The Roadhouse scenes performances (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: The Roadhouse scenes performances (SPOILERS)

Post by claaa7 »

Rebekah del Rio and Nine Inch Nails are the only tracks performed that i went back without the context of a rewatch.
MysteryMan14
Roadhouse Member

Post by MysteryMan14 »

It's time for me:
end of Part 2 - James/ Shelly - the band is called: Chromatics * * * *
Very good song and all this scene from Roadhouse.

end of Part 3 - The Cactus Blossoms *
I dont like It at all.. I dont know why but whole this performance wasnt my cup of tea.

end of Part 4 - Au revoir Simone *
The same I didnt enjoy this At all.

end of Part 5 - no smoking - Trouble * * * * *
Yes! This is It! I love this scene with Richard and this song. It was kind of the Pink room from FWWM.

end of Part 6 - Sharon van Etten *
I was disappointed the song didnt work for me At all.

not-the-end of Part 8 - Nine Inch Nails * * *
It was good but too long for me. I get It like a some kind of introduction to this epic episode.

end of Part 9 - Au revoir Simone #2 * * *
Much more better song than their first one.

end of Part 10 - Rebekah del Rio * *
The song is pretty good but the voice of Rebekah was too loud for my ears and as It was with NiN it was too long.

end of part 11 - Angelo Badalamenti * * * *
Love It!
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Woops! Got myself spoiled! So it's Angelo in Part 11? :D Still haven't managed to see it...

Meanwhile came here to say that...
claaa7 wrote:Rebekah del Rio and Nine Inch Nails are the only tracks performed that i went back without the context of a rewatch.
... it's the opposite for me. I do come back to those performances without the context and perhaps even enjoy them more this way. Like, when I'm working or writing on a message board, I often play these Roadhouse songs from youtube and I really like it. Including Rebekah and Nine Inch Nails of course, althought I've got to say that my youtube favourite would be the second one from Au revoir... (Violent Yet Flammable World). And as much as I was disappointed with this episode (Pt 9 it was), I find the Roadhouse scene, with the two girls and the horrible armpit rash, and the song really great!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

- The Chromatics have been the best act on the show for me by far, one that actually felt integral to the events unfolding around them, contributing heavily to how moving
the ending of Parts 1 & 2 was. I couldn't sleep (having to stay up really late in the UK) after the premiere, and that song was going around and around..

- The Cactus Blossoms were not as gripping as The Chromatics, but I enjoyed the song enough. It didn't carry the same emotional core as before, but I don't feel that was the
intention. After so dramatic an episode, it was kind of nice to have a laid-back song I guess.

- Both Au Revoir Simone performances were dreadful for me. A really gutless group, totally lacking in personality. They felt removed from the events, like they were playing
in their own heads."we fold like icicles on paper shelves"? Please.

- Trouble were great, really punishing and weird.

- I've never really felt Sharon Van Etten's music. Suitably distant Pitchfork sponsored Indie-rock for me.

- NIN were really powerful, a nice change of pace from the misty-eyed groups we'd seen so far. But, it went on too long, and the sound was kind of hard to make out.

- Hudson Mohawke could have had more of an opportunity instead of Au Revoir Simone again, but the sex noises and EDM farting just wasn't ever going to gel.

- Rebekah Del Rio's song had beautiful melodies, but went on too long. And her compressed, or pitch-corrected vocals are more and more distracting upon re-watching.

- Badalamenti's piece wasn't really a Roadhouse performance, like Johnny Jewel's Windswept, but besides The Chromatics, these two tracks were my favourites.
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

I can listen to Sharon Van Etten - Tarifa - all day. I've liked most of the Roadhouse performances, but this one stands out.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:- The Chromatics have been the best act on the show for me by far, one that actually felt integral to the events unfolding around them, contributing heavily to how moving
the ending of Parts 1 & 2 was. I couldn't sleep (having to stay up really late in the UK) after the premiere, and that song was going around and around..

- The Cactus Blossoms were not as gripping as The Chromatics, but I enjoyed the song enough. It didn't carry the same emotional core as before, but I don't feel that was the
intention. After so dramatic an episode, it was kind of nice to have a laid-back song I guess.

