General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome) (SPOILERS)

Post by Panapaok »

The walking looks that way because it's probably done backwards..
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Panapaok wrote:The walking looks that way because it's probably done backwards..
That's possible. Although, from what I recall they walked rather speedily, I am not sure if one can walk backwards fast like that.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome) (SPOILERS)

Post by Panapaok »

boske wrote:
Panapaok wrote:The walking looks that way because it's probably done backwards..
That's possible. Although, from what I recall they walked rather speedily, I am not sure if one can walk backwards fast like that.
Laura is definitely walking backwards, you can tell by her movement. Slowly of course. My guess is that Coop and Gerard are doing the same, hence the weird walking. Pretty much all of their movements are clearly done backwards, that's why I guess it's the same when they walk.
boske
Great Northern Member

Re: RE: Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome) (SPOILERS)

Post by boske »

Panapaok wrote:
boske wrote:
Laura is definitely walking backwards, you can tell by her movement. Slowly of course. My guess is that Coop and Gerard are doing the same, hence the weird walking. Pretty much all of their movements are clearly done backwards, that's why I guess it's the same when they walk.
Laura, yes, definitely.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

On the topic of golden shovels, pretty much everybody started analyzing them right away looking for some deeper meaning. But what if there isn't any? What if what we saw is what we were going to get? Fake gold from a snake oil salesman.

If it stays that way, it will be one of those clues hidden in plain sight what this season could be really about. It would have been more obvious had we had nine shovels, but then it would have been more obvious. And watching each showel painted and dried from both sides would give us eighteen parts.

This may very well be a stretch, I hope so actually. Five shovels, each thirty bucks, gives one hundred and fifty bucks, not bad. Pure genius.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

boske wrote:On the topic of golden shovels, pretty much everybody started analyzing them right away looking for some deeper meaning. But what if there isn't any? What if what we saw is what we were going to get? Fake gold from a snake oil salesman.

If it stays that way, it will be one of those clues hidden in plain sight what this season could be really about. It would have been more obvious had we had nine shovels, but then it would have been more obvious. And watching each showel painted and dried from both sides would give us eighteen parts.

This may very well be a stretch, I hope so actually. Five shovels, each thirty bucks, gives one hundred and fifty bucks, not bad. Pure genius.
I believe those shovels will feed into the larger narrative, but if not, they would be like the drape runners in the original series.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, Becky's clothes mimic original Dougie's: White shirt and Amber jacket. Both have Crimson red in the background, Becky the leather car seat, Dougine the lodge curtains. Wonder if Becky gets the ring next?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I have no issue with the Red Room scenes. Yes, they're weirder and have more scope; that's to be expected in 2017. I have never been more captivated by a sequence in there than I was when Laura came walking over in the premiere. Granted, part of that was because I literally didn't believe what I was seeing after 25+ years.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I loved that scene too! And I'm fine with the scenes themselves for the most part. My issues are more with the look of the room, mainly the curtains and how bright it is. I think it affects the vibe. Just rewatching some of "The Missing Pieces" at the moment - and the difference in red rooms is really startling. It looked so much better then imo.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

N. Needleman wrote:I have never been more captivated by a sequence in there than I was when Laura came walking over in the premiere. Granted, part of that was because I literally didn't believe what I was seeing after 25+ years.
Yeah, that was riveting for me too. I also loved that it ended on a different note from the dream sequence in Ep. 2. Cooper was disturbed from what Laura whispered to him and she seemed to be facing the consequences of revealing a secret to him. A mesmerising and horrifying scene.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

boske wrote:On the topic of golden shovels, pretty much everybody started analyzing them right away looking for some deeper meaning. But what if there isn't any? What if what we saw is what we were going to get? Fake gold from a snake oil salesman.

You might be right- but I suspect that they do have deeper meaning- maybe only symbolic- I'm really intrigued how the various interlocking parts of the series are going to tie together- or not tie together. I'm definitely going to re-watch the whole thing when it's over- after a suitable recovery time- maybe a month or two.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Jonah wrote:I loved that scene too! And I'm fine with the scenes themselves for the most part. My issues are more with the look of the room, mainly the curtains and how bright it is. I think it affects the vibe. Just rewatching some of "The Missing Pieces" at the moment - and the difference in red rooms is really startling. It looked so much better then imo.
I miss the strobes. Then again maybe that will be saved for something.

Not like DKL lost his love of strobes. He was lighting up his son's band with strobes like crazy.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Jerry Horne wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:

Fair enough. I mean I can see your point. At least with something like Star Wars, I understand why people would want someone else taking the reigns from George Lucas. I'm pretty sure I'm going to find whatever Rian Johnson does with Star Wars more interesting than what Lucas did with the prequels.

But for me, Lynch is on a different level. He's a singularly unique cinematic artist, on the level of Kubrick. I haven't been very impressed by attempts by other directors to do Kubrick. I'm not sure 2010 even tried, but when a director with the chops of Steven Spielberg can't do Kubrick, probably nobody but Kubrick can do Kubrick. And it's the same with Lynch. For me, there are some good non Lynch directed episodes of the original series, but the Lynch directed stuff is on another level entirely.
I can see what you're saying. I loved what Lynch brought to the old seasons. And I would've agreed with you until the new season aired.

Just on a side note, the reason I think this season really suffers- is the lack of intimacy.

The old twin peaks was totally voyeristic, with the camera stuck up Shelleys skirt...
Damn. I missed that episode.
Lol

I'm referring to an early episode with Bobby and Shelley driving, (the camera is not literally up anyone's skirt) I can remember an interview with one of them saying how Lynch was in the car with them, right at their feet filming. It's a cool low angled shot. But my point was more that the old series does everything to get you really close to characters. Where 'The Return' does everything in its power to distance the viewer from everyone. I know it's deliberate, but it crafts an experience on such a polar opposite to the original.

One is pure invitation and titlation-- the other is isolation and disgust.
Obviously I prefer the original
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Jerry Horne wrote:
I can see what you're saying. I loved what Lynch brought to the old seasons. And I would've agreed with you until the new season aired.

Just on a side note, the reason I think this season really suffers- is the lack of intimacy.

The old twin peaks was totally voyeristic, with the camera stuck up Shelleys skirt...
Lol

I'm referring to an early episode with Bobby and Shelley driving, (the camera is not literally up anyone's skirt) I can remember an interview with one of them saying how Lynch was in the car with them, right at their feet filming. It's a cool low angled shot. But my point was more that the old series does everything to get you really close to characters. Where 'The Return' does everything in its power to distance the viewer from everyone. I know it's deliberate, but it crafts an experience on such a polar opposite to the original.

Are you convinced the distance and isolation will be there for the rest of the season? If we do get close to the characters later on, would you be open to it possibly being more meaningful because of the isolation and distance that's been established early on?
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

AgentEcho wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
Lol

Are you convinced the distance and isolation will be there for the rest of the season? If we do get close to the characters later on, would you be open to it possibly being more meaningful because of the isolation and distance that's been established early on?
Sure.
Either way I'm going to watch it.
But I'd certainly enjoy it more with a restored Cooper and amped up liveliness