S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AJPRR2GO
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Post by AJPRR2GO »

Rudagger wrote:
Jasper wrote: To the people out there who are just pirating The Return, do the right thing, support Twin Peaks and sign up for Showtime. I didn't want to do it, but it felt good supporting this project.

Especially stateside viewers. That's what Showtime would be most concerned about and have the most visible effect on their ratings (though, if Showtime uses Nielson ratings, of which I'm unsure, then you're probably only making an effect on ratings if you're a Nielson family or perhaps by using their streaming service, where they can directly log it .. but, I don't know much about how ratings systems work to be honest!). International ratings are important (as they can negotiate better deals for distribution when a show is in demand), but, it's ultimately tertiary to direct signups for Showtime proper and their ratings.
I'll confess that I pirate the new season. But only so that I can watch it hours after it airs in the states.
I did take out a subscription to NowTV in the UK (which carries Sky Atlantic) so that I could watch the live airing of the premier, and no doubt they will do the same with the finale, so I will be keeping the subscription going until the series ends. So technically, I am supporting the show financially. At least that's what I am telling myself.
Couple that with the massive amounts of merchandise that I've brought over the years and I feel fairly comfortable that I am supporting the new series.

Any other show: I'd just pirate it and care not one bit, sorry.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

AJPRR2GO wrote:I'll confess that I pirate the new season. But only so that I can watch it hours after it airs in the states.
I did take out a subscription to NowTV in the UK (which carries Sky Atlantic) so that I could watch the live airing of the premier, and no doubt they will do the same with the finale, so I will be keeping the subscription going until the series ends. So technically, I am supporting the show financially. At least that's what I am telling myself.
Couple that with the massive amounts of merchandise that I've brought over the years and I feel fairly comfortable that I am supporting the new series.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
NonStopKnits
Roadhouse Member

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Post by NonStopKnits »

I pirate most things, but really didn't wanna do it this time and bribed my mom to buy Showtime for me. So I clean her house once a week to cover the 11$ a month.

I really do like to support creators when I can, and I'm a nerd, so I buy lots of stuff. I have 3 of the Pop figures and my boyfriend has ordered me the action figure set.

One more thing, someone up thread here I think said they wrote Showtime to tell them they only subscribed because of The Return; thanks for the great idea. I have no interest in any of their other shows.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

AJPRR2GO wrote:
Rudagger wrote:
Jasper wrote: To the people out there who are just pirating The Return, do the right thing, support Twin Peaks and sign up for Showtime. I didn't want to do it, but it felt good supporting this project.

Especially stateside viewers. That's what Showtime would be most concerned about and have the most visible effect on their ratings (though, if Showtime uses Nielson ratings, of which I'm unsure, then you're probably only making an effect on ratings if you're a Nielson family or perhaps by using their streaming service, where they can directly log it .. but, I don't know much about how ratings systems work to be honest!). International ratings are important (as they can negotiate better deals for distribution when a show is in demand), but, it's ultimately tertiary to direct signups for Showtime proper and their ratings.
I'll confess that I pirate the new season. But only so that I can watch it hours after it airs in the states.

NowTV airs in sync with the US, every episode, you don't have to wait at all
AJPRR2GO
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Post by AJPRR2GO »

Pinky wrote:
AJPRR2GO wrote:
Rudagger wrote:

How did I not realise this!?!?

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

The ending I dread is a closed ending.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Post by Pinky »

AJPRR2GO wrote:
Pinky wrote:
AJPRR2GO wrote: I'll confess that I pirate the new season. But only so that I can watch it hours after it airs in the states.

How did I not realise this!?!?

enjoy man, hour and a half to go!!

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jerry Horne wrote:The ending I dread is a closed ending.
Exactly.
NonStopKnits
Roadhouse Member

Post by NonStopKnits »

Jasper wrote:
Exactly.
I fear I'm starting to side with y'all, and I really like closure. :/
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

NonStopKnits wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Exactly.
I fear I'm starting to side with y'all, and I really like closure. :/
Well...let's define "closed ending." Are Mulholland Dr & Lost Highway closed endings? They give us all we need to know, and feel self-contained, but leave many questions.

