S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Post by Panapaok »

Gabriel wrote:Cooper sacrifices himself to trap himself and Mr C in the Lodge forever. The seed creates a new improved Dougie who returns to Janet-E and Sonny Jim to live happily ever after. Laura Palmer is alive again. Sarah Palmer vomits an evil alien frog thing.

Post-credits, we see a convent in the hills. As we move towards the window of the Mother Superior's room we hear a man and a woman having sex. Mother Superior Annie Blackburn curls up in bed with Sheriff Harry Truman and lights a post-coital cigarette. He kisses her and says, affectionately: 'How's Annie?'

'Oh, I'm fine,' says Annie.

Lynch/Frost logo.
lol
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

Some things dread:

Dougie returns to Janey-E and son; a tulpa sent by good Coop to take his place. (The trickery not sit right for me totally even if Janey-E doesn't want be with). Dougie goes back to work at Lucky 7 insurance with everyone none the wiser as well (again not sit right with me especially after asks boss before tells FBI for his snub nose revolver out of trust).

DoppleCoop dies in some sort of summoning ritual similar to Richard due to ceremony being interrupted without revealing what dopplecoop originally after.

No more answers to any questions.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Forty five minutes of a scenario where Laura is presented as our savior. Tammy explains everything that happens for another half an hour.

Coooer finds a way to have happiness with both JaneyE and Annie. Everyone is very happy except ...Audrey, whose one scene is revealed she is in a nut house and being put into a straitjacket by Surprise Cameo John Justice Wheeler.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Cole is a Tulpa. I fear this above all else. I fear it will come to pass. :cry:

Nah! Who knows! :lol:

I am splitting in 2. :o
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Deep Thought wrote:Cole is a Tulpa. I fear this above all else. I fear it will come to pass. :cry:
We must be on the same wavelength because I was entertaining just this possibility myself.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Rialto
RR Diner Member

Post by Rialto »

Although I haven't been a big fan of all the many minor characters that come and go, people mentioned and left hanging, and unresolved plot threads...

My biggest nightmare is that the last two threads will bring everything together in one giant exposition dump, and explain everything.

I'd rather Coop turn back into Dougie and spend two hours learning to go 'number two', or just two hours of a lost soul falling through space, only to be eaten by the thing from the glass box at the end, than have everything make 'sense' at this point.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

The first 16 parts have changed the things I most dread. I am now really dreading a Coop-Audrey ending, because of what Doppelcoop did. I don't think I can handle the real Coop ending up romantically with her or Diane now.

I also dread Naido turning out to be Laura, Diane, or Audrey in disguise like people have suggested. It would be an uncomfortable callback to the original series Piper Laurie dressed as a Japanese guy subplot, which is the sort of stuff we should probably leave in the 90s.

I'll add my vote to also finding the Replacement Dougie for Vegas uncomfortable, not just because it won't fit with the FBI and Cooper's actions in 16, but because it seems a really hollow consolation to Janey-E and Sonny Jim after they've seen the Real Cooper. And because the Mitchems are coming with Cooper, and that's 5 Vegas characters who would have to be in on this who I don't think would be comfortable with it.

If he avoids those first two things, though, I think I'm good. I think I can live with the Replacement Dougie. Maybe Naido not being Naido. But I don't think I can stomach the first.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

The ending I dread is one that definitively resolves too many questions. Yes, I expect some things answered but not everything; I really dread an ending that shoehorns events into a single interpretation or small number of interpretations of events.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Novalis wrote:The ending I dread is one that definitively resolves too many questions. Yes, I expect some things answered but not everything; I really dread an ending that shoehorns events into a single interpretation or small number of interpretations of events.
Frankly, there are so many plot threads and characters dangling right now that there's no way that, in about 100 minutes of material, they could possibly wrap up all the threads.

Maybe we'll just get a photo montage for the last 100 minutes with a voiceover talking us what happened to everyone.

At the end, Diane shows up and says, breaking the fourth wall: 'Fuck you, fanboys!'
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Completely new as yet unseen or mentioned character in the Black Lodge, and Cole is a bad guy :x
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

I'll add some more:
-Narrative diverts to Laura is the savior akin to Christ's return to earth sort of thing that goes on and on that feels like real departure from original series
-Trying to tie things up with a conventional happy ever after ending also
-The Freddy storyline going out of control diverting things into silliness
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

DoppelBocker wrote:I-The Freddy storyline going out of control diverting things into silliness
Yeh, the thought of Freddy inevitably playing some role in the final two hours is giving me agita.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

I don't feel like there's anything i'm dreading anymore. Obviously there are things I'm looking forward to and would be sad if they're not included in the finale eps, but I don't think I'm dreading anything.
The only thing I dread is if there's a season four that sucks. That's pretty much it.
AxxoN_Jackson

Post by AxxoN_Jackson »

Novalis wrote:The ending I dread is one that definitively resolves too many questions. Yes, I expect some things answered but not everything; I really dread an ending that shoehorns events into a single interpretation or small number of interpretations of events.
You certainly got your wish.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Rialto wrote: My biggest nightmare is that the last two threads will bring everything together in one giant exposition dump, and explain everything.
Your worst nightmare was not realized :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly