The Roadhouse scenes performances (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MysteryMan14
Roadhouse Member

Re: The Roadhouse scenes performances (SPOILERS)

Post by MysteryMan14 »

After two new episodes it's time to come back to this thread:

end of Part 12 Chromatics * * *
When I have heard this for the First time I didnt enjoy this but after rewatching I've changed my mind and I've found this one pretty good. It wasnt as much good as 'Shadow' but still nice to my ears though.

end of Part 13 James 'Just you' Hurley * * * *
I always liked this song and I dont know why people hate this one. Im very glad that Lynch gave us an opportunity to hear this once again and I mean it :D
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Next can we have Big Ed singing 'On Top of Old Smokey'?

Thanks.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Novalis wrote:Next can we have Big Ed singing 'On Top of Old Smokey'?

Thanks.
I hope he keeps the vibrato!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

For those who haven't been following Dean Hurley's KEXP interviews, he provided some insight into the song selection:

DKL/Hurley specifically wanted "Shadow" for the show and reached out to Johnny Jewel. He then followed up by sending them a ton of new material he was working on, and they took their pick.

Similarly, Hurley introduced DKL to Sharon Van Etten with a KEXP live set she did, and DKL fell in love with the stripped-down version of "Tarifa" from that show. He wanted that specific song, remixed to match the live version as closely as possible.

In contrast, DKL simply wanted Reznor on the show in any capacity, and Reznor selected "She's Gone Away" as his submission.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

so far BOB1 wrote:end of Part 2 - James/ Shelly - the band is called: Chromatics * * * * 1/2

end of Part 3 - The Cactus Blossoms * * *

end of Part 4 - Au revoir Simone * * *

end of Part 5 - no smoking - Trouble * * * * * !

end of Part 6 - Sharon van Etten * *

end of Part 7 - floor sweeping - name of band...??? * * * 1/2

not-the-end of Part 8 - Nine Inch Nails * * * * 1/4

end of Part 9 - Hudson Mohawke/ the rash/ Au revoir Simone #2 * * * * 1/2

end of Part 10 - Rebekah del Rio * * 1/2
Let's go on:

end of Part 11 - not at the Roadhouse/ Dougie, Mitchums, Candies and a cherry pie - a pianist playing Angelo Badalamenti * * * * *
Absolutely great and one of The Return's finest scenes altogether. At the same time touching (the look on Dougie's face!), funny (Candie!!) and riveting (it's great how the music works here and why don't we have more music in this show? :( ). And the cherry pie... damn good! Someone said it was the perfect moment for Coop to finally wake up. Not sure about that but a perfect moment it sure was!

end of Part 12 - some people talking - Chromatics *
And that, opposite to above, was one of the most useless scenes so far. The armpit rash girl was probably equally useless but a) their scene had some tension and mystery plus it made you react strongly due to the rash, b) it was earlier so I was more willing to give it a credit - here I have no idea who the girls were (or the guy who turned up), what they were talking about, what were the numerous names they mentioned in that conversation. Moreover, the song was the worst for me so far. I cannot find anything above the said one star.

end of Part 13 - Roadhouse proudly presents... - James Hurley! * * * *
Now that was a good laugh. Dunno if it wasn't too much of an easy laugh, like, let's trick them, give the same introduction that we used in the most unusual episode for the most unusual performance and give them Just You And I , yuppie! :mrgreen: Whatever, I buy the joke and it was nice meeting James again, he's always been cool.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Northman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Northman »

So much great stuff!
Thoroughly enjoyed cactus blossoms - Mississippi, Sharon van etten - Tarifa, the nine inch nails - she's gone, chromatics - shadow and james who delivered a totally earnest, blessedly void of ironic distance, beautiful 'just you'
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I don't know about 'blessedly void of ironic distance'. Even in the second series, the melody line straight out of the 50s and the falsetto-castrato vocals signalled a complete disconnect from the contemporary.

