References in the Return to Lynch's Non-TP Works (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: References in the Return to Lynch's Non-TP Works (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

When describing his car accident, Trick (Scott Coffey) puts his hand out flat in the air, very similar to the gesture Nick "Malcolm Sloan" Love makes as the Man in Wheelchair in W@H when describing his own car accident ("Same fucking thing happened to me!!").
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Thatfabulousalien wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Thatfabulousalien wrote:He's definitely incorporating or repurposing Ronnie Rocket and Mulholland Drive
Definitely think we're gonna see a lot of RR. Reversed electrical currents leading to something being "wrong" in the universe. Coop's being reborn as a newborn/blank slate parallels Ronnie after his accident.
From what I remember, he started alluding to it in FWWM, so he's definitely going somewhere with it
Yes. I am loving the parralels between Dougie Jones and Ronnie Rocket and the electricity themes. I would of loved to have seen Ronnie Rocket turned into a film.

But having a Twin Peaks season 3 is totally awesome.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

The unproduced 1987 film One Saliva Bubble might be the clue to unlocking one of Twin Peaks’ most polarising new characters
http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandcult ... t-explains
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Having just gotten around to seeing Eraserhead about a month ago, I was readily noticing in TP:TR part 13 when DougieCoop gets up to go to the dessert case at Symonds' and ogle the cherry pie on display - - it's very brief and he's looking mostly away from the camera so I'll need to re-check it, but I thought I saw him making chomping motions with his teeth as if to mimic (in that brainless infantile way of his) the act of eating, to express desire for pie.

It reminded me of Mary while tossing & turning in Henry's bed in Eraserhead, not just grinding her teeth but actually clicking them, biting mannerisms.

The sound effects were much more evident in the film however, with TPTR #13 the reason I almost didn't notice til the scene cut away, both times that I've watched it, was that I only glimpsed him doing this *just* before the camera cut to something else.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

referendum wrote:
The unproduced 1987 film One Saliva Bubble might be the clue to unlocking one of Twin Peaks’ most polarising new characters
http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandcult ... t-explains
ha! that's cool as hell.. i'm sure there's something to that, that Frost and Lynch went back and picked up some of the ideas from their first script together.

from the comments section there:
"Albert even says the line "The Absurd Mystery ofThe Strange Forces of Existence" to Tammy. That line is the subheading of the script title for the other Lynch movie that never was: RONNIE ROCKET OR The Absurd Mystery of The Strange Forces of Existence."

when does Albert say that?
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

claaa7 wrote:http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandcult ... t-explains
from the comments section there:
"Albert even says the line "The Absurd Mystery ofThe Strange Forces of Existence" to Tammy. That line is the subheading of the script title for the other Lynch movie that never was: RONNIE ROCKET OR The Absurd Mystery of The Strange Forces of Existence."

when does Albert say that?
End of Part 3. https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... forces_of/
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The white-gold pool in the woods in Part 14 (the White Lodge equivalent of motor oil?) resembles the milk/semen pool Henry descends into when he gives in to infidelity in Eraserhead.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Part 14: The Vegas FBI head (Jay R. Ferguson)'s exaggerated tantrum at his subordinate reminds me of the pencil factory boss yelling at Paul in Eraserhead.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Episode 15. Mr. C meeting Teapot Jeffries in the motel room. The way Mr. C stares at the wall to reveal Jeffries is reminiscent of Henry Spencer staring into the radiator to reveal the woman behind it in Eraserhead.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma gets the credit for finding this one: DKL's contribution to the 2010 film One Dream Rush has a LOT of resonance with TR's imagery and mythology.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2uDsVi2EU_E
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Even though it wasn't a very well directed or even acted scene, the moment when Janey-E implores Cooper not to go, and he says "I have to go" reminded me of the scene in Blue Velvet in which Sandy pleads with Jeffrey on the phone not to go to Dorothy's. If I'm not mistaken, he also says "I have to."
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

As has been noted in other threads (but not here, I think), the IE DVD has a featurette of DKL making Quinoa and telling a story about a European train ride with Jack Fisk in the late '60s when they stopped over at a soda stand and he saw "frog moths" coming out of the dirt. It's clear from the telling, as well as from his reuse of this motif in his work, that this moment had a huge impact on him.

Garethw pointed out the earlier draft of "Ronny" Rocket available online includes a reference to these creatures when describing a hellish area of the city: "All around in the dirt there are insects which look like a cross between a frog and a moth. These things are flitting and crawling and making hideous sounds. A small dog is outside gagging horribly." (Notably, this is the same script the lyrics to "Under the Sycamore Trees" come from.)

The parallels to DKL's abandoned CD ROM game "Woodcutters from Fiery Ships" have been mentioned: http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/game.html

Wonderful post by Jasper demonstrating how prior DKL photo-manipulations have influenced the "tulpa deaths," Sarah's face removal, and possibly the depiction of the "Experiment": viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3762&start=990#p106771
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The bizarre superimposed giant Coop head for an extended period of Part 17 is from Ronnie Rocket (in that script, it's the Detective's head).
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

Cooper guiding young Laura through the woods by the hand totally reminded of Mulholland Drive where Camilla walks Diane through the woods at night (after meeting her once the limo stops).

In both cases, the sh*t soon after hits the fan for the person being led through the dark forest (Coop loses his grip on Laura's hand and she disappears vs Camilla walking Diane to a party where she is completely humiliated).

As Norm MacDonald said: "Oh f*kk, not the woods! Nothing good ever happens in the woods."
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

"Leave her alone" to the cowboys ("BV") I found to be one of the more overt references.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!