6 does not get enough love. Not sure the drawing scene works for me on multiple re-watches, but the Red-Richard and Richard Hit and Run scenes are among my favorites.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Here are the rankings so far:

1. Part 8
2. Part 18
3. Part 3
4. Part 16
5. Part 17

Close on the heels of Part 17 is Part 11.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

Wow, this is hard.

Probably:
1) Part 8
2) Part 18
3) Part 16
4) Part 3
5) Part 15

Curious how it will change upon rewatching it all.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I need to do a massive rewatch ASAP but for now I'm gonna go with 3, 5, 8, 11 and 18.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

Having only seen it once and going off memory:

1) Part 18. A finale worthy of Twin Peaks and Lynch's filmography - mysterious, disorienting and chilling, and the thing that will keep us talking about Twin Peaks for decades (if its over). I also loved Part 17, except for the Freddie/Bob fight, which kept 17 from making the cut.

2) Part 8. A truly glorious hour of television, that elevated the series from its interesting and exciting start to something beyond. Images that will be burned into TV's iconography forever.

3) Part 14. It was hard to choose between this and Parts 15/16. This may change on re-watches, but Part 14 just had such striking sequences, and felt like the start of a truly brilliant run to the finale. The Naido/Woods and Sarah Palmer sequences were stunning. Only thing letting it down was introduction of Freddy character. I didn't actually mind his introduction, just what he was used for since.

4) Part 2. I watched them edited together, so I kind of chose this as a cipher for both. Chose Part 2 because of Hastings, the evolution of the Arm, Laura, the NYC box sequence, and the Roadhouse outro. Parts 1 and 2 contained so much new mystery, so much potential and so many possibilites, not all of which they fulfilled, but it was such a wonderful return. It felt expanded in exciting and crazy ways. Hearing the theme come back made me cry, as did seeing the Log Lady.

5) Part 11. Particularly for the Becky/Shelly/Bobby scenes, but also for the 'Heartbreaking' ending sequence. I also loved the ominousness of Hawk telling Frank about the symbol of Blue Pine mountain, although that sadly came to nothing. I didn't hugely care for the Mitchum brothers/Dougie storyline but may enjoy it more on rewatch. I probably prefer Parts 15 and 16 to this one, but the Becky/Shelly/Bobby scenes really stuck out in my mind.

Least favourites: Parts 9, 10 and 12. Think 12 may seem a lot better on re-watches though, given Audrey's eventual arc.