Overlooking that, such a perfect repetition in 2017 does carry some meta-semantic freight. Repetition is always significant, because the redundancy of the repeated itself comes to the foreground. It's like saying yes twice to a question already answered. It adds something beside the function of answering, something surplus. That's what this song did for me; it burdened the film with the weight of another redundant scene. This is not a bad thing, since it comments on all kinds of things, especially the way time is framed conceptually within the show.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

So I liked Lissie's song well enough, but I have a feeling she's really going to regret the way she lip-synched. Her lips were very distracting, even though I was mostly swearing out loud that another hour had passed.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

As far as the more recent performances, I can't say I was too much of a fan of any. I didn't know at first that that was Rebekah Del Rio, but thought it might be. I'm not a fan of the "MD" scene. The song sounded like someone doing a Lynch/Badalamenti imitation, but it turns out it's a Lynch song. I thought her vocal performance was pretty overwrought, and her expressions while performing were annoying. Still, the song probably fits in with the themes of the show better than the others selected. The idea of the past being idealized while the present is "no stars" is kind of a microcosm of the show itself, and perhaps Lynch's worldview to a certain extent.

Reusing the "Just You" song with no alterations was kind of lazy. I sure hope Julee doesn't just sing (lip sync) one of her old songs with no alterations (i.e., not re-recorded), and would prefer it to be a new song.

The Lissie song was totally out of place, but I've had it in my head all day.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Just a general observation regarding the roadhouse music performances. Something 'referendum' posted in another thread how much footage could be cut (or reused) with the combined amount of time spent on them -- prompted me to reflect on any given director's prerogative to include these interludes for one's own purpose, as obscured as that purpose may be from the viewer..

I found myself watching "Limbo" during the interim when we waited 2 weeks between TP:TR parts/ episodes. I used to be a John Sayles fan, and I still enjoy most of his early work, haven't kept up with anything more recent than Sunshine State though.

Anyway: Limbo is a favorite and I own a copy. I don't want to spoil the ending (heh) if anyone here hasn't watched it. But I would like to point out how much time Sayles allowed for one scene of Mary Eliz Mastroianno singing a full song and maybe more during this wedding party scene. Her character's band was the hired performer for the wedding, maybe one plot point or two were assisted by showing her singing at it; and I think later on she's singing at a club with the full song indulged in, not many cuts to dialogue between Straithairn and Kristofferson except briefly.. Now I don't care for the actress personally or her singing especially, so maybe it's a bone I pick with it on a individual level. However, it reminds me that DKL is hardly the only film artist to put these in such full-length features. And Sayles was notorious for foregoing significant percentage of salary/ profits if he could retain the privilege of having his own say on the final product.

That's all, just a comparison. (Y'all should see about watching Limbo if you haven't yet)~
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I like the interpretation of the Roadhouse table conversations as a new version of Invitation to Love. I've had something like that in mind for some time and someone nailed it for me in another thread. Of course the main difference would be that in Invitation to Love we had three characters or so that would turn up all over again acting out their soap opera dramas, while at the Roadhouse there are always some new people, we don't know who they are and even more, we don't know what they are talking about. But there is something similar about those scenes and Invitation, they have a soap opera-esque feel to them, I don't know... Just a different subgenre of soap opera ;)
With this in mind plus being aware that it really doesn't matter AT ALL who they are talking about, I rewatched the Pt. 12 ending, which I had evaluated very low:
BOB1 wrote: end of Part 12 - some people talking - Chromatics *
And that, opposite to above, was one of the most useless scenes so far. The armpit rash girl was probably equally useless but a) their scene had some tension and mystery plus it made you react strongly due to the rash, b) it was earlier so I was more willing to give it a credit - here I have no idea who the girls were (or the guy who turned up), what they were talking about, what were the numerous names they mentioned in that conversation. Moreover, the song was the worst for me so far. I cannot find anything above the said one star.
It seemed slightly better to me now. Not good still, though. Just that "one star" suggests that it's painful to watch and so - I think it kind of was painful for me these two or three weeks ago, especially after the Audrey scene which seriously distracted me (if not depressed). Now it's just a bit dull... Let's say * *

