Theories & Speculation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Re: Theories & Speculation

Post by Hester Prynne »

Well - so much for this theory . . .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiew ... 54491/amp/

Really wish the interviewer had asked about other theories since he seemed to be in a talkative mood.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

He’s denied that one before (or maybe it was Sabrina on his behalf, I forget). I’m not surprised. That’s just not the kind of game Lynch typically plays with the audience.

It is pretty funny that he flaty dismisses that theory as “bullshit,” then immediately thereafter says all theories/interpretations are valid.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Yeah, he already said that like a year ago.
I wonder how our user Deep Thought feels about it.
I'll see you in the trees
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

The biggest problem with the theory, is that the original posted theory surmised that the episodes were "meant" to be viewed together, implying intent from the artists. Which anyone should have been able to tell you was absurd. It's enough work to write, shoot, and edit together two episodes of a television show, but then to go through the gargantuan task of making sure that they synchronized as some secret cypher in the hopes that someone out there will try it and unlock the key.... (and honestly while interesting, playing them concurrently doesn't reveal anything) If it had been framed as nothing more than an interesting experiment, it wouldn't be BS.
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

I've always hated that theory about simultaneous watching ep 17 and 18 and I suspect that Lynch had a similar gut reaction.

Lynch wants to immerse you in a world. When Season 3 was airing, I recall an interview in which he said that the best way to watch it is on the biggest screen you can and with headphones.

Setting up two screens and trying to watch that way goes against that immersion, I think. If you're watching (and listening) to two things at a time, you're not going to get the full effect of either.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Wondering if 430 refers to a page number. I know Coop says it’s exactly 430 miles, but as a character in a story, maybe it’s the distance from the beginning of one story to the next, hence, Laura’s name as “Carrie Page.”