- Both Au Revoir Simone performances were dreadful for me. A really gutless group, totally lacking in personality. They felt removed from the events, like they were playing
in their own heads."we fold like icicles on paper shelves"? Please.

- Trouble were great, really punishing and weird.

- I've never really felt Sharon Van Etten's music. Suitably distant Pitchfork sponsored Indie-rock for me.

- NIN were really powerful, a nice change of pace from the misty-eyed groups we'd seen so far. But, it went on too long, and the sound was kind of hard to make out.

- Hudson Mohawke could have had more of an opportunity instead of Au Revoir Simone again, but the sex noises and EDM farting just wasn't ever going to gel.

- Rebekah Del Rio's song had beautiful melodies, but went on too long. And her compressed, or pitch-corrected vocals are more and more distracting upon re-watching.

- Badalamenti's piece wasn't really a Roadhouse performance, like Johnny Jewel's Windswept, but besides The Chromatics, these two tracks were my favourites.
Mostly agree with these assessments. My one point of difference would be that I didn't mind Au Revoir Simone at all, although I wouldn't rate them super-high. I've listened to all these pieces as stand-alone music as well, and would rank them as stand-alone music very similarly to how I'd rank them as used in context. There are none that I wouldn't listen to for pleasure, although my clear favourites here would be NIN, Trouble, Badalamenti, Chromatics, the Cactus Blossoms and Au Revoir Simone.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:"we fold like icicles on paper shelves"? Please.
You're right :D And I REALLY like it! The words are completely meaningless yet for me - truly beautiful. And that's what it's all about :)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
MysteryMan14
Roadhouse Member

Post by MysteryMan14 »

Sorry for the confusion, Badalamenti's song wasnt at the Roadhouse but I assumed that this one is worth to add It to this thread. And Im sorry if I've spoiled It wasnt my intention :oops:
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

C'mon, it's my problem, not yours! If I didn't want it, I wouldn't be lurking around the board. I don't really have much of a problem with spoilers anyway. Last week I was away and couldn't watch either Twin Peaks or Game of Thrones, which didn't stop me from reading reviews of episodes (although I did avoid any elements of summary).
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

Part 12 was Chromatics doing Saturday from Johnny Jewel's Windwept album...the album version is better and has Ruth singing. It's a little spare love song and it's great. Cheating and ambivalence...seems appropriate in the wake of Audrey's scene and the gossiping Roadhouse girls. Chromatics, Rebekah, hopefully Julee soon. That would do it for me.
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

My thoughts on James:

Fuck, time for the Roadhouse already.
Fuck, it's the MC announcing some big unPeaksy act.
Whaaaaaaaaa???
Really??
Lol
Wait, he's gonna do it the same way?
Huh.
Aww, she's crying.
I'm crying.
I love Twin Peaks.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Hercousin wrote:My thoughts on James:

Fuck, time for the Roadhouse already.
Fuck, it's the MC announcing some big unPeaksy act.
Whaaaaaaaaa???
Really??
Lol
Wait, he's gonna do it the same way?
Huh.
Aww, she's crying.
I'm crying.
I love Twin Peaks.
Exactly my thoughts!!! :mrgreen: So sweet my teeth ached, and absolved of the hokey with the earnest
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

My two cents:

Favourite song in the Road House so far for me is The Chromatics, ending of Part 2. NIN in Part 8 in a close second Place.
Also enjoyed both Au Revoir Simone performances.
Least favourite so far: Rebekah del Rio. I don't know why, but it just didn't work for me...
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

The 6/8 melody and castrato vocals 'Just You' song annoyed the heck out of me in the original series too. In an amusing way, of course. I'd call it pathetic, as in excessive pathos, melodramatic; saccharine-sickly. What I did like was the menacing, growling undertone that crept into the sound design as the camera pans to Donna and Maddy singing the backing. Here (part 13) that was paralleled not by the actual backing group (who were as far as I can tell two anonymous characters with 2017 Groucho-Marx eyebrows*) but by miss lonely heart tearing up at the table.

*Maybe I'm getting old and have no room to talk. Back in my day we tied onions to our belts, 'which was the style at the time'.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I vastly preferred the most recent Chromatics performance. It fit the mood better, didn't feel abrasively cheesy like the previous one.