I only fear an open ending inasmuch as it's something that *has* to be followed up on (and then either might not be or might be in a disappointing way). But then again, I'm someone who felt the original series finale & Fire Walk With Me were already "closed" enough so maybe my threshold for that is pretty high and I shouldn't worry.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

What I don't want is an ending where all the loose ends and mysteries are wrapped up and explained. Some of them of course, but we need things to talk about for the next 25 years. Lynch of course seems tuned into this, especially in the Twin Peaks Universe.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Well...let's define "closed ending." Are Mulholland Dr & Lost Highway closed endings? They give us all we need to know, and feel self-contained, but leave many questions.
Yes, I'd say that those are closed endings. My feeling about Twin Peaks is that it should feel like it keeps going on and on, even if we don't see it. I do think this 18-part thing will have an arc and an ending of sorts, but at this point I'm happier with a WTF episode 29 ending than with something that feels more final.

This "film" has really been about Cooper, and I've loved that. I don't expect him to die. It could happen, but I don't expect it. He could end up trapped in the lodge again. That might not be such a bad ending, but I can see this forum burning with rage at that outcome.

Personally, I like Coop in Mad Men land, and I could watch a whole season of it. That's a dangerous admission, but it's the truth. I could see Coop just making it back to TP before the closing credits. Imagine the white hot rage on this forum should that be the outcome. :lol:

I love Twin Peaks, and I love the Twin Peaks mood, and more than anything the woods at night. That said, I'm enjoying this experience so much, that I'm not all that worried about this being all about the town itself.

I'd like a second installment where Cooper is trying to piece his life back together in Twin Peaks. He's got his identity back, but he's off-balance, haunted, and has complete lodge amnesia. He moves into Margaret's house in the woods, is in custody of the log, and effectively lives as a hermit, brewing his own damn coffee as he tries to figure out his life and regain his balance. Then the woods somehow begin to speak to him. He glimpses some fleeting apparition of a girl in the mist. He hears things, but he's psychologically frail, and doesn't know if it's his mind or something else. This unfolds like a folk tale and an intimate character study. We would seldom leave the woods, let alone the town of Twin Peaks. Resolving this situation would finally return us to what is more or less full Cooper. It would end just as he's making some snappy quip to Harry, who can hardly believe that his old friend is back to normal. We'd get about 30 seconds of good ol' Coop, then it would end, and there would be another cycle of outrage, and then maybe there would be no more Twin Peaks, but we'd know that Twin Peaks goes on, even though we can't see it.
LostInTheMovies wrote:I only fear an open ending inasmuch as it's something that *has* to be followed up on (and then either might not be or might be in a disappointing way). But then again, I'm someone who felt the original series finale & Fire Walk With Me were already "closed" enough so maybe my threshold for that is pretty high and I shouldn't worry.
You shouldn't worry, because Lynch won't do anything if he's not feeling it. So if he's not feeling more Twin Peaks, he won't do it. No problem. If he is feeling it, then it's the right thing to do, because Lynch should be doing what he feels like doing. Simplify!
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Not sure I'll last another 25 years. Some closure would be nice!
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I have to admit, the only ending that would satisfy me is one that leaves everyone's jaw on their chest, thinking 'what the hell?' and 'where's the ending?'. A show like this shouldn't 'end' in any conventional sense, it should get truncated, like a snail bitten in two by a demonic goblin. Everyone should be drenched in a feeling of being robbed, feeling loss and emptiness in their bellies. I'm a bit in tow to the imp of the perverse, but there you go.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Cappy wrote:Sheriff Harry Truman walks into the police station. He is chewing a donut.

Lucy immediately bombards him with a long winded synopsis of everything that has transpired.

Truman chews very slowly, swallowing only when Lucy rushes off to the bathroom. She says she is sorry for eating evidence that is 25 years old.

Truman swallows his donut.
Sounds like the best ending ever!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.