end of Part 14 - another two girls chatting - Lissie * * *
Well, quite quite. There was something different I think in comparison to other table chats - no music was playing when they were talking. Only then Lissie was announced but there was no more talking then. Probably that's because she's a star (though I haven't head about her till today, which is true for all the artists except NIN and James Hurley ;)). Well, so another pointless soap opera talk, this time we had some clue (Billy, Tina) but it doesn't make the talk more point-ful, does it? Like I stated before, I am accepting the formula, so let them talk, the scene was kind of entertaining. And the performance? Not bad, however very un-peaksy. The Chromatics and Au revoir had the dreaminess, here this Lissy was like taken out of a different world. It was quite a stimulating difference, though, so generally I was fine with the scene.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
MysteryMan14
Roadhouse Member

Post by MysteryMan14 »

Ok it's time to back to my rating as another two episodes were aired.

end of Part 14 - Lissie * * *
As BOB1 mentioned before this Lissie's performance was like taken out of a different world. At the first glace It was too much pop as for the Roadhouse standards but personally for me It worked nice even though that she was lip-synching, moreover I went on youtube and listened the song a couple of times even though it's not kind of music I like.

end of Part 15 - The Veil * * *
I give three stars not because of the song which I didnt like too much but all these scene with this young woman and bikers was so much funny and later creepy as hell.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

end of Part 15 - the catatonic girls - The Veils * * * * 1/2

That was a VERY strong point this time. While I sort of got used to the soap opera character of the Roadhouse scenes, they sure have been overtalked so it was a pleasant surprise to have an almost speechless scene this week. And the catatonic girl's scream at the end really impressed me. All of it surrounded by a song that I liked a lot and which seemed to fit the scene very well.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

BOB1 wrote:end of Part 15 - the catatonic girls - The Veils * * * * 1/2

That was a VERY strong point this time. While I sort of got used to the soap opera character of the Roadhouse scenes, they sure have been overtalked so it was a pleasant surprise to have an almost speechless scene this week. And the catatonic girl's scream at the end really impressed me. All of it surrounded by a song that I liked a lot and which seemed to fit the scene very well.
Not sure if it's been posted or not already but:
Axolotl by The Veils wrote:[Verse]
I'm glowing bright, obsidian
Axolotl amphibian
Un-elemental chemical
Got me growing six black tentacles
A little nightmarish, a little maudlin
Good golly go get that kid some laudanum
Salvation's more than I can afford
Who needs the Devil when you've got the Lord?

[Chorus]
Oh my soul
Losing control
Who built this heart?
Oh my God

[Verse]
Now sister Maggie's coming in fleet-foot
Baby's got a belly full of black soot
I got the feeling I better just stay put
And she'll love you better than any real man could
An accidental amphibian
I'm growing giddy as a Gideon
Another head for the chopping board
Who needs the Devil when you've got the Lord?

[Chorus]
Oh my soul
Losing control
Who built this heart?
Oh my God
Say what you like about how stupid the frontman may or may not act/look, that is some good toonage. I would watch this scene standalone just for the music in fact, although the visuals with Ruby adds a lot. So yes, I agree: So very yrev fitting.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Novalis wrote:Say what you like about how stupid the frontman may or may not act/look
Who says that? I don't think there was anything stupid about it and I prefer his lively performance to the Chromatics singer's bored face.

My favourite performances are:
1. The Veils - Axolotl
2. Au Revoir Simone - A Violent Yet Flammable World
3. The Cactus Blossoms - Mississippi

I didn't really like any of the other songs, but Lissie and Rebekah Del Rio were the worst. Del Rio's song could have been nice, the beginning reminded me of the original series, but her voice was too loud and made listening to the song unbearable.