General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

enumbs
RR Diner Member

Re: General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Post by enumbs »

I agree with Audrey that a lot of season 1’s personality came from Peyton, and the inspiration he drew from classic film. There’s a snappiness and slickness to those episodes that season 3 completely lacks, for better or worse.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

sylvia_north wrote: It’s not in the desert, for one. It was a facade built in the area where the rest of the WA scenes were shot, that dematerializes into thin air or may not physically exist on planet Earth at all. The Trinity test was in New Mexico. Doom Town was Nevada, you could see the explosions from the Vegas strip.

I’m certain everyone who lived through the 50’s and 60’s knew exactly what the NV National Security site looked like. L/F had to do duck and cover drills in school like all American kids did, nuclear war was a very real, immediate psychological horror. This video interrupted a regular 1956 television broadcast, scaring the shit out of everyone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkhNED3-mnI
Doom Town the documentary came out in 1953, footage was in all the newsreels. Of course DL knew what they looked like.

What would the point of prop-like houses for a real test be? If someone doesn’t give a shit about authenticity, why would they build a thing to suggest a thing they’re imitating? Sorry I just don’t think there’s enough evidence. The building manifests in Twin Peaks. The only thing prop-like about the Doom Town test buildings were the dummies in them. The convenience store has no vinyl siding, because its old.

There’s a better backstory for the logging men and a gas station. Probably something to do with deforestation and petrol, or just a mid century artifact like the motor court style motel of the Red Diamond. Motor hotels and car culture facilitated crime and adultery (think Psycho, Lolita.) The gas station and the motel of the 50’s-60’s go hand in hand, and directly precede the Golden Age of the serial killer as highways were built. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180963895/ That’s where my mind goes, personally.

I also think the facade sells fine. A bunch of mute woodsmen farting about under flashing lights is what looks cheap to me. A bunch of them doing the necromancy dance over Mr C is far less creepy and intriguing than just the two in FWWM. I guess the uniformity of the look is necessary, but it’s new. We know some woodsmen do not look like that.
Alright, you know more about the topic than I do. It just felt so right when watching it, and it's been pretty firmly lodged in my headcanon for a while. Maybe I was a little too overconfident in my interpretation. I'll have to keep your points in mind for whenever I next watch it.

About the Woodsmen, honestly I was never the biggest fan of how they looked in FWWM. I love the scene but they look a bit out of place, in the wrong way. Maybe it's the fake beards. (I like the "woodsman" in the background in Hap's though)
Anyway, I disagree about the creepiness. Reminiscent of the bum in Mulholland, and to me evokes the feeling they belong to the "dark", and that they're carrying darkness around with them, as if they're wearing it. Love the way the Woodsman emerges from the night, and disappears back into it, in Part 8.
I'll see you in the trees
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

enumbs wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:16 am I agree with Audrey that a lot of season 1’s personality came from Peyton, and the inspiration he drew from classic film. There’s a snappiness and slickness to those episodes that season 3 completely lacks, for better or worse.
Though in my post last night I said Peyton and Engels, I agree with this sentiment too - if I had to only pick one additional writer to include in a 'what if' S3 scenario, would definitely have to be Peyton. Easily (for me, anyway).

His presence - or at least my gut is telling me this - is most noticeably absent whenever Miguel Ferrer has any dialogue in S3. Ferrer still absolutely knocked it out of the park & his character having a lot of his 'snappiness' or 'edge' (or what-have-you) faded due to growing older/dealing with grim circumstances involving old comrades makes total sense... but he's still missing that overall verbosity, regardless.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Rainwater wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:31 pm Anyway, I disagree about the creepiness. Reminiscent of the bum in Mulholland, and to me evokes the feeling they belong to the "dark", and that they're carrying darkness around with them, as if they're wearing it.
Almost as if their faces are singed/covered with soot from being too close to an explosion/fire.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

eyeboogers wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:19 am
Rainwater wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:31 pm Anyway, I disagree about the creepiness. Reminiscent of the bum in Mulholland, and to me evokes the feeling they belong to the "dark", and that they're carrying darkness around with them, as if they're wearing it.
Almost as if their faces are singed/covered with soot from being too close to an explosion/fire.
Them covered in soot from fire is a great idea, and seems obvious when you say it, but I don't know if I ever made that connection before. Nice
I'll see you in the trees
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

was always obvious to me, specially as no one talked about it.
some are over analyzing, trying to connect dots that don't exist- but some disappointed about being disappointed lose the plot as well

everybody's right and wrong anyway, happy day
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The discussion on the possible deleted scene is so fascinating, it deserves its own thread:
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4347
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.